mtbr member
    Jul 2009

what an anti-climax.... and how much is too much?

well today was race day, my first enduro type xc race ever and I had prepped meticulously. Feeling awesome out of the gate, I was passing people effortlessly on the first climb despite my goal of just finishing in one piece.

but it was not to be my day - 1.5hrs in, still feeling great, the giy in front of me kicked up a branch into my drivetrain and my derailleur hanger snapped in half. I had to carry my bike out to the nearest marshall. Duly pissed, I wrote off my race, decided to take off my derailleur and see how far I could get going singlespeed. still not to be, however, when the rest of my chain snapped not long after.

I had to exit the course using a combination of coasting and pushing. Talk about an anti-climax to my hugely anticipated race. Lesson? I will take a spare hanger in my pack next time for sure, but how much is too much? I can't have a spare part for everything!! But I would rather be DFL and finish than have to quit part way.

Hard hard lesson....

Big ring = No chainsuck
    Yep, I had this happen at nationals last year. I was doing really well, looking for the win, and snapped my hanger for no apparent reason (no branches or anything). I figured, "OK, I've still got the short track tomorrow to salvage my top level fitness." No such luck. Yet another random mechanical rendered my bike unpedalable while I was off the front.

In both cases, there was nothing I could do about it and nothing I could have done to prevent it. You just can't get too worked up about it... it is mountain bike racing after all.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Come race day you ALWAYS carry a spare mech hanger, odd on it'll break the day you'll forget it, that and spd cleat bolts with a dab of loctite already dried on, those things have a funny habit of going missing on race day, fine on any normal ride though......

Oh and brake pads, and a powerlink, you never know.
    Last edited by Huxley555; 07-26-2009 at 06:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Less is more. Singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You carry this stuff with you in the race? or do you have it in your tool box?

mtbr member
    Last year I had a branch tear off my derailleur about 5 miles from the finish of a 50-mile race. Super pissed, I rigged things up single speed, pushed the last mile or so uphill, then fortunately it was downhill single track and flat paved road to the finish. This year I have a spare derailleur hanger in the pack. I guess moral of the story is that it happens.

But for shorter XC races I don't bother and only pack spare tube, CO2, and multitool w/ Powerlink.

Brant-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_chick
    well today was race day, my first enduro type xc race ever and I had prepped meticulously. Feeling awesome out of the gate, I was passing people effortlessly on the first climb despite my goal of just finishing in one piece.

but it was not to be my day - 1.5hrs in, still feeling great, the giy in front of me kicked up a branch into my drivetrain and my derailleur hanger snapped in half. I had to carry my bike out to the nearest marshall. Duly pissed, I wrote off my race, decided to take off my derailleur and see how far I could get going singlespeed. still not to be, however, when the rest of my chain snapped not long after.

I had to exit the course using a combination of coasting and pushing. Talk about an anti-climax to my hugely anticipated race. Lesson? I will take a spare hanger in my pack next time for sure, but how much is too much? I can't have a spare part for everything!! But I would rather be DFL and finish than have to quit part way.

Hard hard lesson....
    tube, co2, powerlink. that's it.

the rest is in the toolbox.

the more you race the less stuff like that will happen.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

It's about showing up.

Congratulations on a great effort!

Luck is a big part of it and there is just no denying this. On this day yours was bad. I'll bet you carry a spare derailleur hanger from now on. Keep your chin up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    Less is more. Singlespeed.
    not if you intend to win