Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

US Cup Pro XCT #1 Bonelli

Who attended? Awesome course! Here are the results for the amateurs...

http://www.uscup.net/up/file/BONELLI...S-CAT1-2-3.pdf

Great start to the year for lots of people!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    WOW, you were tearing it up out there! Great job on your win.

I had a pretty good race too, but I gotta get out of the old guy's group (40-44), there are just too many fast riders there.

That course was really fun, Ty did an awesome job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks!

I was having a good day it seems.

Allison got quite a lot of pictures that she posted on facebook....

She even took pictures during bottle exchanges!

My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I had a blast. A great event with a great turnout. Running a 1X9 (11-32) was not the best decision. I never had a chance to recover. Still, pretty happy with my results. There was a pretty big pile up on the pavement at the start that I got stuck behind, so I didn't hit the single track in first as planned. Oh well..

I ended up camping at the RV park. That was great. I met a bunch of fellow racers doing the same thing. It would be cool to take over a portion of that RV park eventually with all mtb'ers..

Anyone going to Keyesville Classic? That is one of the best venues in S. Cal IMO..

Free camping, great food etc...

**What websites have pics from the event??

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    **What websites have pics from the event??
    I have only found one so far: http://www.inclinephotography.com/f426185648

There were so many people taking photographs all over the course; I am assuming that there must be other places as well...
    Cor

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'll be at Keysville, love that one!

I ran 1x9 also, but I think that lack of rest feeling was the course, not the bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've got a couple of shots

Might upload a couple of short vids later...
    Last edited by aohammer; 03-14-2011 at 10:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Drove down from San Francisco for this. Great course & great race, loved it.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    thanks aohammer! post the video for sure.

Amazing how far out ahead Sid got. I left after lap 4 to head back to the campsite. I thought for sure that he had won....nope.

Here is me lap three I think..

http://www.inclinephotography.com/p5...0b4a#h37ca0b4a

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It was such a great time on so many different levels... Met some great people, watched some of the pros work their "stuff", and had a great race on a great course. Good times...

Here is a pic of me on my trusty old '96 Stumpjumper during lap one:
    http://www.inclinephotography.com/p128932252/ed44ac24
    Cor

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So did anyone else pick up a safety pin in their tire. I know of three people (myself included) that got safety pins in their tires! I'm not too paranoid, but I think someone was trying to make things more interesting out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails US Cup Pro XCT #1 Bonelli-bonelli-safety-pin-close.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    So did anyone else pick up a safety pin in their tire. I know of three people (myself included) that got safety pins in their tires! I'm not too paranoid, but I think someone was trying to make things more interesting out there.

could have been a leftover from a cross race or some other race. stans is wonderful stuff!!!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Not Stan's... I race for SLiME

XC racer
    May 2005
    Just curious...without handcounting the results sheet, anyone hear how many amateur entries there? Some of the "nationals" I have been to have smaller turnouts than our state races, I would think SoCal would have pretty good numbers.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A lot, I races cat 3 30-34 and there were 18 with me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott
    Just curious...without handcounting the results sheet, anyone hear how many amateur entries there? Some of the "nationals" I have been to have smaller turnouts than our state races, I would think SoCal would have pretty good numbers.
    Thought I would dump the results into excel and see, because I thought as a 45-49'er, I'd be in a small group... turns out, it was the biggest group. I debated going Cat 3 for my fist race, and that would have been 1/3 the size, but I wanted the extra lap.

Unofficial total (all amateurs): 634
    Cat 1 men: 174
    Cat 2 men: 243
    Cat 3 men: 121
    Total women: 63

Cat 2 age distribution:

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancemac
    Thought I would dump the results into excel and see, because I thought as a 45-49'er, I'd be in a small group... turns out, it was the biggest group. I debated going Cat 3 for my fist race, and that would have been 1/3 the size, but I wanted the extra lap.

Wow - thanks for that! Would be really interesting to see YOY info or even the info from March vs. Sept out at Bonelli the past 2-3 years.

FWIW, 20 pro women and I heard 77 pro men for XC. Not too shabby for a national level race in mid-March

Don't shoot the messenger, but likely it was from one of the Pro's body numbers that inadvertently fell off mid-race. Similar to CX races, the Pro's all had one body number on their backs facing timing and sometimes through crashing or just a quick number pinning the safety pins fall out. Glad your tire held up anyway!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My Teammate, Todd Booth, picked up a safety pin too! That seems like more than a coincidence. Luckily he held pressure and was able to make home for a 2nd in the Cat 1 40-44.

mtbr member
    I had a great weekend and a decent showing I suppose. Still learning how to get better results in the big Pro fields.

Here's my write-up: http://claassenmtb.blogspot.com/2011...pro-xct-1.html
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50
    I had a great weekend and a decent showing I suppose. Still learning how to get better results in the big Pro fields.

I am not sure what to think of the 80% rule. I guess that on such a tight/short course it is a good idea. On the other hand, it would be nice to know exactly where you fit in after a complete race right?

New bike on race day...ouch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    Who attended? Awesome course! Here are the results for the amateurs...

http://www.uscup.net/up/file/BONELLI...S-CAT1-2-3.pdf

Great start to the year for lots of people!
    I noticed your signature changed, the fact that Lea Davison is riding a Specialized Epic must have forced a change in your declaration...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate
    I noticed your signature changed, the fact that Lea Davison is riding a Specialized Epic must have forced a change in your declaration...
    its about time some of that tards declarations have been changed

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate
    no. lea rides an Era. signature would still hold water if allison weren't having a really tough time with an injury this year. i wish lea all the luck with her new ride! she had a good start to the year after coming off injury as well!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

XC racer
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancemac

Cat 2 age distribution:
    Thanks for the info. Our first Texas State race last month had 716 total (we do run Pro/Open classes for both men and women, but they are not figured separately) and the second one this past weekend had around 550.
    I totally agree with your observations about age groups. When I started racing in 1997 at age 40, our group was small and the ones older than us almost non-existent. Now I race against 25-30 in just the Cat 1 50-59, we have around 10-12 in our 60+! And all of the Cat 1/2/3 groups from 30-50+ are big, 19-29 seems smaller, I think because of college, starting careers, families, etc.
    We've had healthy junior groups for awhile but looks like that's going up a notch this year too. We had 118 juniors 18 and under in all Cats at the first race and more girls than before. XC mountainbiking has been in a slump for years but I'd like to think it's resurging a bit this year, only time will tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50

Be sure to post up a review on that Tallboy when you get a chance, it's on my short list (although it may be a ways out before purchase), and while there are plenty of reviews of it as a trail bike, I'm curious of it as a full on xc race bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast