mtbr member
    Aug 2005

when to start high intensity???

I have had a long and deep ski season but need to transition into my bike. I have been getting about three days a week on a trainer for the past three weeks, roughly 5-6 hrs a week doing tempo/sub-threshold. i will ramp it up for a min. here and there but not much. I have skied about 22-25 hrs a week, but only about 5-9hrs a week of the skiing is skinning up hill. I feel good on the bike, minus the fact that I am riding in the basement. My weight is right on for race weight and my plan is to be at 14 hrs a week by 4/7ish, depending on snow/skiing. So the question is when to start high intensity and how many times a week? I maintained a lot of fitness through winter but dont want to cook myself early with a lot of intensity to soon. Major race is nationals in Sun Valley in July, but have first mtb race mid May. I believe I have time to get where I need to be, but just curious as to what others think about the timing of adding in hard vo2 intervals, and the like. Thanks, Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Am I not clear in my post? I dont need a lot of info. but looking to get into intensity as quick as possible with out killing self...thx!
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    right now

SSOD
    It depends on a lot of variables and to be honest its hard to say. So you have roughly 14-15 weeks to an A race. That's not really that much time IMO to get in a full cycle, or even a base period. If your in good shape and have several years of solid riding behind you you could probably get away with skipping base and going right into a build period which would be VO2 and LT type stuff but you could also get hurt by doing too much for your body as well.

If your riding 14hrs/ week you should be in good enough shape to start some intensity workouts but if your at 5-6hrs/week doing tempo 3 times a week, I'd get my body used to riding 5-6 days a week atleast before I started doing intensity workout. It's not that your not in good enough fitness to do the workouts, it's that your body's recovery time isn't used to daily grinding on the trail and will take time to recovery from these workouts. That's kinda the point of doing base is to condition your body so that you can recovery quicker in build with less injury and fatigue.

If your at 5hr/ week now on a trainer, I'd go to 4-5 days a week next week on the trail at 1.5-2 hrs rides, then 5-6 days the following week, then maybe 14 hours the third week. By week 4 if your body seems to feel okay and not fatigued then you could start doing some intensity stuff, just give yourself time to recover and don't overdo your high intensity workouts, leave room to complete the next days workout or you will get burned out.

You could probably get away with starting intervals at LT in week 4 or 5, that would give you about 8 weeks of hard training until you start tapering for your race. I'm assuming your racing around 2-2.5 hours then you should be fine, if your doing endurance racing then I would say disregard everything I just said and put in as many miles as you can.

mtbr member
    Looks like you've built a great fitness base this winter. If you're planning on a couple of peaks then you should be hitting it hard now for a peak in late April-May Then build up for another in July.

Seems too long to keep building fitness all the way to July. But everybody's different.

Seems that most of our local guys at your level have raced at least twice already this year, and will probably take it easy in a few months, and try to punch it back up for July-August. I believe a few guys are excited to have nationals relatively close and at elevation.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 04-01-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ive done base type training all winter. My first race is May 1st, and I start my build program on tuesday. I race all summer, so, I figure Ill get one good month before I start racing and will continue to build all year.

dot
    mtbr member
    after a long indoor/skiing season it's worth to spend at least a couple of weeks just riding at moderate pace. Trainer/rollers and crosstraining workouts build fitness but it's different outdoors nonetheless hence body needs a break-in period.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This is my first year coming off a winter training program and I thought i was going to be blown away by my fitness when I got to ride my bike outdoors. I went riding yesterday and felt like crap. So, yeah, there is a transition period when getting outdoors and when going from easier base workouts to high intensity build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    thank you Ponch, and Crosstown. I just finished my first week over ten hrs, tired but not blown out. I will try and do one more week of tempo/sub threshold stuff and then add intensity next week and see how that goes(hips and hamstrings are sore). I could be over shooting at the 14 hr mark, but will give it an honest go.

out of curiosity: I have focused on longer races for the past 4 or 5 years, but before this I raced a lot more short xc races and trained/rode with xc focus but seemed to do well in long races. I feel as fast or faster in long races when I train with short races in mind, and seem to get the same sort of results. ideas why???
    ATV = fat A$$

SSOD
    I don't know. I guess it could have to do with your stamina and bodies ability to work until exhaustion. How long are you talking about for long compared to your short races. I've done predominately xc racing in the past, 1.5-2hr, but this year am focusing on endurance training and doing more 6hr races.

