Always Learning

Where to order oversize mountain bike plate race numbers?

Does anyone know of a company that makes custom race numbers for mountain biking races that are larger than the traditional 7 1/2" x 6" number plates? I'm looking for a number plate that can handle a transponder for chip timing. The transponders would work fine on a plate that is at least 8" x 6".

I've always used Rainbow Racing Systems number plates, but their permafiber is limited to only 7 1/2" x 6".

TIA
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    have you looked at motocross numbers? Or atv number plates?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    have you looked at motocross numbers? Or atv number plates?
    Not yet. Somebody PM'd a company called bibnumbers.com which looks like they have a custom size that would work.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Where to order oversize mountain bike plate race numbers?

Budu racing here in the seattle area uses transponders on the back of ordinary paper numbers. Not even especially nice or durable numbers. The transponders are surprisingly compact and affixed to the back of the number plate. The number provided at the first event is expected to be used for the entire series. I assume they're cheap as well since they don't ask for them back.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Budu racing here in the seattle area uses transponders on the back of ordinary paper numbers. Not even especially nice or durable numbers. The transponders are surprisingly compact and affixed to the back of the number plate. The number provided at the first event is expected to be used for the entire series. I assume they're cheap as well since they don't ask for them back.
    I've contracted a timing company that uses a disposable chip, but it's for one race only. I also have used a permanent chip on the back of a plate for an entire series that is disposable and small. However the company I've hired out primarily does running races with the larger, softer bib numbers and their transponder is larger than the typical 7 1/2" x 6" plate. When I used them before, the transponders hung below the bottom edge of the number plate and we had to trim as much material off as possible without destroying the function of the transponder. Trimming 175+ transponders takes more time than we had and held things up at registration for those that registered day of race.

There is no shortage of getting the larger bib numbers that runners use, however they are a flimsy material that do not do well on the front of a mountain bike - hence my hunt for a more durable permafiber or some such material. Sounds like bibnumbers.com has the size I need. I haven't contacted them yet for a quote to see how much it will cost compared to Rainbow Racing that I have used for the past 6 years - but hopefully it will be a similar cost.

I guess we could always use paper or plastic plates...