Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What is your starting line nervous habit?

It's cold as hell here and I was thinking about racing and how people act at the starting line. I noticed that although I'm not consciously nervous for the race, I nervous yawn at the line.

What do you do??

mtbr member
    I under estimate my ability and line up towards the back. And my heart rate is usually around 130 just waiting for the gun to go off. Other than that....?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    yodel

FKA Malibu412
    Pee my pants.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitiate
    yodel

That's awesome. I wanna be at that race!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My legs get really really tight and I line up in the middle if it gets to single track really quickly, a little further front if there is some time on a dirt road or something to really sort out where I should be when we enter the single track.

mtbr member
    A little off topic but, when I raced MX I constantly took my left hand and made sure the gas was turned on. 3-4 times before the gate dropped.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    I usually try to get myself a little pissed off - takes my mind off the nerves and I end up getting good starts that way.

mtbr member
    Some years ago I got a friend started in triathlons, and within a year he started on an 18 month win streak culminating in an age-grade amateur world triathlon championship and designation as the Tri-Fed amateur triathlete of the year. He told me once his pre-race ritual included looking over his competitors at the start line to see if he could pick out the first loser. Amazingly, he didn't come off as cocky when he said it. It was just part of his pre-race psych-up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I visualize how I see my strategy for the race unfolding and think about how much fun I'm going to have.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    That's pretty interesting, a lot of hard work I'm sure!

One thing people really need to avoid though is adding superstition to pre-race routine. I had a guy once tell me that he always put his right glove and shoe on first as a superstition. When he did poorly he would blame it on not putting his right shoe or glove on first! Superstitious causal connections are not real and is easily proven false by basic statistics.

Hi.
    On the starting line, I always seem to get the urge to pee, even if I already went to the bathroom.

mtbr member
    Being too relaxed. I just hang with the cattle until the race starts.

I need to pay more attention to the riders around me, because once things spread out, I don't really know who/how many are in front of me.

mtbr member
    I have no nervous habits at the starting line. I get very, very calm before a race starts. I wish I could capture that feeling through the morning, when I struggle to calm down and relax.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    At the starting line I tell everyone how little I've trained and how bad this race is going to hurt....then I follow that up with back of the pack finish!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caladryl
    At the starting line I tell everyone how little I've trained and how bad this race is going to hurt....then I follow that up with back of the pack finish!
    Haha I hear guys complain at the beginning about the same thing, but then they win!

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I have no nervous habits at the starting line. I get very, very calm before a race starts. I wish I could capture that feeling through the morning, when I struggle to calm down and relax.
    Same, too nervous in the morning and too relaxed at the start.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

You got any chocolate?
    The need to pee something fierce, running to the porta-potty and having 2-3 drops to show for it. Major nerves I guess. I just keep reminding myself of all the things I need to pick up at Home Depot when I return to my "normal" life.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i talk to someone to the point they get annoyed with me, in fact I do this throughout the whole race, I've had a guy tell me the STFU already : )

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrftc
    i talk to someone to the point they get annoyed with me, in fact I do this throughout the whole race, I've had a guy tell me the STFU already : )
    I do this also...

...and my ass gets hyperactive and always have to run to send one down...once I do this, I relax a lot...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I like to line up early so I can get a front spot, even if I know I'm feeling off and might end up out of contention I still want the holeshot. I also have a nervous habit of muttering to myself "get the holeshot, rail the corners, big ring the flats and BREATHE" while I'm warming up.

mtbr member

I ask people about their bikes and components, but I'm genuinely interested in the answer. Sometimes they do get pissed!

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    I use this when someone won't let me pass when I ask. Usually after a few minutes of my boring talk, they are more than happy to let me go, or they get pissed off at me and finally pick up the pace and blow up a few minutes later. Either way - I get to pass them

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just reading this thread gets my nerves going about the upcoming 2011 season and how I will feel at my first mtn bike race in February. I'm more anxious to see how I will do this season. Hopefully all my riding over the winter riding and gym time has paid off hehe. I was midpack sport rider but hopefully I'm front of pack sport rider

I find that I pee a lot before I have to race, no matter what. But otherwise I just talk to some people as we wait to start and look forward to racing I tend to start midpack and make my way up to the front as the race progresses. I'm not the fastest guy on the DH and cornering so I don't like getting right in front if I know that is coming, can't take all the pressure of a bunch of people behind me haha. I'll get them on the flats and climbing later

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK
    Just reading this thread gets my nerves going about the upcoming 2011 season and how I will feel at my first mtn bike race in February. I'm more anxious to see how I will do this season. Hopefully all my riding over the winter riding and gym time has paid off hehe. I was midpack sport rider but hopefully I'm front of pack sport rider

I find that I pee a lot before I have to race, no matter what. But otherwise I just talk to some people as we wait to start and look forward to racing I tend to start midpack and make my way up to the front as the race progresses. I'm not the fastest guy on the DH and cornering so I don't like getting right in front if I know that is coming, can't take all the pressure of a bunch of people behind me haha. I'll get them on the flats and climbing later
    basically all this for me too plus I get frustrated when we have to wait longer than expected to start. My HR goes down and I find myself too relaxed and sort of day dreaming.
    I also just look around at all the other bikes and gear that everyone has.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast