mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Upgrading to XC race bike hardtail

Hi guys, currently I have a Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon 11.3kg, I am thinking of upgrading to hard tail either a 27.5(8.8kg) or 29er(9kg), would it make a big difference? I am trying to get into podium

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Unless you are at the pro level, I think more training will get you to the podium faster and cheaper than a new ride...

If you are just looking at the weight, just spend some money on some lightweight tubeless wheels for your Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    No, it will not put you on the podium. Unless your getting fourth or fifth already, but even then it may not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    for every .735 kg you lose on a bike its equal to losing .9 seconds per .83 km a lap for the first lap and .89 seconds for every subsequent lap divided by your height in mm multiplied by the course elevation and divided by the temperature.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    By the way, some courses, riding styles, etc. favor full suspension. So even if you dropped weight, it doesn't mean you are going to be faster if you put yourself on a bike that doesn't match up with the other variables.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    A hard tail demands a bit more skill with regards to picking clean lines..this could potentially slow some racers down who are used to just plowing through everything.

Also, what jcm01 said is correct.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks guys for the response, after the comments I received from here, where in, there will be not much significant improvement in my speed if I change my bike, which I believe also (the skills and fitness of the rider is much more important than the bike) I decided not to purchase a new bike(27.5/29). Is changing a tire, bring more significant improvement (sorry off topic in this forum)? Currently I use racing ralph 2.25 tubeless(I went for tubeless as I am afraid to get flat tire), I race non technical course, normally between 40 to 50 km

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think tires can make a difference in that, over a long course the rolling resistance can effect the amount of energy you need to spend to maintain the same pace. Racing ralph's are a low rolling resistance tire (as compared to an ardent or other meatier tire). Another way to conserve energy is to draft (if possible). Bottom line, it really boils down to your fitness level and mountain bike riding skills that will determine your place on the podium.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by blurxc11 View Post
    thanks guys for the response, after the comments I received from here, where in, there will be not much significant improvement in my speed if I change my bike, which I believe also (the skills and fitness of the rider is much more important than the bike) I decided not to purchase a new bike(27.5/29). Is changing a tire, bring more significant improvement (sorry off topic in this forum)? Currently I use racing ralph 2.25 tubeless(I went for tubeless as I am afraid to get flat tire), I race non technical course, normally between 40 to 50 km
    The Racing Ralph is a pretty fast tire already.. You can get a much lighter wheelset, I am assuming. Some of the light carbon ones are around 1500 +/-g for a set.

Also, a wheelset (assuming that you stay in the same size) can be moved to your next new bike later on which is nice.

Always start with wheels!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So, on one hand you are thinking about a new bike. In the other hand, you are just thinking about doing some hard training. Why not put those hands together? Use the new bike as part of your motivation? Get worthy of your new race steed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by criscobike View Post
    So, on one hand you are thinking about a new bike. In the other hand, you are just thinking about doing some hard training. Why not put those hands together? Use the new bike as part of your motivation? Get worthy of your new race steed.
    Already doing hard training, I don't think a new bike will make a difference on my motivation but definitely there is always room for improvement especially on my training plan and off the bike training. I just tried a 29er this afternoon, my impression is it felt sluggish compared to my bike (blur xc), on the other hand, based on my research 29er hard tail is the fastest for xc racing

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I ride a 29HT but my friend had an epic and stumpjumper hardtail. He sold the HT as when timed himself local trails the epic was always faster even on surprisingly smooth stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic XC View Post
    I ride a 29HT but my friend had an epic and stumpjumper hardtail. He sold the HT as when timed himself local trails the epic was always faster even on surprisingly smooth stuff.
    Yup, pretty much my experience too. Don't get me wrong, I love the lower weight and efficient power transfer HTs provide, but for me, the course has to be really smooth for them to be faster.