mtbr member

Water and Honey for a 33 mile race...

Hey all,

I am going to race a 33 mile route this coming weekend. The longest race i have done is ~ 14 miles and I did not take any fluids (although it was around 50 degrees out). I am planning to carry one bottle with a cage but am not sure if it would be enough h2o.

How much fluid do you all generally anticipate drinking on a 3 hour race; and do you just keep it in your jersey?

Also, I am planning on taking several ounces of honey at mile 15 (generally what I eat on marathons). Just curious if any of you have used honey then switched to Gu, HammerGel... and if you noticed any difference.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have been using honey in my gel flask for years. Got tired of paying high prices for energy gels. In my marathon races I have a bottle with sustained energy that I sip on and a flask full of honey diluted with some water so it is easier to get out. Take a shot of honey every half hour. I can't tell any difference between gels and honey. I mostly used Hammer gel before I switched.

Giant Anthem
    When racing, 20-24ozof water per hour. If I go below this (especially in the heat) then performance seems to take a hit. For 3 hours you'll need 3 bottles; if it's 85deg plus you'll need more possibly. With this said I've broken my own advice and got away with less hydration, sometimes with bad results and sometimes with no problems. 2 bottles on downtube with cages and one in jersey if there are no feed zones.

Honey or gels would work. Some would say that the gels (maltodextrin based) are superior but I've experimented and found anything with simple sugars work for me in a hard ride or race. Some gels have small amounts of aminos in em and other additives that are supposed to help during a race but with my experimentation I've found no difference in cheap, homemade fuel verses expensive gels.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    typically as you go over an hour, protein is really helpful. Products like Perpetuem contain protein. You could experiment with adding soy powder to your honey.

I have been liking perpetuem added to my water bottles. I have one bottle per hour and don't have to remember and calculate adding other nutrition as I go.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

I appreciate the input and will adjust my ratios accordingly. Seems we mostly agree that nature provides the best solutions.

Take care,
    AP

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Honey

I use honey in my gel flask. I'm way too cheap to pay for gels. I put a teaspoon of molasses and a pinch of salt subsitute in mine to add Pottasium and also add some instant coffee to cut a bit of the sweetness. Seems to work pretty well.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    all depends on your weight, sweat rate, and caloric burn rate.

I'm 82kg and take in about 30 ounces an hour at race pace for anything over 2 hours. Honey is fine but make sure you have some electrolytes so you dont cramp.

I use, water, accellerade, honey, and gels during my longer races.

Members who have read this thread: 0