Your results could also be from being fresh for the long races, I know from racing in the past, if I raced road and ss xc week-in week-out, my training and recovery was really important to meeting my racing goals. If I took a month off from racing then went out I always seemed to feel like I was in better shape than I was. I think anyone can go out several times a year and have a fast race but to be fast all the time takes dedicated training.

But for anything over about 2 - 2.5 hours, I race differently than for races shorter, that's kinda my threshold right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My long races have been a few 12 hr, 8hr,50 milers, 100 milers, and the Trans Rockies. I have been relatively successful, but dont see a big difference in results from short focus xc to enduro stuff. But, my training has been different. It certainly could be a bit of the aging process, and this is over a nine or ten year time period. I wonder if my intensity has dropped and my time has increased in the saddle. I have had an aversion to training aids, so I don't have an objective measuring stick. I do know that I race great in long races until hr 7-8 and then it is survival to hang on to whatever position I am in. Also, my best efforts cause me to puke, seriously, most everytime following the longer races and sometimes after short ones.
    If I can do my self prescribed 14 hrs a week like I am shooting for and Sat. is race day, generally, where would you place your interval days and how long are those rides?
    Thanks and I really appreciate all the feedback.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As a former ski bum, I'd say take an easier week just on the bike. Skiing has done a lot of high intensity work for you, basically a lot of intervals. You probably never rested much this season because it's snowed a lot in most of the ski towns this year. Your body probably needs a little rest.
    You sound like you were doing a decent amount of endurance base with skinning on top of of trainer time (10-12hrs base work + high intensity from skiing giving you power, strength, and lactate tolerance), so you could probably work right into a build period after a couple of weeks of transition. Your weakness is still probably endurance right now, so you could probably afford to stay away from too much high end work, with just a little maintenance intervals, and just focus on rebuilding endurance. If I were you, after an easy week on the bike (10 hrs maybe of zone 2-3) , I'd be just trying to get a few 3-4 hr rides mostly zone 2 with some tempo work a week for a few weeks throwing in one or two harder but short rides a week, take a rest week, and then start right into build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    whambat..thank you. I really enjoy cycling but I am not willing to sacrifice my winter addiction to train. I end up doing patch work sorta training until mid may and then things seem to become more predictable in terms of cycling specific stuff. I often wonder what skiing does for me? I seem to come out of it fit, but not cycle specific.

I have been getting in some good tempo stuff and will do some interval work starting in a few days. I think keeping the interval time in the 1hr-2hr range as you mentioned will be good. My longest ride has been around 2.5 hrs at this point...dirt is very limited here, but hopefully this weekend will change that. thanks again..its hard to have a tweeked program to accomodate a 100-120 day year ski load and get some sorta validation from fundamentalist trainers. Lots of good info just hard to figure out where it goes in my specific plan, especially the timing piece.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Get on a road bike, some slicks, or just grunt it out on the nobbies to get some time on the road until the trails dry out. It's easier to take it easy and stay consistent on the road for the long rides right now. Really try to get in the long rides now, you'll want to shorten the rides and up the intensity as you get closer to racing, if your focus is xc not marathon.

Josh Tostado does pretty well as a mtber despite ski bumming all winter. So, it is possible. But I've seen him down here on the front range of CO getting his base rides on the roads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    dudes my idol and I like hearing that he is a ski bum. Thanks for the help. If it quits raining here I'll try n ride the road but things are looking trainerish for the week, but good snow up high.
    ATV = fat A$$