mtbr member

what to eat on race morning?? first race did a search...

I tried searching "eat" but the search engine wont do under 4 letters.

anyways i'm doing my first race next sunday (short race under 10 miles) and was thinking of just eating a p'b sandwich 2 hours before i race.

sound good??? should i drink some sort of energy type drink also???

mtbr member
    Depending on your fitness level (?) 10 miles could take you somewhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours? For that distances you really don't need a ton of calories, so I would suggest something small, something a bit light and something you enjoy. You will do fine with a PBJ and some juice (if that works for your stomach). 1 H2O bottle should also get you through, if you want some kind of energy mix again would be fine.

mtbr member
    I'm 38 and i've been averaging around 11.5-11.9 mph for 9 miles on my local trail without techy climbs.

Dirty South Underdog
    Eat/drink whatever you normally eat/drink for that type of ride.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'd also recomend a fairly normal breakfast. About 1hr prior to the race I like to feel like everything has pretty much digested and the belly feels kinda empty, somewhat hungry. Eating fairly light and well in advance works good.

About 30min prior to start, start riding, warm up, and get in a few short but brisk efforts to raise the breathing and maybe get a little sweat going. During this warmup I would be sipping on a water bottle with a sports drink mix. I like Powerbar Endurance mix, its light, and has the right amount of carbs for me. I will usually drink about half a bottle during warmup.

When its time to line up, I'd set aside whatever is left of the first bottle and grab a full bottle with the same mix and drink that during the event.. taking a gulp here and there where possible, but not necessarily forcing it down. Just maintaining a light flow of calories.

Afterwards finish off the bottles and have another PBJ or something lighter (depending on hunger) and resume with a normal eating pattern.

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    This is the only correct answer IMO. Race day is not the time to experiment

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I'll second that! You state your a beginner, so just play it safe. You should begin experimenting with what, how much and how close to the ride you can eat.

NOTHING kills a good ride more than dealing with a load of undigestables.

It's about showing up.

The issue is WHEN you eat WHAT.

In the long view there are foods to eat in the days before a race but it isn't magic. Some research on this has come to de-emphasize "carbo loading" but I still love it. There are lots of very specific ideas about this but, personally, I think this is all from picky eaters who became nutritionists. I recall one coach who was a former anorexic and another who was vegan and having these sorts of stomachs dictate diet for athletes in the fatter part of the bell curve makes little sense. Having said that I am 58 with a modest pot belly who is waiting for science to discover that pot roast, mashed potatoes and gravy is, and always has been, the best food for you so why listen to me either. Anyhow.....this is what works for the racers on my team.

If you eat a breakfast from 3-4 hours ahead of your race you can probably have your basic heart attack feast. Your traditional Ranchero Mexican foods, Chorizo and eggs, Huevos Rancheros, Chilaquiles though, will challenge you so be warned. Urp! 'Scuz me!

If you eat a breakfast from 2-3 hours ahead of your race you can probably have the same but leave out any more than a taste of breakfast meats.

If you eat a breakfast from 1-2 hours ahead of your race you can probably have the same but a much smaller portion. At this point bagels, fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, pbj, that sort of thing, seem to work better.

Within the last hour bagels, fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, pbj, that sort of thin will work but in lesser amounts. A Clif bar in the last 30 minutes seems to work to hold off hunger and give you a bit to work with.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to test this stuff out. Do not experiment on race day. Do your food testing on your workout days. I can't tell you how many rookies I've seen hurling on the course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Keep it bland and low on fat and protein, and at least three hours before your warmup, so probably 3.5 hours before race start. I'll sometimes have instant cream of wheat with honey on the drive there. Then I'll do a gel at the start line; for a short race, that's probably more superstition than anything.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog
    I tried searching "eat" but the search engine wont do under 4 letters.

anyways i'm doing my first race next sunday (short race under 10 miles) and was thinking of just eating a p'b sandwich 2 hours before i race.

sound good??? should i drink some sort of energy type drink also???
    Funny 'cause PB&J/soda is my favorite pre race/pre ride food. Depending on how I feel I might switch the soda for a Monster 16oz. Those sandwiches tend to settle in my belly just right and keep me full for the first hour.

mtbr member
    I usually have a banana and peanut butter before a race. Whatever will work fine for a short race. As a general rule, no energy drink or gels needed for anything under an hour and a half or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=KNOWLEDGE

I tried the "no breakfast" method for a 65km race and obtained great results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would think peanut butter would be a poor food to east before any sort of race. It is high it fats and takes a long time to leave your stomach. Why not just have a bowl of oatmeal of something like that? I eat black beans and rice and drink coffee, like I do every day. I drink a lot of water in the car and have a snack if the race starts late in the morning. Remember to bring a sandwich (pbj is good here) for after the race, put it right in your bag with your dry clothes, eating right after will help you feel better faster.