mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Where do you find time to train?

Not sure about you folk but between the house, sleep, work, dog, other hobbies and wife, my days and evenings are EASILY filled 24/7.

Trying to find 2-3 hours of quality training time (including drive to trail, ride, maintain bike, shower, etc) a week, let alone ride 3 to 4X a week to train properly is near impossible. Esp. if you factor in trying to schedule training around the weather conditions.

I'd have tons of time if I quit my job.

PS - forget about indoor trainers, that is like ZERO fun and has no bumps.

mtbr member
    I hate to say it, but the road bike is my answer. I also run 40km a week, because it's really easy to fit in a 45min run at lunch during work.

These days I've only been getting to the trail 1 or 2 days a week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Use a reel type push mower to warm up for an early Sunday ride- with no engine you can warm up anytime. Other yard and house work- raking sweeping can be aerobic workouts with or without riding. Ride on any short errands. Two shorter rides like 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening is just as good as 1 longer ride. Make the rides quality time varying your cadence and effort. Know what you are going to wear on Sunday when you go to bed Saturday night. Sneak in a ride before others get out of bed.

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroy
    Not sure about you folk but between the house, sleep, work, dog, other hobbies and wife, my days and evenings are EASILY filled 24/7.

Trying to find 2-3 hours of quality training time (including drive to trail, ride, maintain bike, shower, etc) a week, let alone ride 3 to 4X a week to train properly is near impossible. Esp. if you factor in trying to schedule training around the weather conditions.

Kill the dog.

Supersonic Garfield

Try reversing it,and make all those factors work around a training schedule instead of fitting the ride into everything else. Set a goal of spending 3hrs 3times a week on the bike. Talk it over with your wife and plan around it. Set certain days and times.

In 2-3 weeks time you´ll have more energy, and possibly more structure into what you fill your days with.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    As someone already mentioned - Get ye a road bike

It’s easy for me to say as someone who mainly races road and CX but I still mtb race 4-5 times a year.

Most guys I know who are really serious have dumped most other "hobby" type activities. Who has the time when you're on the bike 750+ hours a year and race 50+ times? You may need to give up golf or fishing or hunting or going to the bar or... gasp...your favorite television show.

Saying all that it's a heck of a lot easier to do when the majority of your friends are doing the same thing...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by dot
    Kill the dog.
    And dump the wife.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Its really easy, YOU have to decide which is more important to YOU and then plan that way.

meaning, if you decide that training and riding/working out is more important than the house work etc, plan the ride/workout and then use the spare time, or less convient time for the other things. Its all about you, and only you.

I have a house, wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 60 hour+ job, and 6 acres to take care of. I also ride 4 or more times a week, and speed skate 3 times a week. All my workouts are at least 1.5 hour long.

Its not fun, you have to make it fit if YOU decide thats what you want to do. I wanted to lose weight, get back in shape, and race again so I and a friend made the choice and commited to it.

Also yeah you have to road bike, either on a road bike or ride the mtb on the road. many reasons, time being one of them, but the endurance/sprint/drop and die of road bike riding will help you a lot.

And yeah guess what else, your gonna probably have to use a trainer some. We have a nice library of spinervals we are building to get us thru the winter and dark nights we just cant ride on.

But, it all first has to be your decision. I give up a lot in making the time. I had to choose. Im not a kid with total free time. Its not an easy choice. But once you make it, you made it either way.

And hey there is always 7am saturday and sunday mornings you can at least ride 2x a week

My two cents for what its worth

XC rider

Spin classes

I've been a big fan of spin classes at the local gym. Its great once the days start getting shorter and colder. Some days I feel like I've just finshed a crit after a good spin class.
    ccorc.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What ever is priority in your life will surface to the top of the "to do" list.

I'm sure your wife has an activity she likes to do without you? You can train while she does her activity.

Join a gym near your work. After work go directly to the gym, workout, then home. Or go before work.

For bike rides, yes, go before anyone else is awake.

As far as the trainer goes, better rent yourself some good DVD's to watch while on the trainer, and toughen up. It's difficult, but remember your goals.

Try doing real life things every two weeks instead of every week. For example, grocery shopping, house cleaning, etc.

Be proactive and efficient in your real life. If you can fill your gas tank now and save time later, do it. Or if you're in a store and you see an item you won't need for a few weeks, get it anyway (for example, a birthday present or something).

Use lots of stickies, lists, and notes to self.

Systemize things at home. Like where all your bike clothes are, etc.

Don't dawdle.

Carry things with you that you can work on in spare moments. For example, your bills

Avoid unnecessary socializing.

My people are pretty used to me working out, so they do their stuff while I do mine, and then we meet after for some good times. At first there was a little resistance, but once they saw that they still got attention and fun, things worked out. It is definitely a balancing act.
    Last edited by cgee; 10-03-2006 at 11:58 AM.

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    And dump the wife.

The wife can ride a bike. The dog can't. Killing the wife is also illegal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    "Not sure about you folk but between the house, sleep, work, dog, other hobbies and wife, my days and evenings are EASILY filled 24/7.

PS - forget about indoor trainers, that is like ZERO fun and has no bumps."

Commute to work by bike.
    I'm in the same situation as you and commuting is the only way I can get in any mileage. Get fenders and rain gear too, then you can train in any weather.

b3ksmith

one less car

you do what you gotta do

this is one of the posts/questions that you already know the answer to - if you want to find the time to train and be fast, you will. period.

this is how i do it:
    summer: bike commute "the long way." long ride or race on wknds, wed or thurs is "fun ride", plus bike commute - total hrs, 8-20/wk depending on cycle.

winter: ride for 20-60mins in the morning on the indoor while eating breakfast, drink coffee and watch the news. then ride to work. do a "fun" night ride and/or wknd ride if weather permits, otherwise on the indoor for 90-180mins/wknd day - watch a movie that is same length as the workout you have planned, time "flys" by.

TRAINING ISN'T FUN, it's something you do because you want to, you have to, you find the time in-between everything else. you do what you gotta do. and it's worth it.

recovering racer
    Quote Originally Posted by whittij
    this is one of the posts/questions that you already know the answer to - if you want to find the time to train and be fast, you will. period.
    Yup. You don't find time to train. You make time to train.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm lucky enough to be able to hit the gym during lunch. I'm there anywhere from 3-5 times a week, depending on my biking schedule. (If I'm riding on any particular day, I find it pointless to do cardio at the gym.) I'm also fortunate enough to work 5 minutes away from a trail, so I keep my bike with me and ride right after work when the weather allows. I'm usually home by 6:00 or a little after for dinner/wife time.

I know I'm probably in the minority as far as how I structure my day, but as several people have already said, you train when you can.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't race. I train so I can enjoy riding more.
    Last edited by bruejam_db; 10-03-2006 at 01:14 PM.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

mtbr member

No time or money for other hobbies

and if you have winter or wet weather or no free daylight time where you are, you'll have to learn to torture yourself on the trainer.

sorry

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whittij
    TRAINING ISN'T FUN, it's something you do because you want to, you have to, you find the time in-between everything else. you do what you gotta do. and it's worth it.
    Isn't it depressing to train with no fun?

mtbr member

training can be fun

if you have masochistic tendencies

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    30 minute runs at lunch, commuting by bike, riding the trainer, getting up before dawn to make weekend rides longer...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

This is the most important post on this forum....

Given more time - we all could be on the podium on a regular basis. It is easy intially to find time to train, but to push it and find the time to put in 10 hours a week or more, quality rest, and proper diet, -- gets REALLY hard when you have two boys under four years old, house, a wife who says "yes" to EVERY social engagement/party, etc.. 50+ hour week job, and the trappings of adult life, etc...

I wish I had the conifident tone of other posters - but I have only been 80% successful in finding enought time to really train and RECOVER right. Yes - as we get older we need to make sure that we get enough sleep to recover. Life gets in the way - the kids get me sick (A LOT!) so I lose weeks of training, my wife travels with her corp career so zero training on those days, etc...

I find it takes real structure in scheduling and communicating (setting expectations w/ wife) regarding when I will get my training rides in. And then I need to get tough and stop wasting time with the internet reading about the latest bikes, hanging out in the garage with bike parts, etc... Every minute counts - plan and schedule!!

It is a huge challenge - and it is a war I dont always win. Recognizing that I wont win and its OK has been hard to accept.

Time is what we have least of....

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    To jtc: As your kids get older time becomes more available. I find when I have too much time I'm not as disciplined. When it's the last chance to squeeze something in you will attend to it.

recovering racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1
    REALLY hard when you have two boys under four years old, house, a wife who says "yes" to EVERY social engagement/party, etc.. 50+ hour week job, and the trappings of adult life, etc...

Time is what we have least of....
    The OP didn't mention kids. That changes everything. I stopped racing when I had kids because my priorities changed. Like I said in a post awhile back -

Racing. Family. Fullfillment.

Pick two.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Well, don't

There is always the option of not "training" . . . You can just ride, stay fit and not race. That may seem like blasphemy, but if when I find that training is not driving my life it is because I need a bit of a break (training isn't the most fun thing), that I've neglected other aspects of my life or I have a nagging injury that should be allowed to heal, etc. After a few months I come back to training and it plays a bigger part in my life. Enjoy the juggling act.

Targeting an event a few months away is good. i.e. I'm hoping to be ready for a winter series which start here in January.

To be honest I think I would hate to have tons of time to train. I'd get so sick of riding. I don't know how pros do it. I personally can't imagine riding 20 hours per week. I ride about 4-7 per week and it seems good.

If you have a good base, then intervals are the most time efficient way to train. They really make you FASTER and a session only takes an hour. I think they work best when accompanied by long rides on the weekend.

Someone mentioned commuting. That would be the ideal way to get in extra time. Personally, I would just need a proper bike, like a 29er hardtail or a cyclocross bike - i.e. to be honest a road bike is just about useless to me.

If all else fails, get a new job for UPS in Southern California, buy a condo and move. No excuses then.

M

I'm a unitard!
    I don't know what to tell you. I guess, as many others have said, it depends on what your goals are. I don't know many good cyclist that don't spend a ton of time on the trainer. I'm guessing about a third (if not more) of my yearly hours are spent on the trainer. It's not fun, but you learn how to make the best of the situation. Movies are good, the ipod is good, and certain intervals help pass time.

When the weather is good, and the sun is out longer, using the road bike saves quite a bit of time. You don't have to drive anywhere to ride it, it doesn't need nearly as much maintenance, and using it reduces wear and tear on your mountain bike.

edit: I misspoke above. I don't know very many good racers that don't spend a ton of time on the trainer. There are plenty of good cyclists that never touch the trainer.
    Last edited by mtbfool; 10-04-2006 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sums it up...

Quote Originally Posted by BipedZed

Racing. Family. Fullfillment.

Pick two.
    Exactly! Problem is 98% of the people reading this forum are super competitive A Types - we dont know how to settle for just being OK at something. Or going for rides to look around at the trees. Sure - in the fall I like to go for rides and have a beer. But I enjoy structured training.

Due to structured training and committment (dropped other hobbies) - I have actually gotten faster since I had kids. I had to really committ and stay focused. But now I think I am hitting the ceiling - if I try to go to the next level - somethings gonna implode.

It was enlightening to read the post about if I had too much time I would burn-out on training. Definately a glass is half full way to look at it - and its working for me.

mtbr member

Trainer and XC Race DVDs-The Trainer Can be Fun

You know, the trainer does not have to be ZERO fun as you put it. Combining music with helmetcam race laps I have filmed has made things much more entertaining on the trainer. I feel like I am riding the local singletrack. If you would like a sample of what this stuff is like, shoot me a PM...

N.

recovering racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    I don't know what to tell you. I guess, as many others have said, it depends on what your goals are. I don't know many good cyclist that don't spend a ton of time on the trainer. I'm guessing about a third (if not more) of my yearly hours are spent on the trainer. It's not fun, but you learn how to make the best of the situation. Movies are good, the ipod is good, and certain intervals help pass time.

When the weather is good, and the sun is out longer, using the road bike saves quite a bit of time. You don't have to drive anywhere to ride it, it doesn't need nearly as much maintenance, and using it reduces wear and tear on your mountain bike.
    When I was racing seriously, I did all of my weekday training during lunch. I'm in corporate software development and was/am lucky enough to be able to take a 1.5 to 2hr lunch daily for a training road ride. I HATE riding indoors.

As an aside to mtbfool - can you ride at lunch? I ride with a group of Cat2/3/Master road racers at Cherry Creek Reservoir 4-5 days a week. We finish almost every ride with a full-on race finish complete with rotating pacelines, attacks, sprints, etc. Lotsa fun. Doesn't really work with a structured training plan, but I don't worry about that anymore.

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by BipedZed
    As an aside to mtbfool - can you ride at lunch? I ride with a group of Cat2/3/Master road racers at Cherry Creek Reservoir 4-5 days a week. We finish almost every ride with a full-on race finish complete with rotating pacelines, attacks, sprints, etc. Lotsa fun. Doesn't really work with a structured training plan, but I don't worry about that anymore.

Ah man. I wish I could. I can't be gone for too long during lunch, I have to be presentable for customers when I am here, and of course we don't have showers. Then you have the whole structured program thing. That keeps me from going to the Meridian rides. I keep wondering when this serious racing bug will go away.

I usually end up using my lunch hour for running errands.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah I also at a point after my kids were born had to make the choice to not have as many hobbies and had to cut some stuff out. One of them was MTB'ing, which was cut due to knee problems, money, and time.

So now my kids are older, oldest can watch my younger, so I dont have to be home right after work! Got my acl replaced, fixed money problems, and decided im tired of being fat and lazy. And of course as posted above, I cant do something half way, whats the fun in that?

So now new choices get made, work out issues with your wife, etc. It helps that my wife does about 75% of the training I do as well. She doesnt like road bike so she does speed skating and mtb. With MTB being her passion. So you have to work out a schedule that works for you NOW. Yes it does change, mine has changed 10x since march im sure. Sometimes its weekly, sometimes it last for weeks. Point being you gotta make it the priority if you so choose and work the other stuff in.

Being fanatical doesnt help. But yeah you can get in great shape just training 3x a week for 1 hour but you wont be in awesome shape. You will however be in good enogh shape to do just about anything you want to do and feel so much better.

Hey think thats tough, try working in an addiction to WOW/EQ2 raiding into the picture and see how far that gets

Members who have read this thread: 0