mtbr member
    Aug 2011

What to do? 30 minutes for lunch workout

I have a 45 minute lunch break with a workout facility in the basement and 30 minutes to ride in between changing clothes and showering and eating a quick lunch.

There is a stationary bike there that gives me a pretty good work out as it has a dial to change the resistance. In the winter months I am planning on riding it two times a week, and running (3 mi) the other two days a week given that the weather is nice enough. On Friday I usually go out for lunch.

With only 30 minutes it seems like intervals would be the most beneficial. I have a heart rate monitor and timer and what I have been doing is 5 min warmup and 1 min on and 1 min off for 20 minutes and a 5 minute cool down. I do the minute intervals pretty hard and put a good effort into them so that I definitely feel it when I'm done. I don't have watts or speed/distance for any more information other than my heartrate and timer.

Would you recommend some other type of interval given only 30 minutes? Like 2 min on and 1 min off, or tabata intervals?

Here is the Garmin profile. Disregard the sharp dip on the HRM, I think it was wonky right then.
    Trainer Intervals by scottie369 at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Recovery rides, stretching and core

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    doubleup
    Last edited by bisicklay; 12-13-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: doublepost

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you're not doing some solid weight training, you should. After an injury last season, high-intensity interval training with weights (and plenty of bike sprints) has gotten me back into race form very quickly. Essentially, it's crossfit for bikers.
    This guy has solid workouts for bikers:
    DB Combo Drills: Improving Your Cardio Through Strength Training | Mountain Bike Training Programs

I torque the above workout by mixing in dumbell/kettlebell swings, 1-leg squats, bulgarian split squats, and split jumps; vary the dumbell weights, increase rep #, etc. I usually do 7 sets of 5-7 reps. Try going for 2-3min straight, break for 60 seconds, go 2-3 min again. After 7 cycles, you'll be happily done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

It Depends...

Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    I have a 45 minute lunch break with a workout facility in the basement and 30 minutes to ride in between changing clothes and showering and eating a quick lunch.

There is a stationary bike there that gives me a pretty good work out as it has a dial to change the resistance. In the winter months I am planning on riding it two times a week, and running (3 mi) the other two days a week given that the weather is nice enough. On Friday I usually go out for lunch.

With only 30 minutes it seems like intervals would be the most beneficial. I have a heart rate monitor and timer and what I have been doing is 5 min warmup and 1 min on and 1 min off for 20 minutes and a 5 minute cool down. I do the minute intervals pretty hard and put a good effort into them so that I definitely feel it when I'm done. I don't have watts or speed/distance for any more information other than my heartrate and timer.

Would you recommend some other type of interval given only 30 minutes? Like 2 min on and 1 min off, or tabata intervals?

Here is the Garmin profile. Disregard the sharp dip on the HRM, I think it was wonky right then.
    Trainer Intervals by scottie369 at Garmin Connect - Details
    Are you looking at general fitness? Prepare for MTB rides or races? From description (2 days of biking - 30min, 3 days of running 3 miles) that you are giving it sounds like you are a runner, cross-training with cycling, I am not getting down on you, just listening to what you are saying.

With the small amount of time you are proposing - you need to be specific to event (mtb riding?) to which you are training.

With lunch involved, you should not eat right before HIT (high intensity) training. And you should not feel like it after finishing

To answer your question:
    I do not know your fitness background (years training, cycling, running experience),
    With limited time on bike, (30min) I would have to say Tabata to failure. 20sec on/ 10 sec off.
    Hard part will be ramping up warm-up to 20sec on level. It really should be at least 15m warm-up. Last 5 min of warm-up @ or near your 20 min all out pace.

Then, rest a couple of min. You will be going all out ( about 9 out of 10 for "on" portion). It will take some experimenting for pace (ex. 10m of total Tabata workout - yes, I know some people will argue with this definition of tabata). Final effort will/should leave you "smoked". A few minutes for cool-down

You should not eat right before doing Tabata's...This is getting more challenging. You should not feel like eating right after Tabata's either.

I do not know how you will recover with running also on your plate with on/off days

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea, I guess I could have put in more information. Next year will be 3rd year racing. I will be 30 this summer. Last year I was midpack Cat B, and this coming year I would like to be a little bit more competitive, but I don't have the desire or time to put in to be CAT A. I usually get 1 to 2 decent rides (varying from an hour to 3 hours) in on the weekends and during lighter/warmer months I ride on Tuesday and/or Thursday after work for about an hour+. Pretty much all of my rides are MTB rides unless the trails are unfavorable. Monday and Wednesday are days for running. I already do core/stretching workouts while watching tv at night. I am planning on resuming my weight lifting program in January after work. I have a hard time lifting weights in the warmer months because I just want to be outside. The main reason for running is that I feel like it is a really good use of 30 minutes. I also do a biathlon and an Xterra or 2 a year.

So I am not basing all of my training on an hour of running and an hour of biking a week. I am just trying to see what people have to offer for advice on what best use I can make with 30 minutes. 30 minutes is still 30 minutes, and it is better than 0 minutes.

I will try the tabata intervals. So that I have it right. 10 min tempo @ 6-7 RPE, 5 min @ 8-9 RPE, and 10 minutes of tabata of 20 seconds of 10 RPE, 10 seconds off 1 RPE, and then 5 min cool down 3-4 RPE.

I don't eat before my lunch workouts and I know what you mean about not wanting to eat after some of them as well.

mtbr member
    10 minutes of tabata may be too long to be able to hit decent power during the 20 seconds periods.

I would suggest to go for 4 minute tabatas (8x20/10), rest for 5 minutes and do another 4 minutes if you can. But remember that you never pace the 20 second periods. It is all out, even if the power degrades, since the idea is to go for maximum available effort. Speaking for myself, 20 seonds feels like an eternity when I go all out.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That just seems like too short a time period for warmup/recovery to/from high intensity intervals and then going back to the desk sweating like a "pig"

Yeah, you can fit "something" in over 30 minutes but IME that's not a great item to try to squeeze into a narrow time slot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Serious, you have a good point. I might try that first and work my way up to the 10 min if I feel up to it. I have done a few tabatas on the road and after 2 or 3 minutes I am pretty much toast. I was doing out of the saddle sprinting. I don't really know if that is the way to do them or not.

I shower afterwards and have a little fan at my desk. It does a pretty good job at cooling me down. I get pretty hot and sweaty running at noon on 95+ days so this isn't too dif.

Walt Disney, what would you do with 30 minutes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Serious, you have a good point. I might try that first and work my way up to the 10 min if I feel up to it. I have done a few tabatas on the road and after 2 or 3 minutes I am pretty much toast. I was doing out of the saddle sprinting. I don't really know if that is the way to do them or not.

I shower afterwards and have a little fan at my desk. It does a pretty good job at cooling me down. I get pretty hot and sweaty running at noon on 95+ days so this isn't too dif.

Walt Disney, what would you do with 30 minutes?
    That is a great question and since you said you're already doing your core/stretching later in the day...I don't have a good answer I've honestly never tried to squeeze a "cycling" workout into that time frame - seriously I need at least 10 minutes to warm up for high tempo-ish riding. For Tabata-ish intensity I'm usually looking at 20 min or more - ymmv

Not knowing how busy you are outside of work kinda plays into this too. I tend to do my weekday rides in the mornings before work so that when I get home, I can help the kid with homework and hang out with my wife. Workwise, I don't have a defined lunch period so I could run/ride at work but prefer to get the @$!# out asap so generally work through lunch.

Having said that, running is great for short time frames. As fall/cx season approaches I'll incorporate stairs/hills/plyo's into my running but we're coming up on winter/spring. Maybe take that 1/2hr and look for stuff you "need" on eBay or craigslist or get your stuff in order so that when you're not at work you're able to play

Happy Trails
    Could you check with your boss about coming in fifteen mins early and taking an about for lunch? That would open up a lot of options. But after I've come back from the edge over going over the triathlon deep end I've re-learned that a 20 minute workout can be awesome way to keep a training buzz going. Back when was training 12 -14 hours a week I felt if I didn't have time for a six mile run or 30 mile,ride it wasn't worth going out, and that was huge mistake. Now at 8-10 hours per week and over 100,000 airline miles this year I'm benefitting from and enjoying from plenty of 30 minute workouts.

On your 2 weekly ride days, with 30 minutes, I'd go 3 sets of
    - ride 9 minutes
    - follow with thirty 12-pound weighted squat-jumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Like I said...

Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    10 minutes of tabata may be too long to be able to hit decent power during the 20 seconds periods.

I would suggest to go for 4 minute tabatas (8x20/10), rest for 5 minutes and do another 4 minutes if you can. But remember that you never pace the 20 second periods. It is all out, even if the power degrades, since the idea is to go for maximum available effort. Speaking for myself, 20 seonds feels like an eternity when I go all out.
    (ex. 10m of total Tabata workout - yes, I know some people will argue with this definition of tabata)