mtbr member

Indoor Spinning Poll

Since we have had a terrible fall in respect to rainy weather and the snow will be flying here soon, I thought I would post a quick poll.

1. Do you ride indoors?

2. If yes, where?

3. What type of equipment are you using?

Trying to get in the mood for indoor training. Thanks.

Neil
    Last edited by mtbmeister; 10-17-2006 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Title Correnction

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Since we have had a terrible fall in respect to rainy weather and the snow will be flying here soon, I thought I would post a quick poll.

1. Do you ride indoors?

2. If yes, where?

Neil
    Before I answer, Neil - are you actually doing a Poll with options, or just as you have it posted?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

I love Pisgah
    Just got off mine(its been raining the last 2 days).

Where? N. Ga. We can ride year round down here tho, but its nice to have the option when its otherwise hard to get out the door.

I use a cheap Supergo label mag trainer with my roadie mnted.

mtbr member

no choice

1. Do you ride indoors?

2. If yes, where?

Neil
    In the western UP of michigan, we have already had our first snow (2 feet in the 'higher' elevations). But too wet and polluted with leaves to cross country ski on.

This is the first time I am going into the off season with a structured plan for the trainer.

I use a TACX FLOW $350. $100 more expensive than the mid level trainers, but it does have a manual calibration feature for the electromagnetic brake that is supposed to give consistent power output readings, hopefully allowing a gradual ramp-up in poweroutput for the various interval types over the winter. Computer screen attaches to handle bar for power readout, cadence etc.

mtbr member

Answer as you wish...

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Before I answer, Neil - are you actually doing a Poll with options, or just as you have it posted?
    Hey Andrew,

Answer as you wish. I am interested in what everyone is doing...Thx.

N.

I <3 29ers
    Okay.

Indoors? Yes. Started last winter. Didn't do it very often. Suffered this year. Now i've learned and know better. It'll be nice to not only keep myself in better shape through the winter (and make it less straining on my scrawny butt when shoveling!), but to also have a "head start" for next year.

Where? I'm assuming you mean where as in "where is the bike/trainer/whatever" - last year was in the basement, where it's veeeeery warm (hot, actually) and tooooooo dry. This time 'round it'll be in the garage. Yes, garage. There's incentive there - it's friggin' COLD ..... DON'T STOP!

Equipment? Bought 2 trainers last year. A Minoura RDA 850 (rim drive with remote tension adjustment ..... thanks Doug!) and a Minoura Magturbo (tire drive, adjustment is down at the bottom). Yes, two - the former was skihillguy's and the latter was too good a deal to pass up. (want one??!?!??!!) Gonna use a HT frame I just built up and use that. I've heard, and agree with, that using a FS bike on a trainer might lead to pre-mature degredation of pivots. I have the option to not take the chance and will exercise it (sorry, no pun intended).

In MY case I really need to do this. I have a history of back problems and i'm trying to avoid the BS i've been acustomed to with winter.

Lots of good reading here about "getting in the mood". Put the missus on a treadmill in a bikini in front of you and "go get her!" Or you can just listen to music, watch TV or read (read????? ).

Hey, if you want to try a trainer out for a week or two to see if it's something you think you'll actually do let me know and i'll let you borrow one of mine. No, really.

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I use a trainer

I use a trainer in the garage in Northern Illinois. A Minora mag with remote but this year I think I'm going to get the Flow as stevemtu tipped me of in a previous post. I don't think MY current one will make another year and I want to play around with the wattage and quantify my workouts a bit more. I've used the mag with remote for 5 or so seasons. Last year I think I started a little early (December) this year I'm going to get caught up with some neglected drinking time. And start my structured training a bit later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just started training, this winter. I'm doing hour long spinning classes three times a week, two workouts at the gym doing light weight lifting and eventually will drag my ass to yoga class. lol Really starting to notice differences in my body already after a week and a half! I can't wait to see the results in March when I do my first race!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    In the western UP of michigan, we have already had our first snow (2 feet in the 'higher' elevations).
    Steve, "hello" from a fellow Yooper. I am over in Munising. I was envious of your two-feet of snow. We got maybe a centimeter that night. OTOH, my snowblower is still in multiple pieces, so it's just as well that we didn't get the two feet.

On the indoor trainer question, I don't race, so I don't really worry about training all winter. I do worry about getting enough exercise though (a constant problem). We used to own an indoor exercise bike. Motivation was always the problem. It's boring to peddle and not go anywhere. Riding outdoors is a completely different story for some reason. This year I've ordered up a set of studded tires as an experiment. Will they work? Will I really want to ride bike when everyone else is on snowmobiles? I'm a gonna find out .

mtbr member

Hi Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Steve, "hello" from a fellow Yooper. I am over in Munising. I was envious of your two-feet of snow. We got maybe a centimeter that night. OTOH, my snowblower is still in multiple pieces, so it's just as well that we didn't get the two feet.

On the indoor trainer question, I don't race, so I don't really worry about training all winter. I do worry about getting enough exercise though (a constant problem). We used to own an indoor exercise bike. Motivation was always the problem. It's boring to peddle and not go anywhere. Riding outdoors is a completely different story for some reason. This year I've ordered up a set of studded tires as an experiment. Will they work? Will I really want to ride bike when everyone else is on snowmobiles? I'm a gonna find out .
    I have seen guys riding around campus on studded tires, but I have never tried it my self. I know one guy who has built up a pugsly (sp) 'snow bike' with 4 inch tires (that's diameter) and he plans on riding the snowshoe trails (which are the same as the mtb trails) this winter.

yep, riding on the trainer requires masochistic tendencies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah Andrew I appreciate the kudos. Just glad it was able to be out to good use. I just picked myself up a new trainer to use with my road bike indoors for the winter. Although it doesn't seem like winter yet.

But I get up and spin for 30 min before riding to work, and then spin again when i get home from work. I plan on being in great shape when i get the new KONA!

Just may have to take a vacation back east Andrew and join in on one of Chico's 24 hour events......

I'm a unitard!
    Absolutely. I might be even able to argue that I spend as many hours a year indoors as I do outdoors. It's probably close.

I'm in Denver, Colorado. During the winter, I'm on it 4 days during the week. Most weekends are nice enough that you can get outside on the road bike. Even when it snows, it usually gets into the 50s a couple of days later and melts all the snow. I also usually hit XC skiing up in the mountains one day on the weekend December through Feb.

The nice thing about it here is in the depths of Winter (Jan and Feb) it's usually pretty dry and for the most part pretty mild. It's March and April when you're freaking tired of the trainer that we start getting a ton of snow.

Edit: I forgot the equipment part. I have a Volare fluid trainer that I've had for going on 6 years now. The thing still works and it has major miles on it. I also have a groove in the resistance mechanism like *rt* mentions below. Ipod, TV, DVD player, and a fan are a must too. It's fun to put the ipod on and watching stupid pretty people shows (like the OC) and make up the lines for the characters. Much more entertaining than the real lines.

Duckman, I've seen your posts a million times, but never realized you were from N Ga. That is where I grew up and went on my first mountain bike ride.
    Last edited by mtbfool; 10-18-2006 at 09:35 AM.

i worship Mr T
    1. Do you ride indoors? yes, when i have to.

2. If yes, where? in my living room

3. What type of equipment are you using? a blackburn magnetic trainer that i got for free about 6 years ago and my old roadie which i've consigned to the trainer. i've put so many miles on the trainer that i've worn a groove with my tire (slick roadie tire) in the resistance wheel.

oh, and the other important piece of equipment is my TV. i have to have something to keep me entertained while riding the trainer. i'm fond of watching news and college basketball while i ride.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    1. Do you ride indoors? i have to have something to keep me entertained while riding the trainer. i'm fond of watching news and college basketball while i ride.

rt

The college ball and stick sports are a good distraction. The only thing is I find myself using too much body english and messing up my form.

Looking for Adventure

Don't like going solo on trainers

1. Do you ride indoors?

Only with spinning groups. Otherwise, I ride outdoors all through the winter (snow permitting). I do much less biking and more outdoor cross training in the off season, such as X country skiing and trail running (on those same MTB trails!). Helps build those muscles neglected on the bike, and gives my riding muscles a break.

2. If yes, where?

Spinning classes at Oakville YMCA (really good), or Gears Bike Shop in Mississauga.
    Indoor trainers plain suck.....I am an outdoors social person, bad weather or not. I can't last more than 30 minutes on a solo trainer, and never enjoy the experience.

Last edited by Ricksom; 10-18-2006 at 10:31 AM.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

bang

1. Do you ride indoors?

2. If yes, where?

Neil
    a different kind of indoor riding

mtbr member
    1. Do you ride indoors?
    Yes, try to do it as little as possible though. Only when absolutely necessary. I would rather cross train or ride in dark freezing temps than ride indoors.

2. If yes, where?
    Utah is where I live. Either in the living room, the garage, or spin class.

Krietler rollers with Trek 5500 road bike. Some spin bikes at the classes seem to hurt my knees for some reason.

I <3 29ers
    Skihillguy - YES! It would be nice to actually meet you in person.

*rt* - magnetic trainer? Que? Share please? (and apologies for not mentioning having a hunky fireman infront of you an a treadmill )

Where's Mike T with the velodrome info?

... and cookies.

mtbr member

Have you considered...

1. Do you ride indoors?

2. If yes, where?

Neil
    Using some Helmet XC Race lap DVD footage as motivation? Not trying to spaminate (new word) this thread, but I have found it extremely motivating compared to other methods of passing time on your trainer. If you would like to get your hands on some, shoot me a PM and I will give you some more details...

Neil

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yep ride indoors too. Like Poncharelli I use rollers as well I started last year, there pretty difficult to begin with but REALLY good for balance. I eventually built up to doing single leg drills and standing on the pedeals on it. They really keep your pedal work even and because you concentrate so much its gives you a good workout in a short time. This year I felt a lot more stable because of them I'm sure.
    I also do the spin classes as I find working in a group helps the boring indoor training and keeps me motivated.

I want to try XC skiing this year, I see lots of people do this as cross training does it help, how do you find it?

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    The college ball and stick sports are a good distraction. The only thing is I find myself using too much body english and messing up my form.
    LOL. if it's a really good game i forget to pedal!

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I ride indoors when it is absolutely my only option. I use to set it up in my basement and open windows so it cooled down but now I no basement so I am thinking a cheap carpet strip to catch the sweat in front of my living room tv. I use a cheap trainer that I got on sale years ago at Nashbar with my road bike.

Over the summer I worked 7-4 and had class from 5-9 3 days a week. I spent a lot of time on the trainer in my garage late at night (basement was too hot in the summer), I was too worried that if I bought lights and rode mt. bikes I would lose out on all of my hard road training work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I live in Northeast Ohio, so yes, I train indoors. A lot.

Probably 6-7 days a week, depending how wet it is on Sunday. Average workout time is about 2 hours...

Equipment are Kreitler rollers and a pretty sweet CycleOps fluid trainer. I love the rollers, but they are loud! Also, when I occasionally lose focus, our living room gets a new skid mark...oops! I took out the rocking chair the other night...

Adding a power meter to the mix has helped with the monotony (now I know exactly what I am training), and to pass the time, I "rent" (aka steal) DVDs from the shop

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Where's Mike T with the velodrome info?
    Here I am!

1. Do you ride indoors?
    I sure do!

2. If yes, where?
    Forest City Velodrome, London, Ontario Canada.

Custom Marinoni track bike plus one indoor wooden velodrome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

No longer 26
    In the basement on a Gunnar Roadie with a cyclops fluid plus trainer.
    What is this CLUE!?

BTW, I always use Spinervals DVD's or Robbie Venturac Race Day DVD.
    Greg
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Space for rent...
    I live just outside of Toronto, and I will venture out in weather down to -10C. After that it is either a trainer (basement in front of TV) or spinning classes 1-2 times/week. Must admit it is hard to get motivated on the trainer, and 1/2 hour is as much as I tolerate.
    It's only pain......

Members who have read this thread: 0