Always pushing harder!!!

What to expect on a road stage race?

3 days...I did a recon ride today of the first stage...70 km with 6,500 ft of climbing in 2:30 hrs...2nd and 3rd days are 65 km each but even though I know the route, I didn't rode it before...

to anyone that has done events like this, what expect? 6 man team all mountain bikers...all of us always at the top of our classes...all of us almost at the same level on XC racing...

Formerly of Kent
    Generally speaking, MTB riders/racers seem to have some sort of ingrained aversion to riding hard multiple days in a row. If that's the case, get ready for some suffering.

That, and if you don't race on the road at all, or often, a 6 man "team" won't be very team-like. Numbers don't mean anything if you don't know how to race on the road.

mtbr member
    I've done about a dozen stage races and I'll agree with Duke, there are some tactics in road racing that takes experience to learn. Then there's also basic pack riding skills that takes a while to be comfortable with. So this stage race may be more of a learning experience than anything else.

Do you guys have a good amount of pack riding experience? Are there classifications for this race, or is it just an "open" event.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Always pushing harder!!!
    We all do some road races during the year with our respective teams, but the ones that are doing this event, we haven't raced together ever. Nonetheless, as individuals, we all have been successful also on road races. Three od our riders perform and even win when the road pitches up, and that's the biggest factor of this race...climbing. The other three, are very good at pace-making on the flats and climb well also. As for tactics, we know we might me lacking in some areas, but we do have more strengths than weaknesses. I'm the one with the least experience on the team, but for the past two months, I've trained almost exclusively with a teammate who has years of RR under his belt, going on training rides with other road teams and getting to know who's who on the road teams so we can keep an eye on those guys......

I know a will suffer...but I also know I will enjoy the experience...

mtbr member
    In this race it sounds like the GC battle will be over first stage. With that big a climb, the strongest climbers will get in a break and make a time gap that probably won't be made up in a TT or other stage (unless there are really bad crosswinds). If one of your riders is in GC podium position after stage 1, then you guys will have to do what you can to keep him there (haha, this sounds like the freakin tour de france).

After the big climb (in stage 1) and if you have a teammate/s in the break, then the rest of your guys will have to "not work" in order to maximize his/their time gap. If you have no guys in the break, then your team will have to chase like gangbusters. (Seems like common sense, but you would not believe how many people pull the whole peleton to their own teammates, which is essentially like racing as individuals).

If one of the stages is a crit, then that's a good place to go for a stage podium since most times it just stays together till the end. therefore you can kinda forget working for your GC guy.

So you guys will have to decide what to do after stage 1. Also, it's good to have an agreement up front how you will race together. I had a teammate once who wouldn't work with me, which was nice to know beforehand since I knew to treat him like any other racer.

Also, time to start hunting down some TT gear: TTbars, skinsuit, and helmet. i believe those are the best bang for buck and time savings.
    www.utahmtb.org

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    In this race it sounds like the GC battle will be over first stage. With that big a climb, the strongest climbers will get in a break and make a time gap that probably won't be made up in a TT or other stage (unless there are really bad crosswinds). If one of your riders is in GC podium position after stage 1, then you guys will have to do what you can to keep him there (haha, this sounds like the freakin tour de france).

After the big climb (in stage 1) and if you have a teammate/s in the break, then the rest of your guys will have to "not work" in order to maximize his/their time gap. If you have no guys in the break, then your team will have to chase like gangbusters. (Seems like common sense, but you would not believe how many people chase down their own teammates, which is essentially like racing as individuals).

If one of the stages is a crit, then that's a good place to go for a stage podium since most times it just stays together till the end. therefore you can kinda forget working for your GC guy.

So you guys will have to decide what to do after stage 1. Also, it's good to have an agreement up front how you will race together. I had a teammate once who wouldn't work with me, which was nice to know beforehand since I knew to treat him like any other racer.

Also, time to start hunting down some TT gear: TTbars, skinsuit, and helmet. i believe those are the best bang for buck and time savings.
    No TT on this one, but Sunday will be a Crit...Yesterday when we rode the first day course, well agreed that whoever makes the first two climbs in the lead group, will finish in the podium. We already decided who we are going to ride for. We have two very strong climbers and one of them is a very fast sprinter. 2nd stage on Saturday consists of to big loops with a lot of rolling hills and crosswinds.

Here is a link the the first stage...there are some nasty descents!!!

Reconocimeinto Coqui Dorado 1er dia by carlostruco at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlostruco View Post
    Sunday will be a Crit
    It's nice to plan out a "suicide man" for the end of a crit. Here's how it goes:
    -Before the race starts, determine who is going to be your suicide man.
    -Race the crit normally, pull back any breaks.
    -With about 1-3 laps to go (depending on lap size), there is usually a little slowdown since everyone is saving something for the final sprint. That's when your suicide man goes. It should be a hard-surprise attack (preferably from 10th wheel or so) that makes a big gap right off the bat.
    -Of course your team doesn't chase, and if people take too long to chase he may make it solo to finish line.
    -If someone or group decides to chase, remaining teammates gets behind them and use them as a leadout for the sprint. The chaser should be gassed and some of your guys may be able to get around them at the line.

As a team, this has worked out pretty good for us before.
    www.utahmtb.org

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    It's nice to plan out a "suicide man" for the end of a crit. Here's how it goes:
    -Before the race starts, determine who is going to be your suicide man.
    -Race the crit normally, pull back any breaks.
    -With about 1-3 laps to go (depending on lap size), there is usually a little slowdown since everyone is saving something for the final sprint. That's when your suicide man goes. It should be a hard-surprise attack (preferably from 10th wheel or so) that makes a big gap right off the bat.
    -Of course your team doesn't chase, and if people take too long to chase he may make it solo to finish line.
    -If someone or group decides to chase, remaining teammates gets behind them and use them as a leadout for the sprint. The chaser should be gassed and some of your guys may be able to get around them at the line.

As a team, this has worked out pretty good for us before.
    cool tip!!!