Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Drop in?... Anyone?

What tire combo will you be racing on 2014?

What tire combo will you be racing on and why? Please specify wheel and tire size... and typical trial type and perhaps XC or endurance type races. I am certainly interested in weight vs. durability vs. traction vs. rolling resistance... pros and cons... what's most important to you! It's a loaded question but should make for a valuable thread for 2014.

Me... undecided... but from past experience I would lean towards a faster rolling but durable mid weight... and take the weight penalty for reliability.... but which tire, Hmmmm?
    "Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy you a yacht and you can sail right up next to it!" David Lee Roth

mtbr member

Re: What tire combo will you be racing on 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by strat819 View Post
    What tire combo will you be racing on and why? Please specify wheel and tire size... and typical trial type and perhaps XC or endurance type races. I am certainly interested in weight vs. durability vs. traction vs. rolling resistance... pros and cons... what's most important to you! It's a loaded question but should make for a valuable thread for 2014.

Me... undecided... but from past experience I would lean towards a faster rolling but durable mid weight... and take the weight penalty for reliability.... but which tire, Hmmmm?
    It is so dry that I am starting with specialized renegade 29-2.2 front and specialized fastrack 29-1.95 rear ( flipped around for forward bite) both S-works tubeless

sent remotely

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    It is so dry that I am starting with specialized renegade 29-2.2 front and specialized fastrack 29-1.95 rear ( flipped around for forward bite) both S-works tubeless

sent remotely
    Might be using the same tires but the Reneagade in rear. The Renegade is a freaking great tire. Two other combos i might try. R:Maxxlite F:Ikon R:Thunder Burt F:RoRo For endurance I probably end up with Renegade on both wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rocket Ron 29x2.25 front and Renegade 29x2.3 rear.

I'd rather be riding
    I'll be on the bontrager Xr2 29x2.2 F/R. Bontrager: XR2 Team Issue (Model #11866)

Trails here are standard east coast style. Decision was made based off weight (mine weighed in at 610 each with packaging -- under claimed weight), availability, durability (ran a bonty TLR end of last year and they were very tough) and tread pattern (previously I've run the 29-1 but even though I loved that tire I was able to drop 80g per tire going with a beefier tread patter).

I agree with running a little tougher tire at a weight penalty. I killed two non TLR bonty tires quickly last season and one forced me to run to the finish in a race. Looking at some 100k's this year and several XC races. Bike is an alloy hardtail with stan's archs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Same as the last few years. Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2. I bought a bunch of both the EXC and the Exo before they made them "Tubeless ready" and heavier Always worked great tubeless for me.

Sometimes I'll use a Fast Trak in the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anyone riding Schwalbe next year? What do you think about Smart Sam in front?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I usually run Maxxis Ignitor front/Crossmark rear here in Texas. Thinking of switching over to Ikons to try out this year though. Depends on if I can get them switched over and get some ride time in on them before race season starts in a month.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I will be on conti 2.2 X-king or Mountain Kings in the front and a 2.2 race king in the rear.

Front tires give me greate traction and control through the turns. Race king rolls well and is very supple, providing better grip over rocks, etc..

In early spring or generally wetter conditions, I will swap out the race king with an x-king.

This has worked pretty well for me in the northeast and I don't see a reason to change it up.

I have also run maxxis tires and had pretty good luck with them, but for some reason they seem to hold mud way more than the conti's.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Race King 2.2 Racesport front & rear

mtbr member
    Rocket ron 29x2.25 evo snakeskin front 27psi
    racing ralph 29x2.1 evo 29psi rear
    weigh 205 kitted
    racing in wisconsin, lots of rocks hence the snakeskin up front, want somehting with alot of bite up front and somehting fast rolling in the rear.

mtbr member
    29" Crossmark Rear, Ikon or Ardent Race front (going to test out the Ardent Race soon and determine if that much grip is needed). Generally dry and dusty loose over hard. Mainly XCO racing, a little bit of XCM and shorter XCE (4 hours).

mtbr member
    I've been running a 2.2 ignitor exo rear, and a geax saguaro front.
    Thinking about going crossmark front. Maybe a renegade. I do all xc. Most all of the stuff around here is hardpack. There are a couple places that get very rocky and rooty. The ignitor has worked very well, rolls well, but it's a little heavy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll be running Specialized fast trak...2.2 front and 2.0 rear. I ride east coast rocks, so I always stick with the mid weight "control" casing. I tried the sworks and tore a sidewall a few miles into my first ride. There may be lighter tires, but like the OP said...I'll take the reliability over the weight savings

I typically do shorter xc stuff, but will be taking on at least one 50 miler and one 100 miler this summer

Fat-tired Roadie
    Rocket Ron 29x2.25 front and back. I'm in the Pacific Northwest. I haven't settled on my whole season yet, but I'm hoping to do one in April and one in July. If I don't get track racing to click by mid-June, I'll probably also do a few endurance races. So to an extent, this is more about a tire combo to ride for fun. I'm hoping to get a little more consistent and wet weather tolerant behavior from a RoRo rear. My local trails are rooty and have a lot of vert, and there are several more manicured flow trails, which I'm working on riding faster.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Front: Racing Ralph 29x2.25 (coming off SnakeSkin front last year to save some weight, chance of front sidewall tears is minimal)
    Rear: Racing Ralph 29x2.25 SnakeSkin

If I was racing longer races (4 hr+) I'd go WITHOUT SnakeSkin front and rear, a flat in a race that long (3 minutes to fix, max) will have very little affect on the outcome, but the energy savings that come along with the weight savings can be substantial in a race that long.

A note on my experience with the rocket ron vs. Racing Ralph...I've found the Ralph to corner better on the front, and the Ron to brake better on the rear. So when I run a Ralph and a Ron, the Ron goes on back. The Ron also bites better on the back when standing out of the saddle.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    TSEpic is my biggest event this year, I'll do a few xc races as well, but they are more for fun/getting race fit.

I'm planning on an Ikon 29x2.2 exo tr rear with an Ardent race in 29.2.25 tr front. I like a micro knob tire in the back and something a bit beefier up front. If for whatever reason I don't like this combo, I'll go back to a ralph/nic combo or a fast trak/ground control combo.

mtbr member
    Here in the south east and southern Appalachia it all depends on the weather and the course. If it is a dry, non-techie coarse I run a 2.0 S Works Fast Track F/1.95 Renegade Control R. Dry but a little more technical, 2.0 SW Fast Track or SW Captain/2.0 Fast Track Control. Really technical or muddy Captains front and rear.

As a disclaimer, I work for a Specialized shop and take full advantage of their selection. My wife on the other hand runs 2.2 Racing Ralphs SS front and rear for just about everything and loves them.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @bikeuphill9, You say you work for a Specialized shop. I was wondering if you had any experience using the S-Works Ground Control 2.3 as a front tire? If so please share the pros and cons of that tire.

Formerly of Kent
    Three set ups I have planned for this year. Tufo XC4 tubulars front and rear for courses with sharp rocks, Dugast Fast Bird 52mm tubulars for courses with smoother rocks, and Ground Control/Ground Control for wet courses.

Yes, I am extremely fortunate.

mtbr member
    On my 26er, I'll be running ikons front and rear again. 29er will be racing ralphs and renegades, or a combination of the two. On the cx bike, stans ravens, racing ralphs, and mud 2's. Probably different combinations of those also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Going to try renegade 1.95 f and r as I got them whith a wheel set I bought.

If I dont have the skills for 1.95 on the front I may go 2.3 or fastrak for the front.

For the rocky courses i have RaRa snake skins that I have had really good luck with

Still planning an some wet weather tires. Mabye a purgatory for the front and ground control rear. I get a deal on spec tires and I love how easy they set up tubless

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    @bikeuphill9, You say you work for a Specialized shop. I was wondering if you had any experience using the S-Works Ground Control 2.3 as a front tire? If so please share the pros and cons of that tire.
    I run a Ground Control 2.3 up front. I usually run a Fastrak 2.2 rear or a Ground Control if it's muddy. I really like the Ground Control as a front. Obviously not the fastest rolling option but the stability makes up for it for me.

mtbr member
    I will second what skibum1321 posted. It is a good tire that hooks up well in corners, but suffers from higher rolling resistance because of the larger center knobs. I find that I get plenty of traction for XC riding and racing with the Captain, but certainly for more agressive stuff the Ground Control works well.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    29" Maxxis ikon 2.35 front/2.2 rear for me. Both exo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast