mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Wayne Ultra 40mi XC race

Next weekend I decided to enter a 40mi XC race in eastern ohio. It's been awhile since I've raced and I'm looking for advice in relation to diet, training, rest, etc. Is there anything I should avoid or definitely do the week prior to a race? Suggestions? Ideas? Things that work for you?

mtbr member

one philosophy

The taper approach I use is to try and maintain my normal training intensity, but at a reduced volume. For example, if you normally go out and ride for two hours with some hill efforts 4 times a week, you might want to try 3 times this week for an hour with the usual intensity. Many racers take the day two days before the race completely off, and do something short with some hard efforts the day before.

IMHO the two biggest mistakes the week before a race would be to suddenly start doing training rides harder and longer than normal, or to completely take the week off (from riding).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    The taper approach I use is to try and maintain my normal training intensity, but at a reduced volume. For example, if you normally go out and ride for two hours with some hill efforts 4 times a week, you might want to try 3 times this week for an hour with the usual intensity. Many racers take the day two days before the race completely off, and do something short with some hard efforts the day before.

IMHO the two biggest mistakes the week before a race would be to suddenly start doing training rides harder and longer than normal, or to completely take the week off (from riding).
    +1 on this. The week before the race should be done like regular training but cut a bit short.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu

I would say that is the generally accepted method to taper and is used by all kinds of elite endurance athletes (runners, cyclists, swimmers, etc.). Reduce your volume but keep the intensity the same.

If you ride every day, I'd take a day off sometime during the week--but not the day before the race. Take a day off 2 or 3 days before the race, then ride with reduced volume and some short but harder efforts the day or twp before the race to keep yourself sharp. For a 40 mile race you should also hydrate real well in the 48 hours before the race and eat plenty of good carbs from sources like fruit.