Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

What supplements do you take?

I make protein shakes, but nothing else really. I need help recovering so I can train more. What do you suggest? What really works , and what is a waste of money?

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Endurox after long rides. It's nothing magical, but it does provide fast calories.
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i think that Opytgen HP helps some. (First Endurance) it is expensive though. i usually try to purchase it when they have promotional deals.

i also take salmon oil, glucosamine sulfate, and L-glutamine. i eat 2 tums a day to add some calcium as well since i don't eat dairy.

i am not sure if any supplements are really effective. i could probably stop all of them and see no difference in my performance. if you want to recover better it comes down to finding relaxation time and maximizing sleep.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Cytomax during rides, helps me not get cramps and not be as sore post ride. Mutli-vit everyday. In the off season I like to lift alot, so I take creatine. I do take a protein suppliment every once in a while, but nothing consistent.

mtbr member
    Yesterday I started the Optygen and FE Pre-Race experiment. (That is expensive stuff, BTW $$$$$).

The Pre-race is supposed to add 15W. The optygen supposed to help duration of supra-threshold efforts.

I'm giving it 2 months. I have a PM so I should be able to tell if it's working. I'm going to go periodically to the lunch time hammerfest and see if there's a noticable increase in normalized power over that 40 minutes. Normalized power should capture the effect of those two products.

I'll report back.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 08-24-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Yesterday I started the Optygen and FE Pre-Race experiment. (That is expensive stuff, BTW $$$$$).
    When i've tried phosphate loading in the past it has been quite good but expensive. It's something to save for building up to special events.

I've tried quite a few different food supplements in the past. Most of them are a waste of time so I've cut down a lot and just take a few basic ones now. I always make a particular point of avoiding anything with Chromium Picolinate in the ingredients because I never go well taking that. Apparently it can interfere with iron absorption.

I'm not really a creatine fan either.

I also tend to try and avoid caffeine tablets. It's ok for the occasional one off special event but I'm more consistent over consecutive days without them.

A basic day's supplements look something like this, although there'll sometimes be some other bits and pieces on top:

- Multivitamin
    - Selenium A,C,E supplement (anti-oxidants)
    - Calcium supplement (for bones)
    - Glucosamine/ chondroitin supplement (for joints)

- Iron tablet (seperate from any other supplements for absorption)

I'll usually have 3 whey protein shakes (30g protein per shake) in 600ml of water throughout the day with added raw L-Glutamine and HMB mixed in (always one shake pre-ride / with breakfast and one immediately post ride as soon as I get in. One mid afternoon and then sometimes a fourth one close to bedtime if I'm feeling tired.) The additional L-Glutamine really seems to help with recovery.

I'm not vegetarian but whenever I've tracked my food intake for a few days and calculated the grams of protein per day it always end up being shockingly low. I end up eating mostly carbohydrate. The whey protein shakes are what bring the daily protein intake up to around "normal" levels. With the protein shakes included daily intake ends up being around 64% carbohydrate, 20% protein, 16% fat. I'll post a few sample food diaries if you're interested.

During rides I use orange flavour Maximuscle Viper energy drink. It's not cheap but it goes down easily and I like the taste.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I've been racing on Pre-Race this season (where's the LOL smiley for the 4 or 5 races I've done?) mostly because I'm using the FE Liquid Shot and drink mix and neither have caffeine. Previously was using caffeinated gel, so tried the pre-race to sort of get something similar in the system. I mix that and drink mix pretty light for warm up and race. No complaints so far, though I also don't know if it adds watts. I just use it for stimulation

I think that cramps are more related to fitness and over-extending what your body has available to do at any given point, but Justin's been using EFS all year and (knock on wood) hasn't had issues cramping. He's also been riding steadily since about August last year with no down time (previously - aside from the broken neck and patella - he'd had tendonitis or other random shoulder injuries keeping him off the bike for a few weeks at a time.

I dig the FE stuff. Worth the money for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    I think that cramps are more related to fitness and over-extending what your body has available to do at any given point, but Justin's been using EFS all year and (knock on wood) hasn't had issues cramping.
    i did cramp a little at ISC. duration of that race was longer than most... i still think *my* cramping issues are 100% effort/fitness related.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

Always pushing harder!!!
    supplements? none...

Well, I do have protein smoothies made with friuts, Muscle Milk and mango juice every night just to boost my portein intake, but aside from that, nothing else. Gels and Endurox are also taken regularly while ridind and racing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Tried the Optigen stuff, it does have several different affects. In order for it work with me I needed to ride zone 4 and zone 5 steady. I could hold that hella long, but needed to keep it pumping. It made me feel hot bodied when I initially took it, some herb in there has a happy affect also.

The other interesting side note for me was it gave me...let's see...epic wood. My wife was like uhm, yeah, this was supposed to be a quickie.

Bad news-none really that I know of.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I just try to eat as much Organic (or as close to Organic) protein as possible...

i eat 2 tums a day to add some calcium as well since i don't eat dairy.
    I cut out dairy (at home) and just added unsweetened Almond Milk (Silk brand)
    But I do eat 'cheese' only when I go out to eat burgers and cheese fries...

--Don't know about the Tums (your body gets used to them and would become much less effectice when you need them.) Is it Safe to take 2 a day if you don't need them?? --I do all natural everything (and one Advil for pain if needed)---
    Last edited by 247; 08-25-2011 at 07:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    II also don't know if it adds watts. I just use it for stimulation Worth the money for me.
    Just the other day, Robert Kunz (VP of Research at FE) gave a powerpoint on all the FE products to our cycling team/club. He added that the "pre-race" is just powdered "red bull". When you do the math, I believe it comes out cheaper per serving compared to red bull. that's what sold me on it. That and the 15W supposed power boost.

Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    When i've tried phosphate loading in the past it has been quite good but expensive. It's something to save for building up to special events.
    Robert Kunz also added that Optygen is best used for Build to Peak Periods. Don't use during base or transitions weeks and such. That'll save some money.

Here's part of the powerpoint that he gave. Everyone who attended was just blown away by it. It made it easier to understand their products.
    New Video:The Science Behind Optygen | First Endurance
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 08-25-2011 at 08:13 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I eat pretty healthy (lots of fruits and vegies). I grill just about all my meat. I make protein shakes. About 10 years ago I was into body building, and creatine makes me crazy so I don't take that any more. I do take multi vitamins. I have tried Cytomax. I could tell a little bit of a difference. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Funny - I didnít see anyone mention L-carnitine.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sport Legs

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Chia Seed

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
    Chia Seed
    +1 on the chia seed. Took some getting used to but I have some with breakfast every day and before a race or long ride.

On your left!!!!!
    Cytomax on the bike. Muscle milk after and juice plus before bed.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Amateurs!

I'm not telling details, dose, or timing...
    Arg
    ALCAR
    CEE
    Yohimbine HCl
    Whey isolate
    Casein/whey blend
    Ascorbate
    vit E
    Multi vit
    Taurine
    Tryptophan
    ORP

I'd rather be riding
    Multivitamin
    Endurolytes
    Whey protein

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    you train more by ratcheting down the intensity a bit.. most supplements aren't worth the money, and most of them don't actually show an increase in performance. When looking at sources used to back the products pay attention if they show an increase in power or pace, not just a theoretical marker of performance.

time in the saddle, eat a well-rounded diet, get enough sleep.

mtbr member
    Ok I'll play,
    ergogenic aids and supps in limited amounts at various times throughout the year or sometimes not at all..

Caffine
    ALCAR
    creatine ethyl ester
    cocoa
    SAMe
    licorice
    GABBA
    tryptophan
    magnesium
    asprin
    ferrochel
    Last edited by aussiebullet; 09-07-2011 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    red wine, dark beer, pizza rolls. in that order...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I completely agree with Bioteknik. A balanced diet and intelligent training plan will do the trick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Whey protein milkshakes work for me, with they I can ride hard every other day, without need 3 days rest before I can ride well again.

"Chromium Picolinate" kills me, I see above interfers with Iron absorption I suffer with low iron so makes sense.

Few days of Creatine and bad ulcers and ILL every time, that stuff is not good for you.

I eat entirely Carb's pretty much thats why the Whey Protein shakes work for me i guess, 1 when I get home, 1 the next morning is generally enough, maybe 1 more if muscles still feeling tired.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast