Results 1 to 46 of 46
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    81

    USACycling Rule-book question... Pacing Another Rider

    During my wife's race this past weekend, there was another woman who was paced during the race by her significant other. This guy was leading her, coaching her and encouraging her throughout the entire race.

    This was in an Expert/Pro race over a distance of 25 miles. I was pretty pissed. If you can't ride your own race at this level, maybe you shouldn't be at that level.

    I spoke to the race referee who also had noticed the assistance. While he agreed that it wasn't exactly fair, he didn't think it was against any rule. I just did my own research and there appears to be NO rule against this... provided that the guy was legitimately registered for the Expert men's race and was therefore authorized to be 'on course' at that time.

    Anyone have an opinion or know of any specific rule?

    Seems unfair and unsportsmanlike to me.

    Imagine if this happened in a woman's road race... a male racer waited on the side of the road for the woman's race to pass and jumped in to work for a female rider.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

  2. #2
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,494
    Mixed category racing creates some interesting dynamics.

    Riders are constantly paced and blocked by riders in other categories. This makes enforcement of this rule really hard. The case you described certainly doesn't sound right to me.

    Fortunately the benefits of pacing for MTB racing are minimal. A race where you average under 15mph offers minimal advantage to sitting on.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    234
    SO you are saying that she drafted and had an advantage or he was behind her pushing her pace? Did you witness this or did your wife?

    I'd recommend that your wife make a move to pass and get in front of him, and he can then realize the awkwardness of making a two person coached pass to get back around. I once paced my wife from behind after she passed me (blew an unmarked turn while going ham and got lost), I made every effort to not interfere with the race and other women one bit. My coaching was limited to "you HAVE to pass this girl, she is holding you up." I have to say despite my race being blown and having traveled 500 miles to "race" for 19 minutes, this was a fun experience.

    If you have a constant issue with this, just go talk to the guy and propose your road race analogy? Maybe he had a huge mechanical and it was a one time thing?

    I see dads doing this with their kids occasionally.

  4. #4
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,494
    When I think about it many, many years ago my wife and i were about the same speed. We use to always end up around each other in mass start races. At the time I was very careful to never pace her, I would follow her and ask the guys who were blocking her on the downhills to get out of the way.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    81
    LMN - My wife and I are in different categories (she is Cat 1, I am Cat 2) but we often race together in mass start endurance races. We are very close. During one race last year, we even crossed the line hand-in-hand. When we cross paths out on the course we usually taunt each other. Above all, we each ride our own races. I usually start fast and she sometimes will ride me down. When around her, I just make sure that I don't pace a competitor up to her or 'up the road' away from her.

    FJSnoozer - I totally get the Dad's and kids coaching... but this shouldn't be going on at the Expert/Elite/Pro level.

    I understand that drafting isn't a big deal on the MTB. The two aspects of pacing I was most concerned about are:
    • This was a very technical course, lot's of tricky lines, ruts, fast scary downhills and turns. Having a trusted wheel to follow and lead you through the correct lines would have been a huge advantage on this course.
    • There is a physiological advantage to having someone set pace and encourage you through an entire race.


    When multiple fields are on-course together, there is often intermingling. In my mind, that is an equal opportunity advantage/disadvantage for everyone. But when you have one person who has intentionally waited back to assist one specific other rider for the entire duration of the race... that's where it becomes unfair.

    I did see this happen in a race last year also. I am waiting for the results to be published so I can compare names and see if it was the same couple. If so, you bet I will be having a conversation with them at the next race. While the ref did not take any official action, I think he did speak with her about the issue. Hope that helped.

    Thanks for letting me vent... to be honest, this is a lot of sour grapes. It was a long, hot race... my wife was ahead of this woman most of the day but the guy paced by her with the woman in tow late in the race... causing my wife to miss the podium.

    FYI - My wife is 54 and was racing against a bunch of 20 year olds. The top podium went to a pro. I'm quite proud of her.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,137
    I'd be surprised if he paid an entry fee, did you check? I follow my 9 year old daughter in cyclocross, but she is about 50 pounds and the grown-up beginners are on course with her. Quite a few parents follow the little kids, I yell (nicely) at the other dads to get out of the way when they are slowing a racer down.
    Kind of makes you want to register, get in front of this couple and ride a little slow in the singletrack and say that there's a good spot to pass 'just around the next corner'. - I don't encourage doing this, just a 'what if'.
    The best solution is for your wife to ride faster than this other woman/couple, is that possible?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    81
    jimPacNW - This is exactly what the ref said... while he agreed, it wasn't 'fair'... if the guy was registered for a race that was 'on-course' at the time, then there was no specific rule against it and no action he could take.
    Yes, the guy did have a number plate and appeared to be correctly registered. Kinda strange that this guy sacrificed his $50 and his entire race to help. There was no appearance of a mechanical that caused this guy to get dropped from his race and then decide to help a friend... it appeared to be a premeditated strategy.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,137
    wow, then I guess you have the option to do the same thing if it sounds worth the effort.

  9. #9
    I should be out riding
    Reputation: ACree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,546
    Last I checked, road racing had a rule about not interfering with races that were not your own. MTB doesn't have that. Some are even mass start.

    I do agree that it's lame though.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's a motorcycle.

    Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,257
    It is lame, a man yelling at a women to pass is more likely to intimidate or make a women move. (sometimes). I think that if you had someone in front of you clearing out the other riders you would also not have to slow and speed up as much as someone that had to clear their own path. It would add up after a few laps.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    847
    Wow. Definitely irritating! Especially for someone at the cat1/expert level. I could see maybe it happening in a beginner race (or for juniors/kids), but you shouldn't be needing in-race coaching at higher levels.

    I've had my male teammates, friends, and boyfriend catch me in races, and the most they do for me is give me info on how far back the other girls are, which is really all I usually care about. Maybe give me a rabbit to chase for a few moments, but never have ever thought of pacing off of them intentionally! Actually, honestly, if my boyfriend was to pace me we'd probably end up in a screaming match in the middle of the woods, ha!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,137
    Bike racers (especially cx) have more of a sense of appropriateness than other racers (not saying it's a bad thing): I read a car racing book a couple of years ago by Mark Donahue called 'the unfair advantage', and part of what I took from it is that car racers did/do consider that anything not expressly forbidden by the rules is legal, and if it gives you an advantage you should do it, you're almost obligated to do it. It's a good read btw. I think of that when I race my mtb on a cx course where I think it might be better; what will the other guys think?, -it's legal in my series so why not?.
    That might be more their perspective; it's not against the rules, big deal?, so why not? It would be interesting if at more important races we started seeing 'hired guns' riding the same bike (size, everything) shadowing the real racer, guess who's bike always seems to be the one that gets a flat?, or breaks a chain?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    This guy was leading her, coaching her and encouraging her throughout the entire race.
    Strong remarks you are making, yet I somehow realize you are just making that up, unless you managed to watch them for the entire race. Part of it seems an exaggeration made up by you to further support your point.

    Let's suppose that happened and just like you said, they aren't breaking any rule. Is it unsportsmanlike? This isn't a TT where it is strictly forbidden to gain an advantage by drafting, many do draft using other competitors, so maybe the couple thought they were being completely legal and within the spirit of the sport.

    You seem to be pissed off because your wife missed the podium, but I fail too see the unfairness of it, you could help your wife in the same manner. If something is not prohibited do you honestly think competitors won't try to gain an advantage even if the actions are not socially acceptable?

    Specially in the elite field, you will find athletes willing to do anything within the legal grounds to win, after all they are there to compete and succeed.You seem to think the most trained athlete is the one who deserves to win, which is not the case.
    Last edited by TDLover; 4 Days Ago at 05:54 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    81
    TDLover - There were many others who noticed it at different points in the race, my wife was in proximity to it during several prolonged sections of the course and the USAC Ref even noticed it also... not a figment of my imagination. But to your point... yes, I am venting a little here to be sure... and I admitted as much in my earlier post. I appreciate ALL the discussion here in this forum.


    "You seem to think the most trained athlete is the one who deserves to win, which is not the case."
    This is actually something I really like about bike racing... it's also a chess game, the fittest rider doesn't always win. I actually like that.
    Road racing is full of strategy and teamwork. But always working off of fellow competitors who are in the same category and race.
    In MTB... I think you should put together your own race, not rely on outside assistance. If she had been pacing with teammates or even friends registered in the same race and category... I wouldn't have the slightest issue. For me, it's an issue of honor. I don't think it's an honorable thing to take an unfair advantage. The only reason it's not a rule is because it would be un-enforceable. In fact, there are such rules in road racing where it is easy to monitor. Furthermore, the ethic in MTB racing is that you receive no outside support and there are rules to that effect.

    The Motorsports analogy is interesting.
    Again, thanks to all for the dialogue! Good discussion.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chomxxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    Strong remarks you are making, yet I somehow realize you are just making that up, unless you managed to watch them for the entire race. Part of it seems an exaggeration made up by you to further support your point.

    Let's suppose that happened and just like you said, they aren't breaking any rule. Is it unsportsmanlike? This isn't a TT where it is strictly forbidden to gain an advantage by drafting and many do draft using other competitors, so maybe the couple think they are being completely legal and within the spirit of the sport.

    You seem to be pissed because your wife missed the podium, but I fail too see the unfairness of it, you could help your wife in the same manner. If something is not prohibited do you honestly think competitors won't try to gain an advantage even if the actions are not socially acceptable?

    Specially in the elite field, you will find athletes willing to do anything withing the legal grounds to win, after all they are there to compete and succeed.You seem to think the most trained athlete is the one who deserves to win, which is not the case.
    Part of XC racing is being unassisted. A man riding along with his spouse, coaching her, is helping her find the right line to take, as well as injecting her with self-confidence boosting talk which the other racers don't have the benefit of.

    In auto rally racing, this kind of assistance is so important that rally cars have co-drivers, but that's not in the sprit of XC Mountain Bike racing, which specifically prohibits technical assistance outside of pit zone.

    USA Cycling Rule Book - USA Cycling

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    199
    Imagine if every racer had a "coach" riding along with them on the trail...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    TDLover - There were many others who noticed it at different points in the race, my wife was in proximity to it during several prolonged sections of the course and the USAC Ref even noticed it also... not a figment of my imagination. But to your point... yes, I am venting a little here to be sure... and I admitted as much in my earlier post. I appreciate ALL the discussion here in this forum.


    "You seem to think the most trained athlete is the one who deserves to win, which is not the case."
    This is actually something I really like about bike racing... it's also a chess game, the fittest rider doesn't always win. I actually like that.
    Road racing is full of strategy and teamwork. But always working off of fellow competitors who are in the same category and race.
    In MTB... I think you should put together your own race, not rely on outside assistance. If she had been pacing with teammates or even friends registered in the same race and category... I wouldn't have the slightest issue. For me, it's an issue of honor. I don't think it's an honorable thing to take an unfair advantage. The only reason it's not a rule is because it would be un-enforceable. In fact, there are such rules in road racing where it is easy to monitor. Furthermore, the ethic in MTB racing is that you receive no outside support and there are rules to that effect.

    The Motorsports analogy is interesting.
    Again, thanks to all for the dialogue! Good discussion.
    I am empathetic with the situation your wife and you experienced, I know something like this is hard to swallow. Many of us when we first get into the sports, are all honorific and well behaved beings, naive entities, later on we discover how competitive sports truly work.

    The amateur level is where you will find the most honorable races, just personal gain on the table. Also lack of experience, lack of confidence and a relatively lower level of competition means everyone takes the sport in a relaxed manner. Moving up to the top levels you will find how all competitive sports work, a lot is at stake, jobs, money and so on. Every team or individual will focus on exploiting every technicality of the rules to gain an advantage, whether that is an honorable thing to do is beside the point, unless it affects sponsors or the athlete image.

    I'm curious what your wife and you plan to do against this kind of stuff. The way I'm seeing it now there aren't many options at all, I'm guessing:

    • Shrugging if off and hope it doesn't happen again (not recommended)
    • Doing the same as that couple
    • If the situation is appropriate draft on them
    • Keep focusing on training to overcome them
    • Fight for a rule change or calling them out on future races


    I appreciate your receptiveness to criticism, that's a rare trait around these forums .

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chomxxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    I am empathetic with the situation your wife and you experienced, I know something like this is hard to swallow. Many of us when we first get into the sports, are all honorific and well behaved beings, naive entities, later on we discover how competitive sports truly work.

    The amateur level is where you will find the most honorable races, just personal gain on the table. Also lack of experience, lack of confidence and a relatively lower level of competition means everyone takes the sport in a relaxed manner. Moving up to the top levels you will find how all competitive sports work, a lot is at stake, jobs, money and so on. Every team or individual will focus on exploiting every technicality of the rules to gain an advantage, whether that is an honorable thing to do is beside the point, unless it affects sponsors or the athlete image.

    I'm curious what your wife and you plan to do against this kind of stuff. The way I'm seeing it now there aren't many options at all, I'm guessing:

    • Shrugging if off and hope it doesn't happen again (not recommended)
    • Doing the same as that couple
    • If the situation is appropriate draft on them
    • Keep focusing on training to overcome them
    • Fight for a rule change or calling them out on future races


    I appreciate your receptiveness to criticism, that's a rare trait around these forums .
    I think you're being pretty condescending and presumptuous. I posted the USAC rulebook which is worth reading through. There's a lot of us posting from the perspective of high level amateur and pro in this forum and I've never heard of a situation like this, but I think another ref could find a reason to disqualify the couple.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,993
    This happened a couple seasons back here. The woman leading the state xc series for elite/pro had a singifcant other in the men's elite field. He would often race semi hard for a lap, then pull the plug and wait for her. Then usually ride in front of her to pace and show lines. It was a bit obnoxious.

    Likewise at some big mass start long running MTB races (ie Cheq40, Ore 2 Shore, etc) a prominent woman (who has won a few times) would regularly have 5-6 strong guys start the race with her and pace/block wind for her the entire time. There is nothing you could do there, since it's mass start all mixed in. But, it still doesn't seem right when the intention from the start was for help and not just ending up in a group.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    I think you're being pretty condescending and presumptuous. I posted the USAC rulebook which is worth reading through. There's a lot of us posting from the perspective of high level amateur and pro in this forum and I've never heard of a situation like this, but I think another ref could find a reason to disqualify the couple.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not a US national nor have raced any US race, I'm not disregarding the rules you linked, although I did give it a brief read to the mtb section.

    I was giving my opinion based on what the OP said, the referee in that race saw it legal and later on the OP confirmed this seemed to be the case. If someone more knowledgeable can confirm such tactics are prohibited then by all means they should be sanctioned, no debate about it.



    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,040
    I can appreciate the unfair advantage aspect of this. She basically had a coach pushing her the entire race. It's worth disputing.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  22. #22
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,923
    If it's not disallowed, it's by definition, allowed.

  23. #23
    eri
    eri is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    244
    TTUB: I love that you brought this up. Good stuff to expose how creepy some people can be. Hard to believe anyone would defend this behavior, let alone execute on it as a plan.

    Wonder if public shaming would work?

    Because imagine if this were taken to its logical extreme...

    USACycling Rule-book question... Pacing Another Rider-dictator.jpg
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    234
    After you guy have spoken to the husband/couple face to face, if they persist... Never underestimate the power public shaming. I'm not talking social media and local forum whining. I am talking about when she takes the podium announcing/asking:

    "Would you like to come up on the podium with your wife for a picture? C'mon lets get a round of applause for her in course support team."

    Alas, I am kind of outspoken and would reserve this rash behavior to a point where it was actually affecting my wife's race. We still don't know if this is opening up a gap between the two women or what the circumstances of the finishing spread are since you haven't provided those details. If they passed your wife, and then gapped her, I'd say there is a bigger issue. If she is not contending, let sleeping dogs lie and just vent here.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    81
    Thanks again for the discussion... I feel better now!

    I have been hesitant to add more detail and prolonging this, I'm not interested in wallowing in self pity (or spousal pity). Thanks to good discussion here, I'm kinda past it now.

    As has been discussed here, no rules were broken... so I would not take any action like 'public shaming'. We discussed it with the ref, the ref appeared to discuss it with the woman in question. If I see them at a future race, I will express my feelings with them and my hope that it not repeat... but as it is not against the rules, they could do as they wish.

