Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Whos went Full suspension to hardtail

I just don't get in the miles anymore do to work and mostly a 4 year old who loves to send time with me on the weekends and I love to spend time with him.

I'm down to about 15 miles MTb a week.

I have a Santa Cruz nickel set up 650b and it weighs 26lbs flat. I can buy a Chinese carbon 650 frame swap my parts and drop 5 lbs.

Just wondering how bad it's gonna beat me up. I'm 42 average speed rider with decent skills. (Road raced motorcycles,raced bmx back in the day,skateboarder) and have been MTb for the last 5 years.

I also live very close to a paved greenway that has miles miles of good riding. I have a set of road wheels that I also throw on my MTb for extra cardio during the week. I've thought of a road bike but a light hardtail might be a good bike for both.

Thanks

Wrench
    Hey Vizsla,

I went from a Santa Cruz Blur XCc to a Jamis Nemesis. I dropped a little over a pound from the bike, but the efficiency gained in pedaling was noticeable.

My carbon seatpost helps with the bumps, and I feel more at home on a hardtail anyway. I think you should do it. You may find that the significant weight savings makes for a more fun ride.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Really depends on what your local trails are like. Generally the quicker a trail is the more advantageous a dually is.

The hardtail will feel really rough when you first get on it. You will adjust within a ride or two.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

COTA member
    After three seasons on FS I went to a HT. So far so good.

mtbr member
    More info. I live in florida. Some roots some rocks but mostly fast and flows. I have had some minor lower back issues it acts up every 5 years or so. I had 2 hardtail 29ers years ago but honestly can't remember what it was like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My back had been getting really sore on longer rougher races with the hardtail, I have been away from racing for 15+ years, I decided to try some back exercises and go for a stronger back and not have to drop $3k+ on a fs race bike. So far so good, my back is feeling good and I'm sleeping better; not waking up with an uncomfortable back. I do pushups/situps/chin-ups and recently added back extensions and 'reverse situps' using an exercise ball, -all after bike workouts. From what I've been reading, I'm going to add a carbon post, I also use a relatively soft saddle, Specialized Rival SL, I can't handle a hard saddle on a hardtail anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went from FS 26 to HT 29er at the start of last year and very glad I did. Even on rough rocky and rooty trails I don't miss the rear shock and love the efficiency gains and simpler setup / maint benefits. IMO, if you're reasonably flexible and fit overall with good lower back and core muscle strength, you should be fine on a HT. I'm 43yo btw. Most shock absorption comes from your legs even on a FS bike so I think the ride quality and control benefit of a rear shock on a bicycle is somewhat marginal. Just my 0.02. I'm sure FS proponents will disagree and it certainly seems like the industry is pushing the FS packages hard, but I'm very happy with my cheaper, lighter and simpler HT setup.

mtbr member
    This year I've had less back issues than ever. I contribute that to the following:
    -Core strength exercises: sit ups, planks (which some experts say is best exercise for strengthing lower back), lots of stretching.
    -Not doing any long hard MTB rides or races (2+ hours). When i get out for long rides, I usually ride Z2 on the RB and MTB. I do my intensity in interval format which reduces the overall load on my back, compared to long hard rides.
    -The 5 MTB races i've done are all <1 hour (midweeks). Not enough time to jack up my back.
    -Changed my saddle from Rocket V to Fizik Tundra on my Giant Anthem 29er. It could be that Rocket V was worn out; it was old.

Last year I owned a Cannondale Flash for 4 months (wanted it for the 1 hour climb at 2012 Nationals). Awesome bike. But FS 29er is ideal for our rocky midweek course here in Northern Utah; it's soooo much faster on the rocky flats and downhills. If our midweek course was smoother I'd definitely just own the Flash, especially since it rode so nice on the road.

Hmmmm, the Flash also had a Fizik Tundra and the bike never hurt my back. Maybe it's the saddle?
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I went from riding/training/racing a 26" FS for 3 years to a 29er HT last year. I LOVED it. I still miss it, honestly. It's a little more rough, but way better than a 26" HT I think. I actually have logged some of my fastest descent times (climbs too) on my 29er HT last year. I was pretty fit and confident descending at the time, which didn't hurt, but still was logging good solid training and races on my bike.

I'm back on a 26" FS, and miss the HT quite a bit at times. I demo'd a Specialized Stumpy FSR 29er Elite last weekend and it was just a beast. Slowed down my already slow climbing, but was crazy awesome to descend. I wouldn't get it for XC racing, but it was fun to ride Still loved the 29er HT, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I moved from FS 26" to HT 26", this HT is newer bike, but I took it for racing, because it's lighter and faster...I drive it 2-3 weeks and I didn't used to on it on downhill sections, but on uphill I feel much much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I went from 29er full suspension to 29er hardtail and it was really hard on my back at first. But i have had back issues for years. I got a thudbuster and it helped a lot. My new experiment is to remove the thudbuster and put on maxxis ardent 2.4's with stans flow rims and run at really low pressure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Over the past 18 years I have gone from FS26 to HT26, back to FS26, and then a HT29 and now have a FS29. Both HT made me a much better rider, but both types of bikes can serve you well. I say ride ride what you like. Personally, I love them all.

mtbr member
    Pulled the trigger on a frame. Swapping my stuff to a carbon 27.5 hardtail after riding a freinds 19lb 29er hardtail. It was a rocket and no were near as bad as I though it would be.

Always pushing harder!!!
    me...and I hate it!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I too went from a 26" FS to a 29" hardtail. I don't really notice much of a difference in small bump compliance, but I did notice a BIG difference in efficiency going to the hardtail. In fairness to my FS it was a Trance, so more of a "trail bike" than a race bike. But, in the area I ride/race (Charlotte,NC) I don't miss my FS bike a bit. Where F/S really seemed to shine to me was when I went somewhere that was VERY rooty/rocky and required rear tire absorption to climb more efficiently. On rough climbs FS definitely out climb a HT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a Scott Spark 920 29er f/s with lockout. The other week I had a Scale (same spec, just a hard tail) on demo whilst they serviced mine and boy was it fast! However, off road it was a lot more fatiguing. I was glad to get mine back and have even claimed back the PB's I set on the Scale

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm giving it some serious thought. Currently on a 2012 Epic (Alloy) that I really like. But I am giving strong consideration to getting my first Carbon as a HT. This forum has encouraged me.

mtbr member

Re: Whos went Full suspension to hardtail

I went from 26" fs to 29er hardtail and though I enjoyed my fs a lot, I'm in love with my 29er. It's a bit rougher ride at first till i got used to not being in the saddle most of the time. I think 26" fs was more bike than I needed for where I ride. And I'm a better rider cause of it too as I had to learn to ride with a rear end that would bounce instead of absorb the bumps.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just sold an s-works epic for a Yeti arc carbon.

So far loving it, even compared to a bike like the epic the hardtail is just so much stiffer on the climbs.

Definitely have to work harder overall getting the weight off the saddle more often, but for me the benefits of a lighter/stiffer bike outweigh the negatives.

mtbr member
    So i built my 650b chinese carbon hardtail. Oh my! Dropped 6 lbs in weight from the bike. Its a freakin rocket. I have no regrets. Very precise,agile and climbs like a goat. Ill take the little bit of harshness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I went from a Specialized FSR 26er to an Orbea HT 29er. Hated it. Added a Thudbuster. Still hated it. Almost quit mountain biking. Got a Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 29er, and fell in love with the sport again. Now I'm thinking of going to an Epic WC for racing. Trails around here too rough for a HT for me, although a lot of racers seem to manage....

mtbr member
    I love the different opinions...it what makes life interesting. I have both 29 FS and 29 HT. Although I appreciate the efficiency of the HT, 8 out of 10 times I will prefer the FS. Yes you give up some weight and efficiency on climbs, but it's so much smoother and better everywhere else for me. For example, on my local climbs, I give up a few seconds climbing but can make that up and then some on descents and flat rough trails. In addition, I'm starting to do a few longer races and there the FS is a no brainier. Heck, sometimes towards the end even on a FS I'm feeling a little beat up...the HT would be painful. (I'm sure the harden the f up rule applies somewhere here...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trail bike = fun = full squish

XC = fast = hardtail

Of course there is some overlap, but for around here and for my riding style that is the case. . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have been trying recently to make the switch. my main bike is a full sus 29er so going to a hardtail 29er feels a little harsh. the one spot where I definitely notice a loss of speed is on fast rooty stuff and on bumpy decents. the sections that you just lay of the breaks and cruise through I definitely notice the rear tire smacking every bump and it definitely feels like it is robbing momentum that I don't lose when in my full suspension bike.

i am running a 2.1 sb8 in the back so whenever i get a little cash together i am going to go up in volume maybe a 2.3 tire might help keep me going forward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I went 26 HT --> 26 FS --> 29 HT.

A lightweight 29 FS may be the way to go for my longer races or stage races. However, as a familiy dad my budget is rather limited now. I'm already happy that I could make the switch to a 29 HT.

Wish there were robust, lightweight 2.4 tires and enough clearance on my frame. This would push the boundaries of a 29 HT even further.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast