mtbr member
    Jun 2011

When to try and get a top 5 finish?

When to try and win the race?

I usually just try to finish in the middle somewhere. But starting to want more now. I race only for fun and fitness. I race 8-10 races a year and at cat 2. I ride/train 80-95 miles a week with a long ride on the weekends, all off road. Just started to finish my rides with a 10.5 mile avg after a 20-25 mile ride with a 3,200 elevation gain. I know these are not the fastest numbers but they're good enough for me.... for now anyway.

I don't have anymore endurance races left. The next couple of races are "like" spirits. Usually right around 20 miles. And I feel like I could start to finish much higher then I have been.

So I guess I need to man up and go all out from the start and hope a last to the end? Or just start more at the front of the pack then I have been and pace myself?

I know this is kinda a noob question but you gotta start somewhere. Plus its more of a "what would you do" kind of question anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I do the best I can do, always. If I'm first, last, or middle of the pack I go as hard as I can. If you're not going all out then you're in a fun ride, not a race. So if you're doing it for fun don't worry about where you place.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'd always race to win unless it was absolutely clear to me at some point that I could not win. Then I'd race for the next best spot.

You should give it a go. You sound like an experienced rider and will be able to tell if the pace with the leaders is simply too much so that you will blow up. It ought to hurt, but you can tell the difference between hurting from riding at your limit and hurting compared to going over your limit so that you are about to blow up. If you are gasping for air your body is getting numb it is time to back off.

Who knows, maybe you won't like the intensity of racing to win--there will probably be some fast guys up there--and you prefer to just have fun out there. Or you may find you love the feeling of giving it your all and being totally spent after a race, knowing that you gave it your best effort. It does feel good to stand on top of a podium.

mtbr member
    Instead, I have a question for you. How do you pay and enter an MTB race, and not race??

If that's the case, save your money and go have fun on some rad trail.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    go until you blow up at the next race and then limp through the finish. If you won....good job, if not, slow down just a touch next time. Repeat this stuff until you figure out how long you can suffer for, then adjust accordingly to throw down at the races....and win. go make yourself puke, its not fun but you will know what your limit is....do not do this a lot.
    ATV = fat A$$

SSOD
    yeah to reiterate what others said, push yourself to your limit from the start to the finish. Part of racing competitively is knowing your limits, weaknesses, strengths, etc, and developing a race strategy around these.

It seems you've done enough races to know where your strengths/ weaknesses on a course are so work on your conditioning and get to where you set some either time or place targets throughout the race, ie lap times or avg speeds. Also most people race to consistently test themselves and measure their training progress so if you are plateauing and frequently getting the same time/places maybe you should rethink your training schedule.

I don't know anyone, unless they are coming off injuries or starting base over and doing training races, that don't race and leave everything on the course otherwise it's just a timed ride and not a race imo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks all good points! I had a race this past weekend, I went all out from the start and blew up around mile 18. I still finished in the middle tho. Guess I'm not that fast! lol Looking back, I started at the back of the pack. I should have started more up front. Let the guys who are faster go by and make the ones who are at my pace catch me.

I still had a blast and look forward to this weekends race! going to start more up front this time and see what happens.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwbmtb29er View Post
    Thanks all good points! I had a race this past weekend, I went all out from the start and blew up around mile 18. I still finished in the middle tho. Guess I'm not that fast! lol Looking back, I started at the back of the pack. I should have started more up front. Let the guys who are faster go by and make the ones who are at my pace catch me.

I still had a blast and look forward to this weekends race! going to start more up front this time and see what happens.
    That's a great way to start. When I go to a race I basically go almost all out from the beginning. I line up near the front or if I can't I try to blow by people at the beginning before getting into the woods. It takes more effort to pass people in the woods than on pavement. Start near the front next time and pace yourself really well. Pacing yourself and staying near, but not over your threshold is key. If you can not go into the red zone too often you're good.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.