Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: Wheelsets

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    17

    Wheelsets

    What wheels are you currently racing? Looking for opinions.

    I'm looking to buy a new 29er set for racing. Dont want to spend more than $900. I'm looking for something dependable that does not need a ton of maintenance. Want to keep them as light as possible for that cost. Custom built or factory built is fine. Currently racing with the Deore hubs/Bontrager rims that came with my Trek X-Cal. Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    874
    American Classic Race, American Classic MTB, Crests/Chris Kings, and Crests/ZTR (budget option, personally I think theyre just as good as the others which I've all ridden) should be your first picks.

    I tested all these combos when looking at my wheels and went with Crests/ZTR just because I wasn't seeing the gains the extra price of the others should have had. CK hubs were very nice, as were the AC's, but the 30 POE of the ZTR hubs are plenty for me.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,947
    You want whatever Stan's wheelset you can afford.

  4. #4
    Giant Anthem
    Reputation: 2fst4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    701
    Stans offers low weight, good price and most of all is built to be run tubeless.

    Heres a link to the crest and these are what I will be running next season.

    ZTR Crest 29er Stock Wheelset
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    17
    You know a few weeks back I was about ready to order some stans crests with the ztr hubs. The weight and price were outstanding. Then I came on here and read reviews and posts complaining of hubs locking up and catastrophic failures and so I figured i'd go another route.

    I saw some shimano xt hubs with crest rims on ebay for $400 for the set. Thought that might be worth jumping on. Was also considering going all out with some dt swiss 240s with crest rims.

    Thoughts?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Criswell View Post
    You know a few weeks back I was about ready to order some stans crests with the ztr hubs. The weight and price were outstanding. Then I came on here and read reviews and posts complaining of hubs locking up and catastrophic failures and so I figured i'd go another route.

    I saw some shimano xt hubs with crest rims on ebay for $400 for the set. Thought that might be worth jumping on. Was also considering going all out with some dt swiss 240s with crest rims.

    Thoughts?
    My thoughts: Everyone that has an issue with bike components will come here to complain. The higher the # of units sold, the higher the likelihood of complaints. Everyone I know runs Stan's wheelsets...

    I've had 5 Stan's ZTR wheelsets over the years, and only one of them had an endcap loosen up (and this was an earlier design, which they've now changed). And even this was caught in time, and did not result in any damage. For the money, I am unaware of any wheelset that is equal or better.

    I also have an AC Race 29 wheelset, which has been awesome. The wider rim lets me run slightly lower pressures, and the hubs might have slightly less drag. But the bearings need replacing more often, and of course the price is considerably higher...
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    155
    Cheap Chinese Carbon Rims + AC Hubs + Laser spokes + decent wheelbuilder = awesome set of wheels for under $1K.

  8. #8
    I'd rather be riding
    Reputation: zippinveedub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    680
    I've been on a set of Bontrager RXL wheels, I picked up used for cheap. No complaints, light enough, foolproof tubeless setup.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    499
    I am a big fan of my stock crests. They are light and the 30 POE is good enough for just about anyone. However, I am 175 lbs and I feel like I am pushing the wheelset a little too much at times.

    If you are light enough then run the crests. If you are superlight (under 160 or so) then go ahead and run the race golds.

    If you are a heavier dude and/or like to huck/jump/bash then the Arch Ex or Flow Ex might be more for you.

    Also if you read the thread on ZTR hub complaints. It starts off at 2008 or something like that and starts to trail off around 2010. There are a lot of people in there who assume that they aren't as good as super high end hubs so they must be crap and don't understand that there is a level in between crap and $600 dollar hubs. Bhollwell has it right that when you sell a lot more of something, there are going to be an increased number of problems and complaints. For every picture and complaint that you find on the internet there are probably 100 happy quiet customers that don't post anything because they don't have anything to say. The only things that I haven't heard complaints of are ENVE rims. It's probably a combination of such high price (reduced # of sales) and high quality that makes it that way.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    898
    I'm on my second set of stans wheels. I see no reason to run anything else! Actually, my wife uses them too. So, 4th set!

  11. #11
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    I had a set of stans crests. Destroyed the rear and replaced it with an arch EX rim. Holding up okay. Wheels are too flexy and the rear is slowly getting beat up....

    Trying to decide if I will destroy a Specialized Roval Control SL 29er set if I buy them.... Those are some expensive rim replacements.

    Im only 165 pounds but I like to fly downhill as fast as possible. In the rooty southeast Its pretty tough on wheels to ride aggressively.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  12. #12
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    For the record, stans rocks. As long a you stay within reason (weight and riding style) on the rim. My flow wheelset has only needed truing twice in 2 years of HARD riding. 1st true was a stick in the spokes breaking a couple. 2nd true was a hard wreck with a huge lateral load on the side of my rear wheel. Knocked it out of whack pretty good.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sbsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,505
    I've been running a set of Stan's ZTRs built onto a set of XTR hubs, only 40 g heavier than a King hub, rebuild able ball bearing, light rims, tubeless. I've got four seasons of marathon/xc racing on them and only trashed the rear rim once, rebuild the hubs in the off seasons, and keep on going. What else do you want in a wheel set?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cabbgage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    268
    I run crest with ac hub on the front and arch ex wih ac hub on the back. Bit more strength on the back works well.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    105
    I have been running/beating on some stans gold race wheelset for sometime now. I ride everything from competitive XC, 50 milers/100miles, and just all around riding and they have been great for me.

    I think Stans are definitely the way to go!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    40
    if you're thinking of running tires with a UST bead (or full blown UST tires), there's also the new WTB Frequency rims to consider. Mine (i19's) have held up just fine to a bunch of fat guy slow XC 'racing' thus far. I _think_ I've read that they're lighter than several of the Stan's rims.

    Either way, pick a rim, decent double butted spokes (2.0/1.5 if you're light enough), and a hub, and plenty of folks can build 'em up for you. I'm pretty impressed with mine from Universal Cycles, it seems as though they don't really charge a premium to have 'em built - Mine were right about $300 - WTB i19s, 2.0/1.7 spokes, Shimano 629 hubs. Plenty of room in your budget to save weight in the spokes and the hubs.

  17. #17
    Big Boy
    Reputation: texasnavy05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    952
    I race on AC all mountain 29 tubeless wheels.

    I'm 270 pounds.

    Probably as light as I am going to go until i lose alot of weight.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by bopApocalypse View Post
    if you're thinking of running tires with a UST bead (or full blown UST tires), there's also the new WTB Frequency rims to consider. Mine (i19's) have held up just fine to a bunch of fat guy slow XC 'racing' thus far. I _think_ I've read that they're lighter than several of the Stan's rims.
    WTB Frequency i19 29er = 435g

    Stans ZTR Crest 29er = 380g

    Thats for the xc rim comparison. Comparing them to all mountain rims wouldnt really be apples to apples.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    70
    I've had numerous wheels and can say without a doubt that Stan's with ZTR hubs are the way to go. I've used the Crest and Alpine rims in 26" and 29" versions. The tubeless setup is a breeze and can be used with nearly any tire without a tube or rubber rim strip. They are light and very solid, and with ZTR hubs, inexpensive. If you want to throw the cash at it, upgrade the hubs but it isn't necessary.

    That said, I picked up a Chinese carbon hardtail 29er and also ordered some of the 29er carbon wheels. They are complete wheels and I've now ridden them twice with tubes and they are very nice and stiff. The hubs are smooth and the wheel build was good. There was a little spoke pinging at first but was gone after 2 hard accelerations.

    Last night I setup the Carbon wheels with Stan's rim tape, rubber strips, sealer, and a set of Conti Race King ProTection tires. I had a devil of a time getting them to air up but once I got smart and used some soapy water, I had minimal issues. They held air over night and so I'm happy so far. The bike needs to be put back together and I'll share some reviews when I get a ride in. For sub-$500, you can't beat Stan's ZTR or maybe we can add the Chinese carbon rims to that list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheelsets-12-1.jpg  

    Wheelsets-imag0212.jpg  

    Wheelsets-imag0215.jpg  

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Guppie58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,463
    Spesh Rovals. Suppose to be high quality, but they are slow compared to my old SLR's. Not as durable either (spoke issues).

    I'll most likely dump them and get Stan's. I so wish his wheels had more 'personality' but given their function, they are still the goto wheel.

  21. #21
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post
    Spesh Rovals. Suppose to be high quality, but they are slow compared to my old SLR's. Not as durable either (spoke issues).

    I'll most likely dump them and get Stan's. I so wish his wheels had more 'personality' but given their function, they are still the goto wheel.
    Which roval? Im eyeing the control carbon SLs for next season. Been saving my mechanics pay for 2 months already
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor69 View Post
    I've had numerous wheels and can say without a doubt that Stan's with ZTR hubs are the way to go. I've used the Crest and Alpine rims in 26" and 29" versions. The tubeless setup is a breeze and can be used with nearly any tire without a tube or rubber rim strip. They are light and very solid, and with ZTR hubs, inexpensive. If you want to throw the cash at it, upgrade the hubs but it isn't necessary.

    That said, I picked up a Chinese carbon hardtail 29er and also ordered some of the 29er carbon wheels. They are complete wheels and I've now ridden them twice with tubes and they are very nice and stiff. The hubs are smooth and the wheel build was good. There was a little spoke pinging at first but was gone after 2 hard accelerations.

    Last night I setup the Carbon wheels with Stan's rim tape, rubber strips, sealer, and a set of Conti Race King ProTection tires. I had a devil of a time getting them to air up but once I got smart and used some soapy water, I had minimal issues. They held air over night and so I'm happy so far. The bike needs to be put back together and I'll share some reviews when I get a ride in. For sub-$500, you can't beat Stan's ZTR or maybe we can add the Chinese carbon rims to that list.
    What are those carbon wheels? Where'd you order them from?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    17
    So alot of recommendations for the Stans. I'm definitely considering some Arch Ex or Crests. Anyone had any problem with the tension problems i've been reading about on the forums recently? Also at the moment i am still using tubes. I have no plans on going tubeless but wouldn't mind having the option later. Any issues runnong the Stan's with tubes?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    70
    I rode these Chinese carbon rims tubeless about 10 miles so far. At this point, I am quite happy with them.

    Criswell, and I ordered the unbranded carbon 29er wheels from a_bay_goods on ebay. They come from China and ran about 460 with shipping.

    RK

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by Criswell View Post
    So alot of recommendations for the Stans. I'm definitely considering some Arch Ex or Crests. Anyone had any problem with the tension problems i've been reading about on the forums recently? Also at the moment i am still using tubes. I have no plans on going tubeless but wouldn't mind having the option later. Any issues runnong the Stan's with tubes?
    No tension problems here. In 2 years of riding the 26" wheels, I've only had them trued once. Too early to tell if the 29" wheels will be just as good. I've only had the bike for 2 months.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •