mtbr member
    May 2004

What are you guys riding for your XC Race/Endurance Race, and all around XC ride?

1. Bike Brand, Wheel Size, Setup and any customization, and your riding style in addition to racing xc or endurance, what and how do you ride in your non-racing time/non competitive ridign.

2. Do you do any road cycling and/or use that for some training
    3. What if any off-bike training/workout routines do you follow
    4. Any special diet - overall (everyone cheats or has a treat - but I mean usually)

I'll leave out my situation, budget, etc and just ask you guys cuz want to hear from ya!
    I just think it will be interesting and informative feedback!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    1. Bike Brand, Wheel Size, Setup and any customization, and your riding style in addition to racing xc or endurance, what and how do you ride in your non-racing time/non competitive ridign. Endurance races I bounce between a 2013 and 2016 Specialized Epic Expert. The 2013 has an excellent fit on it, and it's been tried and proven in many long races for me. The 2016 is a newer purchase, and I have done a 50 mile race on it, but mostly for right now it's my shorter 90-120 minute XC race bike. I also have a 2013 S-Works Fate (hardtail), but only use that for short track really at this time. I ride all three of these during training, plus I have a single speed and also a fat bike for winter. 29" all around (minus the fat bike). Specialized Fast Track in rear, Ground Control in front all all the bikes. I run women specific Jett saddles and ESI grips

2. Do you do any road cycling and/or use that for some training Yes, I do road cycling, and race in the spring time (TT's, road races involving gravel stretches, and hill climbs). I also race a full season of cyclocross in the fall
    3. What if any off-bike training/workout routines do you follow Nothing formal, just some skate skiing in the winter. Since I travel for work you can also find me in the occasional hotel gym hating life and missing my bikes.
    4. Any special diet - overall (everyone cheats or has a treat - but I mean usually) Nope! Just make sure I drink enough water.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    1. Bike Brand, Wheel Size...
    Trek Carbon Hardtail, nothing fancy at all. My only splurge was for a lightweight wheelset (Stans Crest MK3). I ride same set-up all the time, training and racing. I race endurance so my 'customizations' are: easier gear range to conserve energy on steep climbs, and a 'Bento-Box' mounted to my top-tube (makes grabbing gels and salt-stick tabs super-easy on the fly.

2. Road/MTB:
    Oh definitely road! It's just a better workout, no question. Especially if you're training with a fast group. I probably ride 50/50 in actuality, but my quality workouts are on the road bike. Ask any pro, this is quite the norm.

3. What if any off-bike training/workout routines do you follow:
    None. Probably should do some core, but I don't.

4. Any special diet:
    No special diet. I eat what I want. As the race season approaches, I usually try to cut back on carbs to lean-out for a few less pounds.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    1. Bike Brand, Wheel Size...
    Trek Carbon Hardtail, nothing fancy at all. My only splurge was for a lightweight wheelset (Stans Crest MK3). I ride same set-up all the time, training and racing. I race endurance so my 'customizations' are: easier gear range to conserve energy on steep climbs, and a 'Bento-Box' mounted to my top-tube (makes grabbing gels and salt-stick tabs super-easy on the fly.

2. Road/MTB:
    Oh definitely road! It's just a better workout, no question. Especially if you're training with a fast group. I probably ride 50/50 in actuality, but my quality workouts are on the road bike. Ask any pro, this is quite the norm.
    I'm not sure I agree with this.

Quite a few WC racers seem to do a good amount of their interval training on the MTB.

I don't know that i agree with the assertion that it is a "better workout, no question" either. Is it easier to control and maintain a certain power output? Yes. Can you hit a certain average power output or normalized power output on both? Yes. It just requires a bit more planning for the MTB.

To answer the questions posed in the OP:

1) Yeti ASRc, with 120mm DT Swiss OPM ODL fork. XX1, Hollowgram with Stages, Specialized Command Post IRCC dropper, DT 240s/CX-Rays/Nox Teocallis.

2) Road, yes. I own a road bike, ride it on the road occasionally, ride it on the trainer regularly in the winter. Race it occasionally, group rides, etc. Started out racing on the road, been a CAT1 in OBRA/CAT2 in USAC for the better part of a decade.

3) Off-bike training. Not really, but due to background, core strength isn't really an issue. I need to run more, though, as I have a not-really-scientific belief that it helps jiggle away the excess tissue.

4) Diet: Lots of green things, less processed sugars.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    1. Bike Brand, Wheel Size, Setup and any customization, and your riding style in addition to racing xc or endurance, what and how do you ride in your non-racing time/non competitive ridign.
    --Norco Revolver 29er w/ a 120mm F34 fork and a dropper. Ride the same bike casually that I race, some down time is on my fat bike...but it's condition dependent and I race it too. Generally speaking, I think riding familiarity on race day is more important than marginal efficiency gains from tire and component changes. I have used the same bike for XC, Endurance, and Enduro, and the 5" trail bikes have given up very little (if anything) to dedicated XC or Enduro bikes. This will be my first year on an XC bike since 2012. I've been on 120mm/130mm trail bikes.

--The past few years, no. In Utah it wasn't required to maintain fitness as there are numerous 1 hr climbs to maintain a steady effort or structure a workout. Just moved to MI, and I will be riding a ton of dirt road to explore this year. Living in a very rural setting now.

3. What if any off-bike training/workout routines do you follow.
    --Historically, I've done weight training (circuit/crossfit kind of), but have moved away from it as it doesn't address my current weaknesses. I'm running minimum once a week as it helps maintain my strength balance and core strength, not to mention it's fun to mix it up.

4. Any special diet - overall (everyone cheats or has a treat - but I mean usually)
    --No refined sugars except while racing or 1 hr pre race or 1 hr post race. (This includes gels/bars, etc.) Exceptions are if I bonk during a training ride, I'll take some sugar in once finished (rare), or if I'm really training top end in earnest (also rare).
    --Lots of leafy veggies.
    Last edited by brentos; 03-14-2017 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    just got a SC Tallboy CC with Stans race golds. have not raced it yet but see it as my goto ride for XC and XCM. if the course is mellow i still have a hardtail (look 986) and my SS (Van Dessel ramble tamble)

yep race road, mostly crits, my road time is about 60/40 road/mtb

3. What if any off-bike training/workout routines do you follow.
    been following bike james and his weight training advise. do kettlebells traditional lifting. Bumped it up a lot more this year and have been hitting the gym 1x-2x a week reguarly.

what ever i want. try to do lite beer on the weekdays and ipa's on the WE
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    For short races I use a KHS Team 29 hardtail with upgraded wheels, crank and brakes. For endurance races I use a hardtail simglespeed based on the Lynskey Pro 29 frame.

I have two road bikes (one is a singlespeed) and use them a lot.

I do XC skate skiing all winter and tons of core work.

I am vegetarian but other than avoiding sweets, no special diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Fun!!! I like these sort of threads

1. I primarily race xcm but occasionally throw my hat in the shorter events (2-5-4hrs). Course dependent but fer racing I have both a Pivot LES and 429 trail. LES is setup largely stock (xtr 1x) w/ typically 34t (round) and I9 w/ Nox Teocalli or valor hoops. Have had the 429T for 2 seasons so it's a little more custom but only really notable things are typically 32t and a choice of 120mm (w/ 90mm -8 stem) and 140mm (60mm? 0deg? stock stem) forks. 429t came within ~1.5lb of my 429sl when fully decked out and close enough geometry so that was an easy call for a more versatile/playful ride. Both are Boost®™© so wheel swaps happen frequently. Only really notable thing here is e13 9-46 which should be fun.

also have a switchblade which is a f#$ing hoot (sorry for the language but it's accurate). If it was 5# lighter I might even race that - but that isn't possible with my budget. Would love a 29+ SS. Back on topic...

2. probably 70/30 road late Winter/Spring but that swings the other way as more stuff becomes rideable. I'll occasionally do a crit but also enjoy roubaix-esque races.

3. Started lifting year round (2x week) last season and do a really quick 20-ish minute core workout ~3x week. Lotsa stretching, rolling and reading/watching the tele in my Elevated Legs™®©

4. Nothing really special aside from trying to avoid all the typical things. Also do my best to avoid dairy and grains (bloating and excessive flatulence). Try really damn hard to only have wine/adult sodas on the weekends and even then only 2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    1. Anthem Advanced 29er, Sram 1x11, XT brakes, Manitou marvel pro, LB rims on i9 torch hubs. 29x2.35s- Hans Dampf front and Ikon Exo rear. I'm a one bike guy, I ride lots of rocky terrain as hard as I possibly can and other stuff while being polite to hikers and dogs.

2. I try to get a long road ride in on the weekends and one in the week to find the nasty street hills. I am always solo and constantly working on improving average street pace on the MTB. 40, 50, 60 miles. Did I mention I have one bike?

3. I travel a lot. I ride trainers and spin bikes in hotels with my HRM to not cheat effort and watch Youtube races on the ipad. It helps to watch ones where you can see the racers and feel like you are chasing (just like in real life). My home gym has a spin studio with 5 bikes and on demand peloton style videos that feature tons of different interval patterns.

4. I wish. I limit myself to 1-2 Drinks per week during race season and will probably extend that until my Shiner "cheer" comes out. I've been talking about cleaning up my diet since last race season, but never do so for more than a week. I am 15 pounds off of ideal race weight and will probably be down 5 by the end of race season. If I get pushed up, I will have to get down to race weight in the offseason.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My race/ride/trail bike are the same bike: 2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 with NOX wheels (24lbs). It is super fun everywhere!

My road bike is a 2015 Specialized Langster--its a fixed track bike SS w/o brakes. I ride to to and from work (about 10 miles round trip with about 1000 vert both ways). Without a freehub, my legs are going the entire time.

I run and ski (did I mention I ski? Haha!). I need to do more core work. That always pays off in ways that are fantastic everywhere and in all activities. I am just kind of lazy to do it regularly.

I eat as healthfully as I can all the time. My wife is a super clean eater and that helps so much it is not even funny. I don't eat well to control my weight. I eat well to be healthy. No red meats, some chicken, lots of fish, tons of greens, not much sugar or processed grains. I don't drink anymore either (27 years off the sauce).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    1. 2016 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL, 29er, 34t Absolute Black chainring, swapped XT brakes for SRAM guides, i9 hubs laced to Arch MK3 with cx-ray spokes, Fox transfer 125mm dropper w/ Wolftooth lever. Mainly xc riding and racing. Usually do one or two 50-100 mile races each year.

2. I have a road bike and do regular week night group rides. Sometimes if I really want a good workout, I'll take my Top Fuel on the road rides. I also have a cross bike that I'll do gravel and singletrack rides on as well as commute to work on a few days a week.

3. I go to the gym through the winter and lift. I also swim laps here and there if I really need a break from the bike. When it's nice, I'll take my dog trail running. She's a champ and we can usually get 5-6 miles before we're both tired.

4. No special diet. A few years ago I was really trying to cut weight and thought it would help me with my racing. I ended up just feeling tired all the time and during races would regularly bonk earlier than I had before. I started eating more (especially during the spring and summer when I'm riding more), and found almost instantly that I performed better during races. I try to keep my food intake fairly healthy with fruits, greek yogurt, granola, lots of water, etc. I usually only have one or two alcoholic drinks per week. During the winter I'll let myself indulge a little bit, and have been fairly successful at being more strict during race season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    --Norco Revolver 29er w/ a 120mm F34 fork and a dropper.
    You're one of mtbr's faster and most objective forum members running a longer travel and heavier fork with no remorse. You and a few others have probably "converted" many to 120mm forks and/or droppers for short course and endurance races. And for that I say "thanks"!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    1. Pivot Mach 429sl. 29". XL. 130mm MRP Ribbon. Enve M60hv / DT 350 wheels. XTR 1x11. Setup for technical XC / backcountry endurance (Moab Rocks, GJOR, everyday riding).

2. Road bike is a Pivot Vault. Large. Ultegra. Enve AR4.5 disc / DT 240 wheels.

3. Finished 12wks of Trainer Road base (mid volume followed by high volume). Will commence with general build plan following Moab Rocks. Will also resume 2-3 gym sessions (took previous month off due to travel - 2 weeks in New Zealand).

4. Lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. High carb.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Good thread/topic, so I'll bite although I don't think I'm as experienced or strong as some of the guys here, but I'm trying.

2015 Niner Jet 9RDO, Carbon Lefty Fork. Atomik carbon Wheels, Project 321 front hub, Kapius Rear hub (pick these up in 2 weeks!!), SRAM XX1, Hope Tech 2 brakes with floating rotors, RF Next Sl crank, Time Atac Pedals (graphite with Ti spindles), Specialized Phenom Expert Saddle, Bontrager XX Carbon seat post, Niner RDO handlebar and Thompson X2 stem. Weight ~22lbs sz with my Stans wheels but I expect to shed a bit more with the Atomik's. Plan on getting the KS Lev Circuit Seat post in a few weeks when it comes out.

Just sold my Air9 RDO that I turned into a hybrid CX bike for gravel, but trainer/spin bike in off season.

Even though I can make my own programs I decided to try LW Coaching and she has off day weights/core which I am really enjoying.

4. Any special diet
    As with most, try to eat clean. Have had the blood food sensitivity test done and have eliminated most of the foods I react with which has made a huge difference. 1 month before a big race I'm super picky and clean with no cheating. Generally don't drink much alcohol.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member

Trek top fuel 9, 29er with i27mm carbon hoops on dt 240s, oval one up ring.

Trail ride alot, we have really hilly trails along a river so i get lots of interval training there.

Have a gravel bike. Ride this daily for about 2 hrs.

Just some kettle bell stuff, squats, core.

On this 300-400 cal per meal plan. Its just meals that are fairly macro balanced and it makes it easy. Figure out the week... buy the groceries, make the food. Easy peasy:
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    1. Bike Brand, Wheel Size, Setup and any customization, and your riding style in addition to racing xc or endurance, what and how do you ride in your non-racing time/non competitive riding.

Currently on a Pivot Les 29, XO1 w/32T, DT XMC 1200 carbon wheels, Fox 34 120mm fork, Reverb dropper. I run big tires in the winter (2.5 DHFs) and swap out for lighter for racing. This bike rips, and I love it for every day riding, and long distance XC racing. I'll do Leadville and a couple other 100+ mile endurance races on it this summer. Also saving pennies for a Mach 429sl later in the summer for some more technical, longer races, and general Summertime high country shenanigans

I have a steel gravel bike, that I ride a bunch...usually long days where I'm exploring new roads, and not sure of the terrain. The bike is heavy, and slow, but also super comfortable. I also just built up an S-Works Tarmac, because fast road bikes make me giggle.
    I think training on the road definitely makes me stronger, because I work super hard the whole time. I do try to spend a lot of time on the mountain bike though, because specificity of racing and all...so I'll try as often as possible to do hill repeats/intervals on the mountain bike, even if it's just on dirt roads.

4 minutes of planks...less often than I should. I'll thrown in a couple pull ups if I'm feeling ambitious.
    I stretch sometimes.

I like eating the same things most of the time, because it's easy and I want to think about bike riding, not meal planning. I lean towards grain free/dairy free, but if the pizza is free, I'll probably eat it!
    Generally eating a lot of eggs, lean meat, salads for dinner, steamed veggies, and lots of fruit...I don't skimp on riding nutrition, which is generally all honey stinger stuff, with some Tailwind thrown in occasionally.

mtbr member
    Now we know the secrets of our competitors! This is good information.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    1. Niner Air 9 carbon, rockshox rs-1 120mm, xtr 1x11, sram rise 60 plus old parts from my GT zaskar comp (bar, stem, crankset, brakes), 10.7 kg with pedals.
    I recently got a Yeti SB4.5 and I'm considering racing on this bike but the extra weight gets me worried (13 kg with pedals).

2. I ride my gravel bike (GT Grade) 2-3 times per week on the trainer following the TrainerRoad program.

3. hit the gym 2-3 times per week, aerobics + weights

4. I try to eat healthy and all the nice stuff but that doesn't always go as planned.

This is my first XC race season, still riding cat3 and contemplating upgrading to cat2 this fall.

Wahoo!
    Sep 2004
    Bike: 2014 Epic 29er.
    Cockpit: Answer carbon bars W a set of ESI's.
    Seatpost: FSA carbon.
    Wheelset: Stans Arch running 2.2 Fast traks. Drivetrain: XT 11 speed shifter & XT rear derailleur. XT crank, 4iiii power meter with Absolute Black 30t oval connected to a TRSrace cassette.
    Race an equal mix of 1-2 hr races and 6hr - 100k events.

Yes, mainly for training with a few fun rides tossed in.

Trainerroad plans and bodyweight exercises.

Greatly reduced processed foods, refined sugars, no pop or fried foods.

Love these threads.
    I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    1. Bike Brand - Cannondale Scalpel 3, Eagle Drivetrain, Ibis 928 Carbon wheels with DT240 hubs, also a KS-Lev 150mm.

Riding CAT3 XC nothing longer than 4 hr, also for fun Enduro as well.

Only training is on the mountain bike.
    Core work and stretching. Will start on light weights pretty soon
    got rid of processed sugar. other than that trying to cut back on red meat.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '15Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2
    '16 Yeti SB6c

mtbr member
    1. Whyte T-130SX. Rocket Rons 2.35 Tubeless.

2. Zwift is my 'road' training

3. None

4. I use the Horizon 5-2 fasting training but that's more for weight loss than training reasons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I race 8-12 mile courses...twisty, rooty terrain in Mississippi Alabama, Louisiana

1. 2017 FS Giant Anthem SX 27.5
    Outside of racing, I typically ride to beat my Strava times during certain segments and back off on the long climbs.

2. I ride a road bike about 70% of time, but not real serious about it.

3.all of my rides are challenging. I push myself a little extra some days using a Garmin to measure my heart rate.

4. I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Submission Grappling a few times a week and have been doing so the last 6 years