Thread: weekly training

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

weekly training

How much or many hours should I train for? Also what type of traing-weight, intervals or what type of mix should I do?

Please give me some examples of your weekly traing.

I'm a 36 year old XC sport rider. I consider my self a mid pack racer. Of course I want to improve to a top 5 guy next year and thought you guy's could help me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by concordracer
    How much or many hours should I train for? Also what type of traing-weight, intervals or what type of mix should I do?

Please give me some examples of your weekly traing.

I'm a 36 year old XC sport rider. I consider my self a mid pack racer. Of course I want to improve to a top 5 guy next year and thought you guy's could help me.
    At least 30 hours a week is necessary, and most of that should be power lifting.

Seriously, train for the race you want to win. If its a 1 hr, 2 lap sport race with 4-6 big climbs, something like 6-10 hours a week with half of your time devoted to improving your climbing through intervals and the rest endurance/recovery work would be ok. This is just a guess, as you haven't said what the course or competition or your limitations are like. Ask the people who are placing top 5 how they train, and train like them.

XCdude

There is a lot of books about how to do it, here is

some online help. I personally have books by burke, Morris and friel. I have been following morris mainly because I like the way he does it, makes sense to me . Burke and friel are bibles very in depth so it takes a couple of reads. But you have plenty of time to get in great shape for 2007.

http://www.cptips.com/toc.htm#trntips

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by concordracer

Please give me some examples of your weekly training.

Take some time to read some books and research online. What you're looking for is called a periodized training program for cycling. Each training program is unique but they typically follow similar guidelines of periods. Each period is designed to lead into the next and the overall plan is designed to make you fastest during your racing season.

I'd also recommend assessing your goals and creating controllable performance based goals in addition the results based goals you listed. For example, beat a certain time up on a course, or race without bonking, or dehydrating. Or race with negative splits if you do laps.

It takes time to improve. Sometimes a year or two.

Think about getting a coach. It can save a lot of trial/error on your part. At 36 I didn't want to mess around anymore and got some limited coaching. It helped me immensely.

Members who have read this thread: 0