mtbr member
    Sep 2011

What is your "training" bike?

I'm considering getting an older bike as a "beater" for training rides.

I'd obviously train on my "race rig" come race season.

But as a training ride, that I can 100% push to the limit, I feel a steel, durable bike would be better to train on.

What do you guys think?

Train on what you'd ride during the races?
    Or would it be a good idea to pick up a more durable, heavier "training bike"

I think it would be benificial, having to ride something heavier.

mtbr member
    I go with specificity, I ride what I race on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm starting to train now. I want to enter the next race down here which is this summer. I just train on my main bike which I plan to race in the upcoming races. I do have an old steel bike to ride like your talking about but it weighs 40 lbs and is no fun to ride. Honestly if you must have a training bike buy something aluminum, newer, and lighter than those old steel bikes. They work better.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

spec4life???..smh...
    I dont think its a great idea to train on a diffrent bike than you race. There is a certain comfort you get on the bike you ride everyday with the geometry and controls.

Id say a set of training wheels would be a better option. A set of heavier wheels will be more durable and provide a bit more resistance, if thats what you want, while still keeping you on the same bike.

AZ
    banned
    Most of my training is done on a road bike.

Outrunning zombies
    I definitely believe in the "ride what you race" thought process. However, I also believe that things should be mixed up on occasion.
    GF/Trek HiFi | Hardrock Sport Disc 29er
    If you don't eat **** every now and again, you aren't riding hard enough!

mtbr member
    The break down of time spent on each of my bikes during training would be something around:
    5% Downhill bike(that's not really training more for fun)
    15% SS rigid
    20% Road bike
    25% Race bike
    35% "All Mountain" bike

I tend to ride my other bikes more to keep the race bike in good shape and to keep maintenance cost down since it has the most expensive parts. Also riding a heavy bike on group rides is better training since I'm lugging more weight uphills. Usually if I'm training alone and looking to put in a serious work out is when the race bike comes out.

mtbr member
    I train on what I race on. I put heavy tires on heavy wheels and ride it and then ride it some more. Let me tell you when I put my race wheels on, its like taking work boots off and putting on a pair of track shoes!

Fat-tired Roadie
    How much crap do you really want to own?

I'm at four bikes right now, all with builds I consider relatively sensible. So I'm not terribly worried about screwing up my race bike by riding every time I go mountain biking.

I think there's something to be said for being accustomed to the handling of my race bike. It doesn't take me too long to get used to riding more confidently on it if I've been riding my 'cross bike off-road a lot or something, but I don't see why I'd want to get a lot of practice hours having to ride a little more conservatively on something with less good suspension, or losing my sense of the handling envelope of a less forgiving bike if I trained on something a little more forgiving.

I think every racer would benefit from having more than one bike. Then if I decide to let the shop take care of a mechanical problem for me, I still have a bike to ride. I can see arguments for owning more than one mountain bike. Then if I have a last-minute problem, I can just take the 'B' bike and not stress out about it.

So I guess you're getting more rambling than an answer from me. But I can't say I really see getting a bike with the purpose of it doing the same job as one of my other bikes but less well. If I add another mountain bike, it will either be because I think I'll be faster on it or because I think I'll be radder on it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

FKA Malibu412
    I guess I'm one of the few who think it's okay to train on another bike from what I typically race on since I race a FS, an HT and a cross bike. I have a steel Dawes SS that weighs 32lbs that I use for a winter training trail bike (durable and a tank) and I throw road tires on my cross bike for commuting/road/cross training. I usually give my race bike, whether a mountain or cross bike, a tune and shake down ride before a significant race so I am re-familiarized with it.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I do a fair amount of training on a SS that is setup as close as I can to my race bike. i ride the SS exclusively during winter and early spring to save wear and tear on my race bike. As races near a taper down the SS and start riding gears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You should be adaptable and be fast on a variety of bikes. If something breaks on your main bike the evening before a race you could just ride something different and expect a similar finish.
    I switch between three very different race bikes, but ride my 'winter bike' the most in all the bad weather months. I can come back from a cold/wet ride and park it in the garage with no cleanup. If we travel anywhere for a couple of days I can bring it along and leave it locked on the roofrack without lying awake at night. It's a chinese Univega Alpina 700 aluminum frame with lower end Manitou, and mostly LX, appx. 28 pounds. It's not a bad handling bike, - I am not for riding a total pile of crap, it should at least be decent and you should not hate it. I converted this from the bike I used to a haul my kids with (rear rack seat and trailer) when they were smaller. I can work in a lunch break ride a couple of times a week but time if limited, not having to do any cleanup has been very helpful.
    Like said above, I also ride the bike I intend to race a couple of times in the week prior to an event to make sure I'm very familiar with it, and to make sure it's functioning properly.

PRETENDURO
    I train on a 38 pound 9:zero:7 fatbike. The real killer is the 16 pounds of rotating mass, which make the legs stronger.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I'm down to 2 bikes in the house (so happy). Giant Anthem 29er and Giant TCR SL road bike. That's enough.

Currently I'm doing 3 RB rides (1 group ride, and two bike commutes) and 2 MTBs a week. That's just about a perfect split.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Lusus Naturae
    I train on both a FS 26er and 29er hardtail but most of my races are on the niner and all of my fireroad/mixed-terrain rides are on the niner.

The FS 26er also needs to be trained on since some of the more important classics i race on that (downieville, annadel, nvdc, etc) so I think its important to also train your technical skills on rough terrain. Really don't like coming into a technical race without a bunch of good bumpy rides early in the season.

mtbr member
    I train on a Surly Karate Monkey set up 1x10 w/ 100 mm fork with heavier wheels and tires. This makes me work a little harder everywhere and when I do eat it in training on techie (or not so techie) stretches I am not tearing up my Stumpjumper Marathon. I do ride the SJ once during the week leading up to a race to readjust my style to the quicker handling.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."