mtbr member
    May 2011

uphill strava times, is 1,264ft vertical in 4.6 miles in 22 minutes legit + awesome?

to be clear that wasn't me above

I just recently got strava so starting logging stuff, I logged my first uphill for the hell of it.

above trail is mostly fire road up with some single track sections (less than 5% single track).

I felt Like I was riding it pretty fast uphill, but I was riding a full DH bike with full armor and backpack. Took me 49 minutes and I was almost dead at top.

So when I looked at strava best time is 1264 ft vertical 4.6 miles in 21 minutes 40 something.

even if I had a non dh bike, no gear etc etc I really don't think I could best 35 minutes or maybe even 40 minutes.

is that time world class? or just good? or just cheating?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I've cut my climb time in half on some trails since I first started. It's an impressive time and I can't say for certain if it is real or not, but if we assume the rider has gone up there so many times it begins to sound possible.

It's all conjecture from here on out though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    hmmm now that I look closer I guess it must be legit since there are some close times

unless everyone is cheating

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 5miles near Los Angeles | Times and Records | Strava

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Not knowing the trail or trail conditions it's really hard to say. But it's only an average grade of 5%; maintaining 12.5-13 mph on a fireroad seems doable to me..or not.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    It seems plausible. Like the OP, I just started using Strava (today actually). I did a climb at lunch - 1607' vertical on moderately technical singletrack @ ~9k above sea level in 46:33. I am about 5:30 off KOM. Given the difference in in altitude, technicality and the fact that I'm by no means a professional XC racer, the time doesn't seem unrealistic.
    Now with more vitriol!

Always in the wrong gear
    WTF^^^^^^ spam much?!?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Its legit, you can tell by the guys' other rides/times on Strava and Googling him shows he has good USA Cycling results. I'm not familiar with that climb but search shows it looks like much is pretty smooth fireroad. Its possible to go up that on a light cyclocross bike or fully rigid mtb with skinny tires which gives near roadie speeds on dirt. Riders at top of list are Strava addicts who will 'pull out all the stops' for KOM on a segment.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    WTF^^^^^^ spam much?!?!
    Is there something I missed? I don't see any spam.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    one mans thread is another mans spam?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    to be clear that wasn't me above

I just recently got strava so starting logging stuff, I logged my first uphill for the hell of it.

above trail is mostly fire road up with some single track sections (less than 5% single track).

I felt Like I was riding it pretty fast uphill, but I was riding a full DH bike with full armor and backpack. Took me 49 minutes and I was almost dead at top.

So when I looked at strava best time is 1264 ft vertical 4.6 miles in 21 minutes 40 something.

even if I had a non dh bike, no gear etc etc I really don't think I could best 35 minutes or maybe even 40 minutes.

I checked the Alp deHeuz I beleive the tour rode it at about 4500 vert ft/hour....

So this guy was doing 1264*60/22=3500 vert feet/hr...

Not quite world class.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I checked the Alp deHeuz I beleive the tour rode it at about 4500 vert ft/hour....

So this guy was doing 1264*60/22=3500 vert feet/hr...

Not quite world class.
    right but thats on tar road?

not on fireroad with some single track

also this ascent is not even. the last 0.75 miles of it averages about 11 degree gradient climb, which is pretty steep

so I think its probably pretty close to a world class rider?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    right but thats on tar road?

not on fireroad with some single track

also this ascent is not even. the last 0.75 miles of it averages about 11 degree gradient climb, which is pretty steep

so I think its probably pretty close to a world class rider?
    What ever you would be surprised at how little the surface contributes to the vertical rise speed....

Gravity is dominate.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ok so to summarize its a good rider, but not world class, most likely riding a super lightweight or hybrid bike, carrying no gear, only essential water.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    or just a good mtb rider.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Averaging 11.8 MPH on a 5% grade and the race results that come up when you google his name, the time is fast but not at all unrealistic. More like just a fast local guy in a normal mountainbike.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    That totally looks legit to me. It's a good time for sure, but by no means does it seem out of place. A nice Cat 2 climb, but the bottom few miles is relatively flat...i bet you could really stay jammin for those for 2 miles or so which would bump up the average speed nicely. And I bet with the correct gearing this time could even be done while on a single speed as well.

also, click the 'performance' tab and look at the estimated power profile. Definitely not in a car. A couple of spikes in the 1000 - 1100 where he gunned it but that isn't out of place and the rest looks normal to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

I know that route well. Too well.

One of the top-10 times on that list is this guy: The Official Website - USA Cycling

The top of that list are some very, very fast local riders.
    - Could they do well as amateurs in NorCal? Probably.
    -Could they be Domestic BroDeal Pro who has a job Pro?. Probably, if things worked out.
    -Paid a salary Domestic Pro? Maybe, but that's a whole other level.
    -Internationally ranked Pro? I doubt it, but don't trust my opinion.

mtbr member
    I think a world class rider would do it well below 20 minutes. The guy mentioned in the previous post is a fast 49 year old masters racer.

Humbling isn't it : )

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yeah i was already humbled, I put my theoretical max at 35 minutes, lol

Always in the wrong gear
    O sh!t sorry fellas when I checked the forum the post above mine was in some giberish and not readable. thought it was a spammer. My bad and apologies to the OP!

mtbr member
    Around here we have national and international pro racers results show up on strava. They post some crazy fast times. Conditions can make a big difference. I have KOM on the hill finish for a local road race series. I had a tail wind, .5 mi, 80ft; average speed 24.8mph. I was just riding it as intervals but beat out a few pros.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat View Post
    Around here we have national and international pro racers results show up on strava. They post some crazy fast times. Conditions can make a big difference. I have KOM on the hill finish for a local road race series. I had a tail wind, .5 mi, 80ft; average speed 24.8mph. I was just riding it as intervals but beat out a few pros.
    I just did something vaguely similar the other day. Which is why I always take specific times with a grain of salt, especially as you get into the top-10 on roads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OP, I also think that's completely realistic.

One of my faster off-road climbs I've GPS'd is 344m over 3.3km, in 17:23 (or 1130 feet over 2.0 miles) @ ~10.5% grade, and I'm certainly not world class

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the time is definitely legit

I did the same run in 33 minutes on a hardtail s-works bike this weekend

and I am NOT very good at uphill at all.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I was in a race yesterday that was 5.5 miles on rough pavement, and was about 1400 vertical feet. The winners were about 21 minutes on a road bike, and the fastest mountain bike was about 28 minutes. So a little longer and more climbing than yours, but probably a better surface to make up for it.