mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Idea! Wahoo KICKR SNAP Trainer & tire wear

Concerning bike trainers like the Wahoo KICKR SNAP Trainer, how much tire wear is there? And will my room smell like burnt rubber?

Wahoo makes a model that doesn't need a wheel on it but I'm not paying $1,100.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ^^^
    I have approx. 20+ hrs on my Snap, Including all out 10-30 sec sprints and have noticed no tire slippage or rubber smell. My Kurt Kinetic R&R would slip and glaze the tire and then squeak. With KK I would have to scuff glaze off tire and wipe with alcohol pad before sprint workouts to improve grip.

I have a CycleOps Trainer Tire (same old tire I used on my KK-R&R) and with 1.5 turns (not sure how many there is supposed to be) there is some fine yellow dust (about a pinch after each ride - meaning tire wear) but it's probably more noticeable because of Yellow tire against black trainer.

BTW: My Snap is MUCH quieter than my KK R&R...In hindsight, not sure what made my R&R so loud...

Regarding Trainer Tires DC Rainmaker says:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/...endations.html

What about trainer tires?

I commented on trainer tires a long while back in a Weekly Mailbag post, so hereís what I said then Ė which still applies today.

I train every day on the stock wheels and tires that came with the bike. Just normal tires and normal wheels. In fact, I donít even bother to swap out for a separate trainer tire. Why? Well, my thinking is that I spend 3+ days a week on a trainer, and the last thing I want to deal with is swapping tires or wheels every time I go inside to outside or the inverse (Iím kinda lazy that way). Further, when you step back and look at the total cost of triathlon or cycling, and the total cost of simply getting a new tire each year due to wear Ė the new tire is pretty low (between $30-45).

Now, if youíre riding race wheels with expensive race tires Ė youíll have to balance the much higher cost of most race tires.

Do trainer tires make it quieter?

Nope, actually, not at all. And I proved this as part of my Tacx Genius review Ė some actually make it louder. Iíve then further confirmed this with a few other tire companies as well. Most of them kinda silently laugh at the fact that people actually buy expensive trainer tires. Hint: Just use last seasonís tire and toss it at the end of the winter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just use a worn out road tire on an old road wheel and dedicate it to trainer use with my Snap. Trainer tires are stupid when most everyone has an old tire laying around. The trainer will square off a regular tire and it also puts a LOT of heat into them. This will kill them faster than a specific trainer tire, but who cares?

I have used a wheel/tire that I'm actively riding on the road for the trainer here and there. But you should avoid this if possible.

I would really discourage riding a MTB tire on the trainer, as it will be hella loud

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys. Were bike trainers originally meant for road bikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ^^^
    I would say originally, yes.

I take you have a mtb you want to mount up? If so do your research on how to secure your axle type and what tire to use. 29ers are easier to now (than 26" bikes were) with larger diameter tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    if you have a 29er, you can easily put a wider road tire on your bike for trainer use. If doing this, I would consider getting a trainer tire since you don't have a donor already.

You can get a slick or road type 26" tire too though, if you're stuck on an older bike. Those will work totally fine with modern wheel on type smart trainers.

Either way, you could pick up a CHEAP wheel to mount on your MTB, put a cassette, and a cheap road tire on it. Then use that for only trainer duty. You can find used or just cheap/heavy wheels very inexpensively. It doesn't even need to have a rotor, since you won't be using brakes on it.

That said, research some of the other direct mount trainers that would allow mounting a MTB. The Kickr is nice, but pricy as you've noticed.There are other less expensive options.