Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Why do most pro's use eggbeaters?

I've attended a couple of WC xc races and noticed the wide use of eggbeater pedals by what seems like the majority of the pro's. What would be the reasons behind this? I understand weight is an issue plus sponsership to a degree but I have read many indifferent reports about these pedals and wonder why they are prepared to risk potential problems etc for just over 100 -150 grams.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thats the wonder of weight weenie syndrome.. The lighter, the better no matter what!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    It's pretty simple. Pros are not going to worry about long term durability of their components. The rest of us generally do.

mtbr member
    Yup. They're light, easy/easiest to get into and work in all conditions. The only problem with Eggs are they break. I would imagine the mechanics keep a close eye on the pedals and rebuild/replace them when necessary.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Also all the pro's riding other than shimano, have to pick their own pedals leaving CB, Look and others free to sponsor them. Shimano sponsored riders of course get to use shimano pedals of their choice.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Some pros have it written into their contract that they can use whatever they want to win. Kabush is sponsored by Shimano but uses Eggs and Stan's ... lots of racers do that. Some cover the logos up or even relabel parts with their sponsors name on them.
    Lance was riding a Litespeed in those early Tour TT because Trek didn't have a decent bike for him. The bike says Trek but it's not a Trek. That kind of thing happens all the time.

mtbr member
    The more you ride the more critical pedal selection becomes to avoid injury. Pedals are a very personal decision, based on fit, my guess is that the free float of the EggBeaters is kind to the knees. And why so many pros use them.

I went to Shimano, and went back after knee problems arose. I found the durability between the two to be the same. Although I think that most have better luck with Shimano for durability. I also seemed to be a touch slower on the Shimano's, likely because the friction in the float was limiting me from a biomechanics point of view. Use what fits you best.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I say why DON'T most riders use them? I've had the same pair for over 4 years now. Not one single problem. And these were the (at the time) cheapest spec for $50. I love how light, easy entry /exit and basic they are. Not to mention I've never had them clog to the point I couldn't engage my cleat.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Because SRAM sponsors more races then Shimano. SRAM doesn't want their riders using Shimano products.

Actually my experience is egg beaters are still pretty rare. Most none Shimano riders chose Time
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Don't know any pro's but I used them one season and went back to Shimano spd's. The brass cleats wear out fast and eggbeaters and rocks are not a good thing IMO - Good old XT or XTR anyday here

But yeah if you are sponsored you use the product right?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Because SRAM sponsors more races then Shimano. SRAM doesn't want their riders using Shimano products.

Actually my experience is egg beaters are still pretty rare. Most none Shimano riders chose Time
    At our races most of the Pros are on TIME as well.

mtbr member
    I've used EB forever with no issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    function and performance. there may be other options that are as good but i haven't had the chance/need to try them. tried shimano. don't like having to replace pedals mid race.

i just haven't had all the issues that others have had.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    For every person who gets flawless results with EB, there's ten who have problems.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    All my bike have EB no problems here

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post

I was wondering if the information is in fact correct that egg beaters are a popular choice among pros. I don't get to see Pro XCT or World Cup events live, but have never noticed egg beaters as a dominant pedal in advertisements or anything. If a large percentage of pros were in fact using them I'd think there would be some ads in cycling magazines to that affect but I don't ever remember seeing one.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    For every person who gets flawless results with EB, there's ten who have problems.
    4 sets...no odd problems to report??

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback View Post
    I was wondering if the information is in fact correct that egg beaters are a popular choice among pros. I don't get to see Pro XCT or World Cup events live, but have never noticed egg beaters as a dominant pedal in advertisements or anything. If a large percentage of pros were in fact using them I'd think there would be some ads in cycling magazines to that affect but I don't ever remember seeing one.
    The pros using the pedals is the advertising. Magazines don't go out making advertisements, it's the manufacturer who pays the magazine for advertising.

3 sets of EBs never an issue. One set of SPD, also never an issue. I do enjoy the float and weight savings of the EB 11s though.
    2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross

MTBR would like you to know that I am employed by a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Never had an issue with my egg beaters. Been running two sets since 2006 and had zero issues. I now run candy 3s since I like a little platform for the longer endurance races.

Usually the only people that say anything about a product are those that have problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    First time you will see me agreeing with D8, two pairs of eggbeaters and two broken pedals (one wing and one spring) and I didn't hit them on anything either. I weigh 130 lbs and race XC. I now use Ti Frogs and they have the stability of a road pedal, their downfall is they are useless if you get alot of dirt caked on the cleat.

mtbr member
    Have one friend in Salt Lake who broke his EB during a ride. His were 5 years old though. (see pic below).

Another friend who broke hers during Linda Wallenfels camp in St. George. I believe hers weren't that old.

That was enough data to steer me away from them. Plus the fact that I pedal strike so damn much. Shimano's are freakin' bullet proof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why do most pro's use eggbeaters?-broken-pedal.jpg  

Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

XC racer
    May 2005
    Another happy Eggbeater user. Got my first set OEM on a 2005 Scale LTD, the old triple ti's. Had them serviced twice for free by Crank Brothers. The springs finally just wore out and I gave them to a kid on my team a couple months ago. He sent them into CB, who told him the cost to rebuild was more than they were worth, but they gave him a $100 credit on some new pedals of his choice. Pretty good customer service in my book.
    I have a second set that's 3-4 years old on my cross bike. Doesn't get as much mileage but conditions are often worse than on my mtb. I have a 5 month old set of 11's on my mtb now, so far so good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishExperiment View Post
    The pros using the pedals is the advertising. Magazines don't go out making advertisements, it's the manufacturer who pays the magazine for advertising.

3 sets of EBs never an issue. One set of SPD, also never an issue. I do enjoy the float and weight savings of the EB 11s though.
    Crank Brothers buys ads in magazines and I see them frequently. But the ones I see relate to their wheel sets or their other pedals. If a large percentage of pros were in fact using egg beaters, Crank Brothers would likely be advertising that fact. It is a great, great way to show you have a superior product and a marketing opportunity a company likely would not pass up.

I used to use egg beaters, they are nice pedals. The float helped me with an overuse knee injury I had developed with SPD pedals. But when the egg beaters wore out I opted for Look Quartz pedals on the recommendation of a couple of local pros who use them.

I prefer the Quartz now because of the bigger contact patch and I really feel like I can stand and rip up hills without fear of the cleat disengaging--which had been a weakness of the egg beaters. Even though I replaced the cleats frequently, they still wore out quickly and my foot would come out too often when standing to climb.

It is a good pedal, but has weaknesses. If I could get a new set of cleats and springs every month, I'd probably use them again. But long term they didn't last.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i can honestly say that there were quite a lot of CB pedals on the bikes at World Championships. i don't know if they were used there as a special occasion for the mud, but they were used. i explicitly remember because i was told by CB that we could NOT purchase 11's for Allison for Worlds as they were not available. when we arrived in Canadia, quite a few of the women had them on their bikes and i was somewhat disappointed that we were left out.

i have since purchased two sets of 11's (one for me and one for her) and a set of 3's on my road bike they have all been awesome, i feel they are an improvement over the old pedals which are still on the rest of the bikes in our garage.

every bike i ride has CB pedals on it. we do not get them for free. i have ridden well over 4000 miles in the first six months of this year, so i would say they have treated me fairly!

can't deny that some have had issues. guess i got/am getting lucky.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

likes to ride bikes
    Julien Absalon is sponsored by Time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast