Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Who else has fallen in love with cyclocross??

Oh well, bought a CX bike, have done five races, and i just love it.

It's definitely different than MTB racing. These are the things are like:
    -Shorter race time
    -A lot more skills involved than I thought. Good skills seem more useful than in MTB racing (maybe because everyone has decent skills in MTB?).
    -It's not just about taking the course hard, but taking the course smart.
    -Not an anorexia contest, with the podium full of diverse body types (big dudes, small dudes, everything in between).
    -The barriers are really a non issue, and actually makes the racing more fun for some reason.
    -Cost relatively low.
    -Big engine guys do well, but guys with smaller engines and explosive power also kick butt.
    -Pretty fun occasional body contact
    -And the #1 thing I like: NO LONG HILLS.

Anyone else drink the kool aid?
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 11-15-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Don't take this the wrong way - a great way to start my response, lol. When I see pictures of cyclocross and I see 2 x 4's set in the middle of the course so you have to get off your bike and people carrying their bikes up a hill I just can't bring myself to even try it. Personally, I absolutely hate hiking. So the idea of having to get off my bike to run/jog portions of the course just doesn't seem appealing to me.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yep - it's a blast.

It's fun passing roadies who are more fit but cannot bunny hop small obstacles. Don't get me wrong though, the good CX racers have amazing handling skills (a la Trebone et al)

Plus there's beer!

Cross Crusade in Portland is extremely popular and fun.

Alas, after crunching my back (compression fractures to 2 vertebrae) I've opted out to preserve an active lifestyle for my "golden years."

Sure was fun though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    When I see pictures of cyclocross and I see 2 x 4's set in the middle of the course so you have to get off your bike and people carrying their bikes up a hill I just can't bring myself to even try it. Personally, I absolutely hate hiking. So the idea of having to get off my bike to run/jog portions of the course just doesn't seem appealing to me.
    Believe me, I thought the same exact thing. Now I'm actually pissed that my friends didn't try harder to convince me to try it.

My excuse was always that I would rather be MTBing in the fall (park city, moab, etc.).
    www.utahmtb.org

banned
    If you do not want to get off for the barriers you can always bunny hop them!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm having a pretty 'cross-light season this year. Most years, sooner or later I get really enthusiastic about it, though, and my first several bike races were 'cross. I didn't actually race my mountain bike in a mountain bike race for a while.

I imagine I'll vary from season to season as to which discipline I'm having the most fun with. Which is something I like about the diversity of the sport.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Registered Dietitian
    I did it heavily for a couple of seasons... always fun, but I'd start the MTB season faster than usual (in March) but by June would be a a bit burnt while everyone else was getting faster.

Racing 2x/weekend (if I wanted to contest the series) all winter = zero time for long rides to build base.

I'm a firm believer in building power in training blocks, maintaining power during racing blocks. The best I could hope to do (once at the Cat 2 CX/Cat 1 XC level) was maintain, never build, because I was constantly racing (except for February - not exactly a lot of time to build the engine).

It's a lot of fun. It also comes at exactly the worst time of year for anyone who wants to get better at XC racing year-to-year.

I wish there were some summer/early fall CX races...

ETA: the fast local CX guys in P/1/2 here are focusing on CX year-round now, and racing other disciplines a lot less, if at all. The guys who try to do all 3 year-round don't seem to progress past a certain point in any of the 3 (road, XC, CX).
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    This is my second year racing cx. I'm having a blast. I may actually like it more than mtb racing. The series here ends Dec 1st, so, plenty of "off season" before mtb racing starts back up. Depending on snow conditions, I may actually look for more cx races in Dec that are within a 4 or 5 hour drive.

mtbr member
    Did you see Joey's OK?

Joey's OK ***The Movie*** - YouTube

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    ETA: the fast local CX guys in P/1/2 here are focusing on CX year-round now, and racing other disciplines a lot less, if at all. The guys who try to do all 3 year-round don't seem to progress past a certain point in any of the 3 (road, XC, CX).
    Here too, I think. Certainly there are people who now focus on 'cross, go into hibernation for a bit in January and February, and either skip the early-season races or are in base for them.

One of my possible patterns is to start the 'cross season on Labor Day and race for as long as my fitness holds out, then call it good. Actually that was fairly workable, in my modest way, last season. This season, I didn't manage to get myself to a 'cross race until later and I was already pretty done at that point.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    I'm thinking of doing similar. Start base-training late (Feb/March) for a peak in early summer. Then base again (with strength training) in summer to start a cycle that will extend to December.

I believe I've hit the wall with MTB racing and want to try something different. I have strengths that will be more advantages in cross racing, that being relatively high repeated sprint power. Of course, threshold power will still have to be worked, but I can't seem to get over 4W/kg unless I lose more weight, which is where I've hit the wall.

Another observation is that when looking at a lot of the best cyclocrossers (Sven Nys, J. Page, T. Johnson, Driscoll, etc.) they are not down to 2 lbs/inch of height, like a lot of the riders in the big climbing disciplines. These guys are more like 2.25 lbs/inch, which is where I'm currently at, which makes me feel better. I will have to concentrate more on gaining power than losing weight.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 11-15-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    www.utahmtb.org

mtbr member
    Cross is awesome and we have some good courses in Utah, you should move up to the 35B's and get a longer race though, its just for fun anyway. I agree that the body types are a lot different, cross races are like BMX races with road bikes(and beer after the race), drop by after the race for a beer, I'll be the 35b in a sierra nevada suit, I may even race single speed later in the day this weekend. My friend Jim races the 35C's so he'll be drinking by 10:15.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who else has fallen in love with cyclocross??-amber.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnail View Post
    Cross is awesome and we have some good courses in Utah, you should move up to the 35B's and get a longer race though, its just for fun anyway. I agree that the body types are a lot different, cross races are like BMX races with road bikes(and beer after the race), drop by after the race for a beer, I'll be the 35b in a sierra nevada suit, I may even race single speed later in the day this weekend. My friend Jim races the 35C's so he'll be drinking by 10:15.
    Haha, awesome pic!! I really want to win a C race before moving up. Maybe this Sat at the fairgrounds. Mainly to serve as an example to others on how to move up (some of the Masters C guys had 10 podiums over the last 2 years, Jeez.). I'll be one and done.

But I'll probably go straight to Open 45's after the Cs. I'll look for Jim after the race for that beer!!
    www.utahmtb.org

Bro Mountainbiker
    I have fallen in love with CX this year. I hated it last year.... Dont know why. Im even enjoying the mud. I never liked racing in the mud. Weird huh?

One of the best things about cross is the head to head racing. MTB racing usually spreads out and you are alone in the woods for most of the race.

In cross, there is usually someone to race against. You can use way more tactics racing cross than mountain bike, which improves the depth and substance of the racing.

And there are always people around the course yelling and cheering to keep you from slacking off. Often times than not, I find myself "recovering" a lot when Im racing my MTB alone in the woods. There is no recovery that last more than 5 seconds in cross. Any more, and your *****ing out and getting dropped.

Also, the BEST part about cross, is that you can get fast as hell riding your bike 6-7 hours a week. Try doing that to win during MTB season...

I have had really good results this season racing cross and I have been toying with the idea of making it my main focus.

The downsides to the CX and MTB racer, is you dont have rest time, and time to build a proper base. I will have three and a half months to relax, build base, build and peak... It may not be enough time to start the MTB season strong.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Hell yeah I love cyclocross! For pretty much the same reasons Ponch mentions in his OP. Especially the NO LONG HILLS part! And as Sheepo says, the head to head racing is different than mountain biking. I enjoy racing CX more than mountain bike. I am not a strong climber, so every mountain bike race has me getting dropped on the climbs. That doesn't happen in CX, I get dropped for other reasons. But I also find myself gaining ground for other reasons like smart cornering and good technical skills. And ironically during any dismount/barrier sections, I don't know why I seem to do them fairly well. And for anyone who is turned off by the idea of running during a bike race, make no mistake that it is a BIKE race and not a running race. The total amount of time in a typical race that is spent off the bike is very small, sometimes none at all. The CX races with tons of running are rare and usually due to weather and course conditions and not by any particular design.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to pick CX back up much at all since fatherhood. But I have picked up enough mountain bike racing again that if I get an opportunity to expand my racing opportunities I will do it in cyclocross.

mtbr member
    I think you guys are starting to convince me that CX racing might be kind of cool, lol. Especially the body weight and training time differences. I just got a road bike this summer for training and have only done mtb races so far - this summer being my first year for racing at all. You can't use a road bike in CX races though, right?

mtbr member
    I think you guys are starting to convince me that CX racing might be kind of cool, lol. Especially the body weight and training time differences. I just got a road bike this summer for training and have only done mtb races so far - this summer being my first year for racing at all. You can't use a road bike in CX races though, right?
    Another plus for CX is the "run what ya brung" attitude. At the high level of the sport there are rules that your race bikes must conform to. But below the UCI level, no one usually cares what you race and you'll see plenty of mountain bikes on the course. I would recommend a mountain bike if you don't have a CX bike, it would get you around the course better than the road bike. But you could race a roadie, too, if you wanted.

Bro Mountainbiker
    What else are you doing in the off season?

I started because I was bored. And now I love it. Give it a shot. Put some CX tires on your 29er and go have fun and drink beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    What else are you doing in the off season?

I started because I was bored. And now I love it. Give it a shot. Put some CX tires on your 29er and go have fun and drink beer.
    29er!!! I don't have no stinkin' 29er. Just kidding, I really don't have a 29er though. If I tried a CX race I would probably use my HT, I have an extra set of wheels I used to use for road riding and I could throw a narrower, faster tread on them. Otherwise in the off-season I ride outside but my feet can't handle more than an hour when the temps hit below zero with wind chill. So the rest of the time is on the trainer, just started doing sufferfest this year.

I'll have to see if there are any other CX races in my area this year -- Albany, NY

Bro Mountainbiker
    29er!!! I don't have no stinkin' 29er.
    Well sir, I think we found your problem.

mtbr member
    29er!!! I don't have no stinkin' 29er. Just kidding, I really don't have a 29er though. If I tried a CX race I would probably use my HT, I have an extra set of wheels I used to use for road riding and I could throw a narrower, faster tread on them. Otherwise in the off-season I ride outside but my feet can't handle more than an hour when the temps hit below zero with wind chill. So the rest of the time is on the trainer, just started doing sufferfest this year.

I'll have to see if there are any other CX races in my area this year -- Albany, NY
    There is, check out the NYCROSS series- the last race was sunday so you'll have to wait for next year though
    Alot of mtb racers in the series, you should fit right in

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have serious birth defect related foot problems. I always got my ass kicked in running or jumping sports. One of the reasons that I fell in love with cycling was it was a sport that I could participate on a fairly level field with "normal" people. I absolutely suck at running so CX is not a good fit for me, although I wish it was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I really hated it at first, I assumed I'd be good and well I just wasn't. A few years later I tried again and put the time into practicing the little handful of skills required to keep up and found it was something I could get good at. Over the years I won a couple state championships and a bunch of local races and got lapped my share of times too. I'm in my 50's now and run a weekly practice, promote a race and help with others. I still race and find it's my favorite time of year.

I think it helps my MTB skills, especially figuring out lines and apex better and helps me on the road when things get dicey. The people in the sport are a lot of fun and the races are family friendly and short.

I think it's a worthwhile activity in the fall, as we don't have much racing and the winter is plenty of time for just training from my perspective.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    2010 I did a bit of CX and really enjoyed it, but looking back at Autumn I saw all the missed opportunities for long mtb rides and was bummed. For me I'd rather go on a 3-7 hour mtb ride in the Fall than race 45 minutes and spend X amount of time driving to and from the race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    While I like riding my MTB best, cross races are more fun than MTB races for me. I think its the spectators that make it so. MTB is more "go off into the woods and come back eventually" while cross there are people (complete strangers) heckling/cheering/persuading you all over the course - kinda like a "real" sporting event. And the course is so short that there is usually someone to race against/with.

The barriers and obstacles are a total non issue if you have any bike skills whatsoever. Everyone seems to make such a big deal about practicing dismounting/mounting. I practiced it for 3 minutes before my first race and I was fine. In fact, obstacles are usually where I pass people. Its the other 98% of the race that I suck at.
    My other bike is a /7.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast