mtbr member

What should be in my "water" bottle when riding base miles on the trainer?

What's the latest thinking on this?

I'm riding 100 miles a week (20 mi x 5 days) on the trainer over December, January, and February to build base during these winter months.

Three of the five days, I ride very early (5:00 AM) in order to squeeze it in before breakfast and before I head in to the office. I'm finding that a banana during the ride helps a ton and allows me to eat a bit smaller breakfast.

However, rather than straight water, I'm thinking I should have a better electrolyte drink. Concur? What do you recommend?

By the way, i'm a 48 year old, fairly fit, and have been regularly riding for about four years. This upcoming season, I plan to ride at least three mountain bike marathons (events they have here in Germany that range from 80 to 100k, with lots - LOTS - of climbing. First one is in April.

I'm all ears... and getting thirsty...
    Thanks in advance,
    _Matt
    I just wanna ride....

mtbr member

What should be in my "water" bottle when riding base miles on the trainer?

Are you sweating a lot or fatiguing badly before you reach the end of the 1 hour turbo trainer session?

For a 1 hour (20 mile) ride on the turbo trainer I'd just have a bottle of plain water.

For longer (multi hour) rides outdoors I have energy drink but for such a short ride indoors I wouldn't feel the need to mix up any energy drink.

Immediately post ride I'd try and have a recovery protein shake and some proper food for breakfast though, in order to set you up for the rest of the day.

mtbr member
    +1 to what WR304 said

Remember a nutrition supplement is just that a supplement!

So try to get enough protein fat and carbs along with fiber in your regular breakfast instead of trying to rely on a protein shake, they are great to complement your breakfast but not to be the major part of it.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Are you sweating a lot or fatiguing badly before you reach the end of the 1 hour turbo trainer session?

For a 1 hour (20 mile) ride on the turbo trainer I'd just have a bottle of plain water.

For longer (multi hour) rides outdoors I have energy drink but for such a short ride indoors I wouldn't feel the need to mix up any energy drink.

Immediately post ride I'd try and have a recovery protein shake and some proper food for breakfast though, in order to set you up for the rest of the day.
    Now that I'm using a fan in front of the trainer, I'm not sweating all that much....still dab with a towel every 10 min or so.

Thanks for the advice!
    Plain water, it is.
    I just wanna ride....

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Plain water for me for trainer rides.

Fan, towel, and headband help with sweat.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, anything under an hr and a half is water for me too

VIP
    Jun 2006
    Bourbon. Well, that's about the thing that could get me through a base session on the turbo.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Two bottles of ice-cold, whole milk would be a great choice. It has a good amount of protein for muscle building and carbs for energy.

I like this place