mtbr member

Using a trainer with a 29er mtb?

Hope this is the right area...
    I bought a trainer last night and the guy at the shop said I need a road tire which I knew but said didnt have any for 29er but a 700c tire would fit? I was a bit skeptical of this but took the tire anyways...before I start dismounting my tire like to see if anyone can confirm this? I did try to put the bike in the trainer just to see and the with its stock tire it hits the mounting arm at the bottom before it touches the roller so it needs a smaller tire for sure...
    Any help would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    A road tire should do the trick!

mtbr member
    The 700c will?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage03 View Post
    Hope this is the right area...
    I bought a trainer last night and the guy at the shop said I need a road tire which I knew but said didnt have any for 29er but a 700c tire would fit? I was a bit skeptical of this but took the tire anyways...before I start dismounting my tire like to see if anyone can confirm this? I did try to put the bike in the trainer just to see and the with its stock tire it hits the mounting arm at the bottom before it touches the roller so it needs a smaller tire for sure...
    Any help would be appreciated
    Yes - a 29"er is a 700c rim. Just make sure the road tire you bought is a tad wider than your rim. Depending on your rim's width, a 700 x 28c should be okay.

mtbr member
    Ok thanks for the info! Looks like he gave to small of one then, its a 700x25
    Least I know, thanks again.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage03 View Post
    Ok thanks for the info! Looks like he gave to small of one then, its a 700x25
    Least I know, thanks again.
    Should be fine. How wide is your rim's outer diameter? Typical XC width is about 24mm so the 25 should be fine with a tube. But if you've got a wider rim like a 28mm or 30mm, then I would exchange the 25c for a 32c.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Get a Trainer Tire - quieter, less feedback, much better than a road tire.

mtbr member

Using a trainer with a 29er mtb?

If you have a regular QR rear end you could do what I did. I just bought the cheapest 26" rear MTB wheel and a 26" trainer tire. Cost about $100 bucks total and no screwing around changing tires when I want to ride the trainer. It fits my disc CX bike as well. Perfect solution for me.