mtbr member

What ever happened with that guy going from Cat 3 to Cat 1?

Anyone know what happened with that guy who was going to jump from Cat 3 to Cat 1? I remember it being a pretty long thread.

Anyway if you are out there let us know how it went...no judgements just curious.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't recall that thread...
    Did'nt know it was possible to go from C3 to C1. Maybe that's where the long thread you refer to comes into play.
    I may not have the best of everything, but I have everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideStrong View Post
    Don't recall that thread...
    Did'nt know it was possible to go from C3 to C1. Maybe that's where the long thread you refer to comes into play.
    yeah, I think he wrote a letter asking for the upgrade, and I think he got it if I remember right. He must be riding, and not have time to update.

mtbr member
    This is the thread you were looking for.

USA Cycling XC Upgrade from CAT 3 to CAT1.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Hmm?

Wow...interesting thread. I missed that one somehow back in the day.. Thanks WR034

Anyone out here in S. Cal hoping to jump from CAT3 to CAT1 will most likely get completely crushed. If that is what it takes to motivate this guy, then go for it.?!

I do like the idea of "paying your dues" in CAT2 like we all did before going on to CAT1.

If everyone did what this guy did, CAT1 would lose its prestige imo..

I have a stubborn friend who is mid pack CAT2 on a good day. He insisted on moving to CAT1 kinda for the same reason. Now, the ONLY people he beats are the DNFers

likes to ride bikes
    Unfortunately I know several people who've followed this rationale this year, or used the "more distance, better value for my registration fee" justification.

Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post

I have a stubborn friend who is mid pack CAT2 on a good day. He insisted on moving to CAT1 kinda for the same reason. Now, the ONLY people he beats are the DNFers
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 06-30-2011 at 12:27 PM.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Wow...interesting thread. I missed that one somehow back in the day.. Thanks WR034

Anyone out here in S. Cal hoping to jump from CAT3 to CAT1 will most likely get completely crushed. If that is what it takes to motivate this guy, then go for it.?!

I do like the idea of "paying your dues" in CAT2 like we all did before going on to CAT1.

We have two series here in New England; Root 66 which is USAC sanctioned, and EFTA which is not.
    When a person who primarily races EFTA, even at the Elite level wants to upgrade to CAT1, after they petition for the upgrade, they need to finish top 5 in CAT2 before being approved. EFTA Expert and Elites correlates with CAT and Open / Pro respectively, so this leads to lots of "sandbagger" grumblings. They don't want to sandbag, but USAC needs them to (at least once).

On a different note, I have a friend who is a strong road rider who only did a few of CAT2 races before he moved up and he's regretting it. He feels he really could have used more technical experience to be competitive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone out here in S. Cal hoping to jump from CAT3 to CAT1 will most likely get completely crushed.
    this may or may not be true.

i only did like one or two beginner/CAT3 XC races, but i did quite a few DH races...

i don't think i ever won a sport race in XC. admittedly i trained my butt off (literally and figuratively) between 2008 season and 2009 season. i was already a fast descender so all i really needed was climbing. 2009 i wasn't the racer i am now, but i would have been blowing the sport (cat2) riders out of the water.

i am not some super talent. i don't think i have some wicked high genetic VO2max. this year i have trained up my FTP into the 4.5w/kg range. i may get destroyed at nats despite my good local results. only time will tell.

i am just saying that if someone buckles down and really focuses, and they don't have a big history of training, they can see rapid gains and can have reasonable results in CAT1. it is possible
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme View Post
    this may or may not be true.
    i am not some super talent. i don't think i have some wicked high genetic VO2max. this year i have trained up my FTP into the 4.5w/kg range. i may get destroyed at nats despite my good local results. only time will tell.
    [/I][/U]
    This is a good example of great CAT 1 verses pro. Pro guys are averaging that in enduro events. Some Pro woman profiles I have read about average this on XC races. The pros just have the genes.

mtbr member
    "Only" 4.5 watts/kg? I know plenty of Cat 1ers who are around 4 watts/kg. 4.5 is very respectable.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XCFred View Post
    "Only" 4.5 watts/kg? I know plenty of Cat 1ers who are around 4 watts/kg. 4.5 is very respectable.
    If you go much higher than 4.5 w/kg you are getting into elite rider territory assuming the person has bike handling skills. I tend to think 4.5-5.0 w/kg is someone with the potential to race in a regional pro field and hold their own.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I believe I know the guy in question and let's just say he's getting lots of incentive to train harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback View Post
    If you go much higher than 4.5 w/kg you are getting into elite rider territory assuming the person has bike handling skills. I tend to think 4.5-5.0 w/kg is someone with the potential to race in a regional pro field and hold their own.
    at some local races (recent rim nordic race) i am on the doorstep of making a top 5 time in the Pro class.

funny thing though, i am no where near the top amateur in the area as there are two guys in 30-34 that blow my doors off on any given day.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

Formerly of Kent

I did one (1) Category 2 race before I became a Category 1 racer. If you have the skills to do it, there's no need for you to stay around in the lower categories before moving on.