mtbr member

USAC rules encouraging sandbagging?

Went to sign up for a USAC sanctioned race last week only to find that I was only allowed beginner/sport class. Checked with the race director and was told that while you can buy a single day license it's not good for expert class. This would be probably one of max two races that I would do that are USAC since most nearby races aren't sanctioned. An annual license cost $60 and would still force me to sandbag in sport class to accumulate enough points to upgrade to CAT1. I wouldn't have an issues if all the races were sanctioned but with very few choices in the area is makes no sense to do USAC races. I'm a expert riding in the VORs series which means racing sport earns me no points/team points. From talking to some of the local race directors becoming a sanctioned race would added a huge cost making them double entry fees.

mtbr member
    Same thing happen to me last year, sort of.....

I thought I was sandbagging, did three Cat 2 races and didn't win any of them (3rd, 7th, and 2nd places).

Earned the Cat 1 upgrade by 3rd race with no wins.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

I'd rather be riding
    They just opened up the swva shootout (assuming that's what your talking about) to OPEN Expert class, you just buy a one day license. Check the facebook event page for info. Also there is a sanctioned series in va this year!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Went to sign up for a USAC sanctioned race last week only to find that I was only allowed beginner/sport class. Checked with the race director and was told that while you can buy a single day license it's not good for expert class. This would be probably one of max two races that I would do that are USAC since most nearby races aren't sanctioned. An annual license cost $60 and would still force me to sandbag in sport class to accumulate enough points to upgrade to CAT1. I wouldn't have an issues if all the races were sanctioned but with very few choices in the area is makes no sense to do USAC races. I'm a expert riding in the VORs series which means racing sport earns me no points/team points. From talking to some of the local race directors becoming a sanctioned race would added a huge cost making them double entry fees.
    The rules are not so much designed to encourage sandbagging as they are designed to encourage people with too much pride to sandbag to buy an annual license.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    They just opened up the swva shootout (assuming that's what your talking about) to OPEN Expert class, you just buy a one day license. Check the facebook event page for info. Also there is a sanctioned series in va this year!
    It was the shootout so I'm glad they created the open expert class. I checked out the usac "sanctioned" series for VA most of the races are a good drive away and they don't seem very organized this year. Maybe next year I'll get an annual license and travel.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Fusac
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think USAC is already making its rules in a future fantasy world in which all races are sanctioned. Project the rules onto a season where you're only going to sanctioned races, and going to the same number of races, and I think they make some sense.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending USAC though, because I think they hate cycling. It seems to me that if they wanted to serve mountain bikers well, they'd take a look at the situation as it is - in which people tend to race a mix of sanctioned and non-sanctioned races and different regions vary (there's one sanctioned race in my state, mostly just for people who want to qualify for Nationals) and come up with a way to let people self-seed in appropriate classes and keep moving fast people up out of the slower classes.

Of course, I'll most likely buy my road license again this year. At least racing at the track means that my involvement with USAC is really my involvement with a particular group of officials who are interested in track. I like them. Also, can't help suspecting that if my track became independent, the officials would come with it...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

You can also petition for an immediate upgrade based on your racing history.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

If they cared about the sport, a one day license would be good for any class, they'd recognize results from non usac races for upgrades, and a mtn/road license wouldn't be 90.

"Fusac" - I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I think USAC is already making its rules in a future fantasy world in which all races are sanctioned. Project the rules onto a season where you're only going to sanctioned races, and going to the same number of races, and I think they make some sense.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending USAC though, because I think they hate cycling. It seems to me that if they wanted to serve mountain bikers well, they'd take a look at the situation as it is - in which people tend to race a mix of sanctioned and non-sanctioned races and different regions vary (there's one sanctioned race in my state, mostly just for people who want to qualify for Nationals) and come up with a way to let people self-seed in appropriate classes and keep moving fast people up out of the slower classes.

Of course, I'll most likely buy my road license again this year. At least racing at the track means that my involvement with USAC is really my involvement with a particular group of officials who are interested in track. I like them. Also, can't help suspecting that if my track became independent, the officials would come with it...