mtbr member
    Feb 2013

what's your day after race routine?

rest?, easy ride? I have been just working and mostly avoiding physical activity the day after a race. But I feel pretty good today and went for a short 15min spin then stretches just to get things loosened up, I think I like that idea better than just sitting.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I usually have an EZ day on Monday whether my race is on Saturday or Sunday. If the race is Saturday, I tend to do a moderately hard day on the road - usually 50-60 miles in Z3 with some hard efforts. If my race is on Sunday then Saturday is an easier day.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Sit on my butt and shovel in the food. I take 1 day off a week, and I prefer it be Monday so I can get back on the bike Tuesday fairly fresh. I usually spin around for a mile or so. Ride my bike to get something to eat or spin around the neighborhood. Nothing serious.

The past 3 races have been mud fests, so I typically spend a couple hours cleaning, degreasing, repacking, and checking pad, chain, and bearing wear. Its a drag.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    15 min spin and stretch the day after race

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I go for a fairly big ride if I can. Most all my racing is on a Saturday, so I try and go big Sunday and take Monday off. If I am really tired I'll stop but usually feel pretty good after pedaling for 10 minutes or so. I think its a good way to get two hard days in a row and then recover. If I end up racing back to back weekends consistently, I either drop it and rest, or do a lame spin through the foothills drinking beer with the family.
    ATV = fat A$$

PRETENDURO
    I usually sit on my ass all day. I start the morning off with lots of coffee and eat a huge pile of bacon and toast. Then I just sort of drink beer all day. Sometimes I’ve been lucky enough to take a “recovery” spin on the local singletrack with my wife and sons, but it’s very rare since she is a workaholic and my boys just want to sit around and play videogames usually.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I go for a fun ride. I typically feel pretty good the day after a race. My legs might be a bit sore but I just deal with it and ride. Oh, some days I have stuff to do and don't near my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Beer and naps.

mtbr member
    Another Saturday racer.

Either a long zone 2 or a 1 hour easy spin, depending on the type of week: larger load week or R&R week.

Every once in a while I might try to survive a 70 mile road group ride on Sunday after a race. That's rare though.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a race this Saturday. Dry, temps in low 80s with lots of climbing in the 24 miles. After the race I'm spinning easily for an hour. Sunday I'm doing 3 hours on the road bike in Z1 and Z2, probably early because temps will go over 90d F. Monday is off.

mtbr member
    Depends on the race. For example this Saturday I have an 8 hour race (solo, singlespeed and rigid). I might be able to do an easy 1 hour spin on Sunday (but if I cannot move, I will just enjoy the time off).

For short 1.5 hour races, I can do a decent endurance ride with a few hard efforts the day after, but usually I do a recovery ride with no hard efforts.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

bikerbert

what's your day after race routine?

I do light glute and hip/mid back mobility work to reset the muscles. I like active recovery, for me it works well.