    Strategy was mentioned... my wife is a pretty savvy racer. I think knowing of this will make her alert to it during future races. She might be able to exploit this somehow on course.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,040
    It's still odd that it's not forbidden because it is an unfair advantage. If your wife is p*ssed, she should voice it. Were other racers ticked off?
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    It's still odd that it's not forbidden because it is an unfair advantage. If your wife is p*ssed, she should voice it. Were other racers ticked off?
    I'd imagine it could be hard to enforce. First off, most MTB races are remote in the sense there's not a moto official watching everything that goes on. Second off, it's really common for multiple genders and categories to race together. I've been in races in a pack of 5 or so men. Not because I was seeking their draft, we were just bunched up on the single track in a little train cruising along together. Would I be expected to just stop and make sure the men are so far from me? You'd really have to make it so no opposite genders could be riding together, and that's not really practical in how most mountain bike races are set up.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sbsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I'd imagine it could be hard to enforce. First off, most MTB races are remote in the sense there's not a moto official watching everything that goes on. Second off, it's really common for multiple genders and categories to race together. I've been in races in a pack of 5 or so men. Not because I was seeking their draft, we were just bunched up on the single track in a little train cruising along together. Would I be expected to just stop and make sure the men are so far from me? You'd really have to make it so no opposite genders could be riding together, and that's not really practical in how most mountain bike races are set up.

    Make it against the rules then another competitor would have a broken rule to officially protest, instead of an ethical violation, that can be shrugged off by race officials

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,626
    Lame. Totally against the concept of what we're out there doing, if not the exact written rule.

    Do you see this couple regularly at races? Do others share your concerns?

    If so, I'd say it's time for a group discussion or "intervention".
    Whining is not a strategy.

  30. #30
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,910
    Do not take the tool further up the page as anything but that. There are such things as un-written rules and codes of conduct/honor and this clearly crosses many of those lines, it goes against the very substance that is MTB racing as compared to road racing, it is like when Lance went to the LT100 and brought along his boys to lead him out to the turn around and then hammer back for the win against other, honorable riders like Dave Weins who rode it as intended.

    If it were me I'd be heckling them every lap, taking video to substantiate and show others and publicly shaming them at every race until they stopped. If she is sponsored, I'd be targeting the sponsors with YouTube videos of it, calling them out, make sure to hash tag them, see how fast an upstanding sponsor will stay with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    Thanks again for the discussion... I feel better now!
    As has been discussed here, no rules were broken... so I would not take any action like 'public shaming'. We discussed it with the ref, the ref appeared to discuss it with the woman in question. If I see them at a future race, I will express my feelings with them and my hope that it not repeat... but as it is not against the rules, they could do as they wish.
    Strategy was mentioned... my wife is a pretty savvy racer. I think knowing of this will make her alert to it during future races. She might be able to exploit this somehow on course.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Do not take the tool further up the page as anything but that. There are such things as un-written rules and codes of conduct/honor and this clearly crosses many of those lines, it goes against the very substance that is MTB racing as compared to road racing, it is like when Lance went to the LT100 and brought along his boys to lead him out to the turn around and then hammer back for the win against other, honorable riders like Dave Weins who rode it as intended.

    Nobody had a tow rope on him. Dave Weins was in that lead group until mile 40 and was dropped because he couldn't hang with them, then Lance rode away from everyone on the climb. Doping allegations aside Armstrong did nothing "dishonorable" en route to winning that race.


    Weins own words-

    "I am beat. I rode as hard as I could - a fantastic race. Lance is fast," said Wiens to reporters gathered at the finish.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    During my wife's race this past weekend, there was another woman who was paced during the race by her significant other. This guy was leading her, coaching her and encouraging her throughout the entire race.

    This was in an Expert/Pro race over a distance of 25 miles. I was pretty pissed. If you can't ride your own race at this level, maybe you shouldn't be at that level.

    I spoke to the race referee who also had noticed the assistance. While he agreed that it wasn't exactly fair, he didn't think it was against any rule. I just did my own research and there appears to be NO rule against this... provided that the guy was legitimately registered for the Expert men's race and was therefore authorized to be 'on course' at that time.

    Anyone have an opinion or know of any specific rule?

    Seems unfair and unsportsmanlike to me.

    Imagine if this happened in a woman's road race... a male racer waited on the side of the road for the woman's race to pass and jumped in to work for a female rider.
    How is this different than a teamate or her following a random guy?

    If hes in the race its no big deal.

    I actually have helped a random woman ot two by letting them suck my wheel and not purposely dropping them. Thats part of racing. I had a 15yr old girl riding my wheel in race and i would lead in the singletrack and she would let me draft on the road on my ss. Thats racing.

    Ive also had to run over a 10 year old girl with her dad following her in a race. I said passing on your left and she went left and stopped. I ran her over. I was leading the race by a minute or two. Her dad and I argued and i had to reattach my number plate and by that time second came by. So it goes both ways. There might be a day your wife is holding somebody up also. Ive been held up by the expert women. They actually are experts in letting people by too but not always room.

    I really dont see what you are complaining about unless the person was not entered in the race.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    This happened a couple seasons back here. The woman leading the state xc series for elite/pro had a singifcant other in the men's elite field. He would often race semi hard for a lap, then pull the plug and wait for her. Then usually ride in front of her to pace and show lines. It was a bit obnoxious.

    Likewise at some big mass start long running MTB races (ie Cheq40, Ore 2 Shore, etc) a prominent woman (who has won a few times) would regularly have 5-6 strong guys start the race with her and pace/block wind for her the entire time. There is nothing you could do there, since it's mass start all mixed in. But, it still doesn't seem right when the intention from the start was for help and not just ending up in a group.
    Thats why Lea has teamates. Thats called racing. She has to be strong enough to keep up!!!

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    756
    This is fairly regular in the nue and races like leadville and all that. My gf did an 8:24 at leadville riding her dads wheel for 100 miles

    The Simirils? do this all the time. He carrys stuff for her. This is amateur racing. A guy or gal ciuld be on the juice just as easy. Its all within the rules.

    Now if the husband is holding up other racers from getting aeound his wife totally different story.

    However racing at any level its not someone's responsibility to let you get by. Its yours to pass them safely. Its a race. Drafting is part of it. I cant even believe this is a tbread and all these people are crying about how unethical it is. What is this ironman? No drafting? Ill draft anything with wheels. Its called being smart not cheating.

    Two years ago at iceman Troy Wells attacked and Todd Wells got in 2nd and slowed down in a tight spot so Troy could get way out front. Thats the highest level. You think they didnt talk about that ahead of time? They arent even teamates.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,626
    ^^^ True, plenty of teamwork, drafting, etc., but it's generally acceptable within classes, not across classes.

    Sorry, but your gf's awesome Leadville time will always have an asterisk by it (drafted by Daddy).
    Whining is not a strategy.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    ^^^ True, plenty of teamwork, drafting, etc., but it's generally acceptable within classes, not across classes.

    Sorry, but your gf's awesome Leadville time will always have an asterisk by it (drafted by Daddy).
    As opposed to drafting a teamate? That makes no sense. Top peak ergon brought a crew of racers just to get Alban and Sally the record. Drafting is part of leadville. Its not like he waited up for her. They ride together and train together. Hes 63 shes 33. They are naturally equal speeds.

    If this person was entered in the race. Didnt unsportsmanlike block anybody from passing this shouldnt even be a thread on mtbr.

    I can not comprehend the genesis of this post. So they didnt break a rule? What is the main point he is trying to make? He should have told his wife to grab his wheel and blasted off past the people in question forcing them to chase. Racing. Bikes.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,626
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Its not like he waited up for her. They ride together and train together. Hes 63 shes 33. They are naturally equal speeds.

    I can not comprehend the genesis of this post. So they didnt break a rule? What is the main point he is trying to make?
    Now you've provided more information w/r/t the Daddy Factor, so fine, I guess. I still believe that cross-category assistance is kind of lousy.

    But I've always felt that there are both "the rules" and "the spirit" of endurance racing.

    To each their own.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    When I think about it many, many years ago my wife and i were about the same speed. We use to always end up around each other in mass start races. At the time I was very careful to never pace her, I would follow her and ask the guys who were blocking her on the downhills to get out of the way.
    Im confused.

    You would ride behind your wife and yell up ahead of her for guys to move? That seems corny and what this guy is crying about.

    Why wouldnt you just get in front of your wife and let her draft you and make passes in places where you could both get by?

    Im confused by the word being used. Pacing. Is this something other than drafting?

    Are you saying at iceman your wife doesnt draft men? I would think that would be a great idea. I would give her a tow gladly if we ended up next to each other.

    The woman who got 2nd is the fastest woman in the state. She rides on a fast team. They have a planned strategy every race. She starts the elite women's race and the fastest mens ss rider in the state catches her from behind, tows her up to their teamate in the elite mens field and they absolutely roast people that way.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Now you've provided more information w/r/t the Daddy Factor, so fine, I guess. I still believe that cross-category assistance is kind of lousy.

    But I've always felt that there are both "the rules" and "the spirit" of endurance racing.

    To each their own.
    Ive honestly not done a large scale endurance race. So maybe there is "unwritten" rules. I know i was for sure planning to draft anything with wheels on my ss. Man woman child. If they are entered in the race to me we are all racing. Sonya Looney drops most of the men then rides with a group at the front of the overall. She drafts men without remorse.

    Im just failing to see what this person did that affected anybodys race. Long story short she drafted off another racer. Ive talked to other racers on courses i know saying we have this or that coming up want to work together. Im on a SS so im begging like a homeless person for tows.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Ive also had to run over a 10 year old girl with her dad following her in a race. I said passing on your left and she went left and stopped. I ran her over.

    So that's how you guys in the motor city roll huh?
    I brake for stinkbugs

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    So that's how you guys in the motor city roll huh?
    I love when you take the time to take what i wrote and edit it to fit your narrative. Shows me you love me. You put so much care into trolling me its borderline stalker. If you werent a grumpy old man i may be worried.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,863
    Ha ha, you're the troller, I'm just a silly rock bass. "I had to run over a 10 year girl" is pretty juicy bait though, even a wily old walleye might have bitten on that. $hit, I just wasted 42 seconds!
    I brake for stinkbugs

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Ha ha, you're the troller, I'm just a silly rock bass. "I had to run over a 10 year girl" is pretty juicy bait though, even a wily old walleye might have bitten on that. $hit, I just wasted 42 seconds!
    Agreed, I guess Beg/Sport SS is a hugely competitive race in the Motor City.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Ha ha, you're the troller, I'm just a silly rock bass. "I had to run over a 10 year girl" is pretty juicy bait though, even a wily old walleye might have bitten on that. $hit, I just wasted 42 seconds!
    When someone stops in front of you at 16mph its unavoidable. I didnt say ya guess what i did today ran some kid over. I was making the point ive had to try and get around helicopter dad AND the ten yr old and we had a coming together. Its not like i ran her over and kept going. I helped her get up, stop crying, etc. Her dad obviously got mad for no reason cause his daughter was crying, etc. Its easy to twist my words to fit your narrative because typing out complete concise posts isnt my thing. If you isolate " i ran over a kid" it can make me look bad. Which is exactly your intention. In every thread i post you quote me and isolate a few words of my post and try and make a scene. Youre a corny old man playing on the internet to entertain yourself. Most of your posts refer to "back in the day".

    And then obviously captain clown after you had to try and make a condescending remark to me and about Detroit. Clowns. Not regular dudes having a convo on a forum trying to get better. Entertainment.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    513
    Nothing against Detroit, I worked in an industry affiliated with Detroit at one time in my life. You are the common denominator. You are arrogant and I'm not sure why, you state things as fact with authorty and then get called out by people more knowledgeable than yourself on the topic. It's a fairly consistent theme on this forum.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate View Post
    Nothing against Detroit, I worked in an industry affiliated with Detroit at one time in my life. You are the common denominator. You are arrogant and I'm not sure why, you state things as fact with authorty and then get called out by people more knowledgeable than yourself on the topic. It's a fairly consistent theme on this forum.
    Definitely not arrogant. Never judge a book by its posts on a random internet forum. I have a chip on my shoulder. Thats different than arrogance. Im not afraid to say things and be wrong either. Thats how every great invention and innovation came about. Challenge the status quo. If i was better at putting my thoughts into words all my posts would make more sense.


    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Big Blue Book and Shop question
    By bfldworker in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-27-2015, 08:35 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 11:50 AM
  3. Win Rider Mel's Book and a Bontrager Computer
    By evanholt in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM
  4. Half Rule and 10% Rule Questions
    By coopdad in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
  5. Another question about pacing for a 24 hour solo.
    By crimecrusher in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •