Pastor Josh

What to eat after the ride?

Ok so I ride about 25 miles a day through some relatively gnarly terrain and when I get home I am normally wicked hungry. I am still trying to shed some weight so I donít want to gorge myself on just anything in fact I donít want to gorge myself at all. So whatís something good to eat? I have been eating some fat free cottage cheese and I am getting a bit board with that. I started out Sept 1 09 at 250lbs and I am down to 220 and looking to get down to between 200 and 210. I am 6í5Ē with an athletic build so I feel like this will be a good weight.
    So what do you guys think?
    Character trumps Charisma every time.

What, me worry?
    Thick, and creamy yoplait fat free yogurt, egg sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, bananas.
    Anybody on a bike worth more than 1.5 times yours is a tool, and on a bike worth less than 1/2 yours is a loser.- fallzboater

Pastor Josh
    MMMM.... Im thinking of putting those last two together... a nice peanut butter bananna sandwitch...
    Character trumps Charisma every time.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Keep track of your daily calories, and the riding benefits will be three-fold. That's all you need to remember...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A lean meat and potatoes or rice(simple carbs) dish would be alright soon after finishing a long ride but otherwise Vegetables, fruits and lean meats is what works for me.
    The less processing before your kitchen the better.

Nice ride

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Peanut butter/honey/banna sandwiches and a big chocolate milk goes down well straight after a big ride.

Then follow it up with a meal later based on lean meats and veges.
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeshwa24
    MMMM.... Im thinking of putting those last two together... a nice peanut butter bananna sandwitch...
    Both PB and bananas are pretty calorically dense. Go with half a sammich. Or just a banana with a little PB smeared on it. [Which, incidentally, is what my last date said.] That will tide you over until your next proper meal. [Which my last date also said.]

I'm not into counting calories, but it's worthwhile making sure that you're not blowing through the caloric deficit you've attained during your ride in the ten minutes following. Especially if you want to lose weight.

ganginwood
    cereal and soy milk. easy to pack and its got the numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Protein and Carbs
    I'll usually go with chocolate milk, or cereal, if I'm keeping it simple.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

no more sweet stuff

after guzzling cytomax,gu paks and cliff bars for 4 hours I need something salty and a cold friendly(beer) just one .

A couple handfuls of Cheetos or Fritos solves the craving, then its on to a subway tuna/turkey sandwich for the ride home.

mtbr member
    Cheeseburgers and hot dogs and beer.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    double post
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Keep track of your daily calories, and the riding benefits will be three-fold. That's all you need to remember...
    Agree completely. The benefits of proper post workout nutrition are very noticeable in terms of the bodyís ability to recover from a workout. I personally am a proponent of the Paleo Diet for Athletes and have experienced the effects first hand. Post workout I use a homemade shake that is actually spelled out in the book based on duration of exercise and bodyweight which for me ends up being 12floz of apple juice, 1/2 banana, and a scoop of 25 grams of whey protein blended together. I combine this with 1/4 cup of raisins and either a 1 cup of granola with a splash of milk or 1 medium sized boiled red potato. The idea behind what goes into it is three fold. First is by consuming non acidic alkaline foods your bodyís PH levels balance out improving overall recovery. Second you need to give your body protein to repair muscle tissue damaged during the workout. Lastly you need to consume carbohydrates to replace used glycogen stores and creates an insulin spike which helps move nutrients to the muscle tissue more quickly.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.