mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Water bottle cages -

What cages are you using these days? I run King Ti on my Eriksen, which work fantastic and look super. My son, however, has a 9.8 and runs trek (BONTRAGER) carbon cages, and is always loosing bottles. May bite the bullet and buy some more Kings...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I run the regular colored Bontrager RL and it has never lost a bottle or my tool roll bottle in super chunky terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FJSnoozer; 11-17-2017 at 08:16 AM.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Blackburn Mountain Cage

the only one that is not BS. 'no look' loads easy, side loads easy, can bend and rebend it a bunch of times it doesn't break. I started with these years ago, tried many in between, nothing lasts as long and nothing is as easy. never once lost a bottle unless it slipped from my hands.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Bonty RL (cheapo, non-carbon version) holds a bottle like a vise, and is the easiest to reinsert a bottle without looking of any cage I've ever owned.

My King cages are fine, too, but allow the bottle to bounce around a bit more, and I hate noise.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have King SS Iris cages, never lost a bottle. Just get your kid some King SS cages and tell him they're Ti

mtbr member
    Williams carbon. Like 1/2 the price of other people and they are awesome.

Also, eBay or amazon China carbon side entry version on my fuel ex. Never lost a bottle and they were like $25 for 2 cages.

My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've had great luck w/ Arundel Dave-o and side/other side loaders. somewhat on the spendy side but with lots of "race" miles and no lost bottles (except when I fail to fully seat the damn bottle in rough stuff -but that's maybe 1 or 2 times out of ??? a bazillionty five?).

Like 120mm xc bikes, I'm sure there are many good/great ones out there but at the moment I have absolutely NO reason to switch. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've got standard Spec alloy cages on the hardtail, never lost a bottle. Went with an Elite Custom Race on the fs bike because it sits a little lower and makes more room for the large bottle, no issues in 4 races now.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bontrager RL

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Iím using the current bontrager RXL with no problems. Very easy getting the bottle in and out and no dropped bottles. Been over lots of very rough ground and drops and jumps.

I tried the Specialized S Works rib cage 2 and returned it because it was like a Chinese finger trap. I could literally pick the whole bike up by the bottle without it budging. Way too hard to use.

I use 24oz clear camelbak bottles.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by peter85 View Post
    I have King SS Iris cages, never lost a bottle. Just get your kid some King SS cages and tell him they're Ti
    My exact thoughts. I run the SS King on my mint green Karate Monkey and it looks great. $15 if I recall correctly. Looks identical to the high dollar Ti model. It's never loosened or rattled and bottles don't get scratched up in it either.

On my carbon mtb and road bike, both Specialized bikes, I run the Specialized composite holders. They look right on those bikes and work very well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    I run the regular colored Bontrager RL and it has never lost a bottle or my tool roll bottle in super chunky terrain.

Yup, RLs on every bike my family owns. I don't downhill, but for everything I've ridden they've held tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The best water bottle cage I've ever used is the Arundel Mandible. It's a little pricey but I've never lost a water bottle from that cage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've tried a few different cages on my bikes. I've finally settled on Bontrager BatCages on the mountain bike. About once every two years the bottom of the seattube one breaks off but other than that flawless. I tried King steel cages and they worked okay but eventually they started ejecting and one broke. I use arundel sports on the road bike, tried them on the mtb, but they weren't secure enough for my needs either.

mtbr member
    I put a cheap-o carbon cage on when I built the bike up. Never lost a bottle, even in a pretty bad crash this spring. $12 and 22grams.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Lezyne Flow cages seem pretty good, really good clunk feeling when the bottle is inserted.

Cannondale Speed cages were the worst i've tried, lost bottles all the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    King Ti on the fancy bikes and Kit SS on almost everything else. Never lost a bottle (knock on wood) out of a cage.

Now I have also had great luck with the Specialized side loader plastic and carbon cages as well. I needed to use one of those on the seat tube of an Epic and my wife's XS sized hard tail. They hold bottles VERY well, but are harder to get in and out of until you practice a bit.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    The best water bottle cage I've ever used is the Arundel Mandible. It's a little pricey but I've never lost a water bottle from that cage.
    Using them on my road bike. You're not going to lose a bottle from one unless it's broken.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Specialized Z cages. Haven't lost a bottle, but easy to easy.

Formerly of Kent
    Specialized Zee side loader. Haven't lost a bottle yet. 3 years on this one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Specialized Zee. Come in both left and right access. Tenacious with Camelbak bottles.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Couldn't recall the name but the Zee is what I have on my Roubaix and StumpJumper. No way anything is getting out of that cage on it's own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I put 2x Arundel Side Loader on seat and down tube at the beginning of this season. No bottles lost so far. I run 24 oz Camelbak on the down tube, standard small bottle on the seat tube. No room for the bigger bottle there.
    -Tim

mtbr member

Water bottle cages -

Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    Iím using the current bontrager RXL with no problems. Very easy getting the bottle in and out and no dropped bottles. Been over lots of very rough ground and drops and jumps.

I tried the Specialized S Works rib cage 2 and returned it because it was like a Chinese finger trap. I could literally pick the whole bike up by the bottle without it budging. Way too hard to use.

I use 24oz clear camelbak bottles.
    I use the rib cages on my TCX as ive hit washboard on a gravel road and lost bottles, they are frigan tight but work well with spec bottles.

I run bontrager cages on my mtbs
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    here's a different aspect, does anyone know of good cages with bolt holes higher up the cage so that the cage sits lower on the frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I want to know that as well. My actual cage and a bunch of other ones available locally all make my bottles rub the cable housing heavily that runs under the top tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
    here's a different aspect, does anyone know of good cages with bolt holes higher up the cage so that the cage sits lower on the frame?
    from my post above; "...Went with an Elite Custom Race on the fs bike because it sits a little lower and makes more room for the large bottle, no issues in 4 races now."
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
    Problem solvers makes an adapter for that (I'm sure there are others too). With an aluminum or composite cage you could just drill additional holes (depending on the cage you're using) but that seems really limited compared to the Problem Solvers adapter. They're $10ish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    What clamps/systems are you guys using to mount to cage to the seat post? My race bike is a Jet 9 RDO and I need that second bottle for longer races and the Topeak one I had used did not work that great. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Veganrider View Post
    What clamps/systems are you guys using to mount to cage to the seat post? !
    The specialized clamps. Even thought they are 30.9 they stretch to a 31.6.

mtbr member
    Tacx makes a great cage light and strong and they have matching bottles for them too
    https://tacx.com/bottle-cages/