mtbr member
    Mar 2013

The Ultimate Indoor Trainer + Game System?

Ok, among other things, I consider myself a fairly avid gamer (disclosure!).. and have been following a certain technology that should.. revolutionize gaming experience.

So I'm wondering.. combine the same physical technology as the CompuTrainer (RacerMate) and then combine it's software with the Oculus Rift (www.oculusvr.com). Would this be the ultimate training experience?

Imagine doing one of the adventure cycling routes in your living room

ragley blue pig x

Re: The Ultimate Indoor Trainer + Game System?

Ive been looking into buying a spin bike and was thinking about buying this years isle of man tt superbikes video so i can stick the tv in front of it and kid on im cycling at 190mph + on two wheels.

I did see an excercise bike that can be hooked up to google maps street view im wanting a spin bike though ^^

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I could imagine (I wish I had the time + money to do it).. but use an oculus VR compatible game engine (Unreal) to create a true-to-scale route, using the actual topography of the route for the environment (USGS data).

Imagine if you could train for a race, by doing the actual race in a virtual environment (the bike hardware would give you elevation feedback) in your living room?

Heck, you could go one up, implement a "7.1 surround" fan system that would somehow give you live weather condition data as far as wind speed and direction. The software would then control these as well to provide a real time wind scenario (the bike hardware would adjust your resistance to compensate as well). Heck, and it could even pull up live traffic conditions

Ah, if only I had a few million dollars to research this and to hire a crap ton of game devs. Believe it or not, this exact scenario may be coming in the next couple of years. But.. I can imagine that it would only come to normal people's living rooms if the price is right.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: The Ultimate Indoor Trainer + Game System?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    I could imagine (I wish I had the time + money to do it).. but use an oculus VR compatible game engine (Unreal) to create a true-to-scale route, using the actual topography of the route for the environment (USGS data).

Imagine if you could train for a race, by doing the actual race in a virtual environment (the bike hardware would give you elevation feedback) in your living room?

Heck, you could go one up, implement a "7.1 surround" fan system that would somehow give you live weather condition data as far as wind speed and direction. The software would then control these as well to provide a real time wind scenario (the bike hardware would adjust your resistance to compensate as well). Heck, and it could even pull up live traffic conditions

Ah, if only I had a few million dollars to research this and to hire a crap ton of game devs. Believe it or not, this exact scenario may be coming in the next couple of years. But.. I can imagine that it would only come to normal people's living rooms if the price is right.
    Or you could just go outside and ride your bike. The wind and sun really feel real, and the resolution on the graphics will blow your mind. It's 3D too!

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac