Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What software for power meter?

I am going to be obtaining a power meter (stages), what kind of software have you been using? likes, dislikes, cost
    thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I've only used Golden Cheetah it's FREE and gives me all the Information I need, at this point. I'm curious about other programs (specifically WKO+) but the price tag scares me away. The problem with Golden Cheetah is it doesn't use the same terms that you will find in a book like Dr. Coggans 'Training and Racing with a power meter', (which I highly recommend BTW) so there's a little bit of interpretation there. BTW, I can't imagine training without a PM now that I have one. Definitely money well spent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Golden Cheetah is indeed the best value for money. I have used WKO+ and GC, and I have a slight preference for GC though I do find GC v3.0 to be a little over-complicated but this is solved through familiarisation. An excellent tool with no investment!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Good suggestions above. Another to consider is Sporttracks from Zone5. It's not quite free, but close, and worth the money. The base version may not have all the functionality for power analysis, but the add-on toolboxes make it very powerful ('training load', for example).

There is a Windows PC version and a new web version. I use the PC version primarily because it has more functionality and that's how I roll, but the web version can be handy for uploading and storing rides when travelling without a windows PC. The logfile synchronizes between the PC and web versions.

mtbr member
    PowerAgent is free from the Saris website. That's what I use. I'm used to it and their terms are compatible with the Coggan nomenclature.

What WKO mainly gives you over other software is the load management (ATL, CTL, etc.). I believe sporttracks gives that to ya. golden cheetah has something similar.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here are some links which show power-related functions of Sporttracks, to see if it does what you want.

Training Load (TSS, TRIMP, ATL, CTL time analysis)
    SportTracks ? Plugin Catalog ? Training Load

Critical Power analysis, correlation charts, etc:
    SportTracks ? Plugin Catalog ? Training Analysis

Trainer power tracks:
    SportTracks ? Plugin Catalog ? Trainer Power Track

Custom calculations and analysis.. do what you will with power and other data. Skys the limit.
    SportTracks ? Plugin Catalog ? Calculated Fields

There are other plugins for planning and scheduling, gps routing, etc. A scan of the plugin catalog reveals all.

I find sporttracks pretty intuitive, but then again I've been using it for several years. Some plug-ins are better than others in terms of ease of use. My only gripe with ST is it is only available in Windows -- unless you use the new 'mobi' web-based version. I've always been drawn to Golden Cheetah because it is truly open source and runs natively on Linux, but so far have been too lazy to really give GC a try since ST is working well.

mtbr member

All the different power meter software analysis options have significant flaws. It's a case of choosing the least worst option currently.

The problem with both Poweragent and Golden Cheetah 3.0 is that the graph options for looking at and working with your data aren't there. You can't change the scaling of individual traces on the graph (speed, power, altitude etc) so it winds up being harder to interpret what was going on than it should be. Golden Cheetah 3.0 in particular is lacking a lot of documentation too. If there was a detailed user manual it would help a lot.

I use WKO+ 3.0 at the moment for a few reasons, although it hasn't been updated for years and some parts don't work with Windows 8. The main strengths of WKO+ 3.0 are:

- It allows you to change the individual scales, zoom selections and work with laps quickly and easily in the graph view.

- The search and filtering options allow you to easily find past rides of interest.

- It allows you to set and keep historic power zones. (say you do an FTP test in July whilst you're on top form and you enter a new higher FTP figure into the software, recalculating your power zones, the rides done before the test stay at the lower FTP power level, so that your TSS, IF, reports and PMC (Performance Manager Chart) remain consistent throughout. This is important for tracking progress as if your new higher FTP figure was applied to historic rides it would skew the figures, making what may have been hard rides riding at your lower FTP appear as gentle rides if your new higher FTP figure were to replace the lower FTP figure that you were using at the time.)

WKO 4 is supposed to be released 10 December 2013. Unless there's a glaring issue with it I'll be switching to that once it's available.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I've used both Sporttracks and Golden Cheetah and much prefer Golden Cheetah. I actually don't even use Sporttracks anymore. I just never found the UI to be all that good and GC is designed directly for the job of power analysis. The only thing I used Sporttracks for was tracking runs and swims, but luckily I've given up on those 2 silly sports.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    GC also allows you to track historic power zones. In options, go to Athlete, Power and you can enter an FTP and a date. It uses that for the correct date range.

FasCat Coaching
    WKO+ 4.0 is due out in approx 2 weeks. Based on coggans webinars & not too much has been released, but the new power profile curve is a tremendous change over the previous & is the most accurate on the market. Also will have a whole slew of new stuff that the others will likely be looking to scramble & copy
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member

So long as you keep the original recorded data .fit files on your computer (assuming you're going to be using a Garmin Edge head unit) then you can try out most of the different software packages and websites by importing the .fit files into them whenever you wish. You can try out all the different options side by side to begin with until you decide which works best for you.

When the Garmin Edge is connected to a computer you can browse to the Activities folder on the Garmin Edge and manually copy - paste the .fit files from the Garmin into a folder on your hard drive for safe keeping. Having too many saved .fit files on the Garmin Edge slows it down and they take up storage space so it's best to clear them out periodically. I tend to delete them about once a month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    PowerAgent is free from the Saris website. That's what I use. I'm used to it and their terms are compatible with the Coggan nomenclature.

What WKO mainly gives you over other software is the load management (ATL, CTL, etc.). I believe sporttracks gives that to ya. golden cheetah has something similar.
    I also use PowerAgent. After I purchased the CycleOps spin bike from them, I decided that I might as well use the software too. Works just fine for me.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9 View Post
    WKO+ 4.0 is due out in approx 2 weeks. Based on coggans webinars & not too much has been released, but the new power profile curve is a tremendous change over the previous & is the most accurate on the market. Also will have a whole slew of new stuff that the others will likely be looking to scramble & copy
    I am curious about the WKO+ 4.0 as they have mentioned there will be a native Mac version (release date untold for that). I tried to watch a bit of one or two segments of the "webinar" on 4.0 but nodded off rather quickly.

Will all devices that currently work with earlier versions of WKO still work, or will there be all kinds of patches and updates needed? I have no power meter for my outdoor bikes, and the ones that I do have are not able to upload. Why? My consoles on the basement LeMond and LifeCycle exercise bikes do measure power, cadence, heart rate, speed, distance, etc...but they are so old there is no USB port to export the data. Both companies inform me that it is not possible to upgrade the old consoles to new ones - that I must get new bikes.

I am stuck with simply reading the data face to console at the end of each workout which doesn't do me much good for tracking. So I am looking to "upgrade" but live in an all Mac household (and all Mac work space). I can get a good price on the newer LeMond with the USB port to download workouts at the moment and they would take a trade in on my old machine, so I am tempted for that venue I use for several months each year (basement off season training). But it uses a product called WKO Lite. Not sure how and if that will jive with the new WKO 4 coming out or if it will need to be updated as well. I suppose I should contact LeMond about that... .

I also am looking for a solution that I can use on mulitiple bikes for riding (road and my mountain bikes). If the Garmin pedals ever come out in a SPD format - I think I would be set for portability. I've looked at the iBike Newton, but it doesn't sound very mountain bike friendly. The Stages looks good as well, but again - not portable between road and mountain bike so would have to buy more than one which adds to the investment. Wheel swaps with different rear wheel spacing is out - so I kind of remain "stuck" in my research of a solution. And the software sort of has me "stuck" at the moment as well with what or what not to get.

So - if anyone answering this post currently was all Mac, wanted portability for road bike and mountain bike(s) - what would your solution be to get into a power measuring device and software?

TIA

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I am stuck with simply reading the data face to console at the end of each workout which doesn't do me much good for tracking. So I am looking to "upgrade" but live in an all Mac household (and all Mac work space). I can get a good price on the newer LeMond with the USB port to download workouts at the moment and they would take a trade in on my old machine, so I am tempted for that venue I use for several months each year (basement off season training). But it uses a product called WKO Lite. Not sure how and if that will jive with the new WKO 4 coming out or if it will need to be updated as well. I suppose I should contact LeMond about that... .
    Looking at the manual the Lemond G-Force UT exercise bike exports its data onto the USB memory stick as an Excel .csv file.

Page 19:
    http://www.lemondfitness.com/files/f..._OM_102512.pdf

There shouldn't be a problem importing that .csv file into different training software. It's not as though LeMond are using a proprietary file format that would only work with their own software. One Mac solution would be to upload the file into a web based software eg: Training Peaks web version. So long as you keep the original .csv files they can be imported into multiple programs as needed, in the same way as .fit files from Garmin head units.

There's a Mac compatible version of the Training Peaks Device Agent so you could upload the LeMond .csv files straight into that:

http://support.trainingpeaks.com/device-agent.aspx

The WKO Lite software is probably just a cut down WKO+ 3 (no Mac version) so it wouldn't be much use to you in itself. When the next version of WKO+ comes out they have previously offered an upgrade, so that owners of the previous version have the opportunity to purchase the new software version at a cheaper price than full retail. If WKO Lite is included in that upgrade path it might get you a cheaper copy of the WKO+ 4 Mac version perhaps.

WKO+ 4 is delayed so it isn't clear when it will actually be released now. They missed their original release date.

Always Learning
    Thanks, WR304! I think I'm going to wheel and deal for the LeMond trainer as an "upgrade" for me in the basement training department.

mtbr member

Some possible software for using with a Mac is a program called Rubitrack. It comes in an IOS version too which allows you to import various file formats (including .csv) by uploading to Dropbox and then transferring them into the IOS app.

http://www.rubitrack.com/index.html

IOS version:
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rubi...722893490?mt=8

There isn't a PC version so I haven't tried it but it might be worth a look.

mtbr member

I gave the RubiTrack IOS app a try, bulk importing my 2013 .fit files in via Dropbox.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing the summary pages and a red highlighted section of ride. If you look alongside the red highlighted line on the map you get the different power zones laid out alongside the GPS track.

This shows the Calendar view. You can arrange this in different ways, allocate different rides to different activity types etc. When I bulk imported the ride files the turbo trainer rides were identified in green as walking whilst the outdoor files were identified in red as cycling (you can manually change this). The view can be expanded or shrunk for weekly, monthly or mini (annual) views.

This shows one of the overall summary screens. You swipe sideways to switch between metrics. Here the top of the page shows total ride time per month in hours (red is outdoors, green is turbo training). As you can see I missed my overall target for December 2013 ( to do more than the month before). It stopped raining around midday 31 December 2013 but I was too tired to get out for a proper ride so settled for just doing an hour on the turbo trainer.

The bottom of the page shows total climbing ascent (in feet) per month. It's not easy to get this figure as a total in WKO+ 3.0 so I found it interesting that apparently I did over 42,000ft of climbing in November.

The app is a bit limited in terms of features for looking at power data. You don't get that many options for displaying power metrics. It feels like that part isn't really fully complete at the moment. You do get a training stress section in the summaries though which appears to be using power data. There are gaps where my powermeter was broken so it looks like it uses power data for that. The top of the page is "Short Term Training Stress", the bottom of the page is "Long Term Training Stress".

This shows the detail from an individual ride. I've highlighted the GPS track for the hill, which has displayed the summary info alongside. You can zoom in and out and also read off individual values on the graph. Although the manual lap markers are shown you only get time and distance for each lap.

Always Learning
    Sounds good. Or at least it sounds like there is more than one option available.

mtbr member
    Honestly, Strava Premium has some pretty cool analysis tools.

I'm using TrainingPeaks premium online with my coach. I can't say I understand everything about it yet but it definitely has the communications infrastructure that's needed to support that working relationship. I wonder if WKO+ has more or less the same features?

mtbr member

There's been quite a large update for RubiTrack for IOS. It adds in some of the features that it was missing before, such as being able to change the graph axis from distance to time and also see the Manual Lap information from your ride files by tapping on individual laps. Scrolling and zooming works a lot better now too.

This picture shows where I have highlighted Lap 2 and the information is displayed. To switch between laps you tap on the Lap numbers just below the graph. This selection appears on the GPS map view if you have them visible alongside one another at the same time. I have the graph with the X axis set to time here which is my preferred view. Previously you could only have the X axis set to distance so that's a big improvement.

The update has also added in some new power meter metrics and options as well. Here's a screenshot of the update list and bug fixes for RubiTrack v1.1.

mtbr member
    If you've got rubiTrack for IOS don't install today's 1.1.1 update. It stops the program working (as I've just discovered. )

There's a forum post saying that there will be a fix for it soon though:

The rubiTrack Forum ? View topic - DO NOT UPDATE TO VERSION 1.1.1

mtbr member

The new Garmin Connect app syncs with the 510 and 810 via Bluetooth much more quickly. I pass the file over to Trainingpeaks and Strava with Tapirrik.com

mtbr member
    They're supposed to be adding new things to the Garmin Connect website, including segments like in Strava apparently.

DCRainmaker did an article a while ago about some of the different options for getting your data from Garmin Connect into other websites:

3 Ways to Automatically Copy Your Garmin Training Data to Other Fitness Sites | DC Rainmaker

Another article that he wrote on the same subject is this one about the purchase of MapMyFitness too.

What the acquisition of MapMyFitness by Under Armour really means for the industry | DC Rainmaker

mtbr member

A nice feature in rubiTrack is the ability to see how much time you spent freewheeling during a ride. If you have a recorded power or cadence trace you can adjust the zones setting in rubiTrack so that <1 watt or rpm is displayed as a seperate item.

This picture shows how I have the colour coded zones set so that the first zone is between 0 and 1 watts to split out the time where I wasn't pedalling. I have the zones set for even amounts here instead of training zones.

This picture shows the pie chart power summary giving the time spent in each zone. If you have "Follow Selection" ticked then the pie chart will update to show the time in zones for just what you have selected. That's actually a lot easier to use than WKO+ 3.0 as to get the same split power information for individual sections of a ride in WKO+ 3.0 you have to copy and paste bits of file into new workouts.

So long as you have "Detect Stops" selected and "Use Original Device Data" unselected in the rubiTrack ride settings this will exclude any stationary time from the summary.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Some possible software for using with a Mac is a program called rubiTrack. It comes in an IOS version too which allows you to import various file formats (including .csv) by uploading to Dropbox and then transferring them into the IOS app.

http://www.rubitrack.com/index.html

IOS version:
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rubi...722893490?mt=8
    rubiTrack for IOS has been updated now so that it's free with a paid upgrade to unlock some extra features. (I paid 23.99 GBP for it... ) Still, it's a good app that I use quite a bit.

One of the nice things that you get in rubiTrack which isn't in WKO+ 3.0 is the ability to look at left - right power balance. The graph below is using my Power2Max power meter. Here I was a doing a series of sprint intervals of different durations. You can see quite well how the left right power balance changes with intensity. (My good right leg does most of the work cycling whilst my bad left leg does very little so it's correct for the power balance to never be 50/50.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast