I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

UCI Weight Limit?

Do they impose a bike weight limit on World Cup XC race bikes like they do on ProTour road bikes(14.95 lbs)?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Team Awesome
    No.

Photog Cyclist.
    Actually I think they do. But there ain't any WC worthy bikes that anyone would race that weigh under the limit.
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The rule is in place. They don't actually weigh the bikes so I guess someone could be breaking it. But I doubt it.

mtbr member
    So what is the weight limit?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

ups and downs
    Interesting... from the UCI MTB racing rules

7 Equipment

4.1.037 The use of radio links or other remote means of communication with riders is forbidden.

4.1.038 The use of tyres fitted with metal spikes or screws is not permitted.

4.1.039 Bikes used for competition must comply with an official standard for mountain
    bikes. (Article introduced on 12.06.08)

UCI's Technical regs for bikes but it only applies to road, track and CX bikes. So they don't seem to have a published standard for mountain bikes on the website. I wonder if MTB's are covered by the same 6.8kg minimum weight rule for bikes as the road and CX bikes..

1.3.019 b) Weight
    The weight of the bicycle cannot be less than 6.8 kilograms.

2 Technical specifications

Except where stated to the contrary, the following technical specifications shall apply to bicycles used in road, track and cyclo-cross racing.

The specific characteristics of bicycles used in mountain bike, BMX, trials, indoor cycling and paracycling for riders with disabilities are set out in the part regulating the discipline in question.

This was interesting though...

1.3.004 Except in mountain bike racing, no technical innovation regarding anything used, worn or carried by any rider or license holder during a competition (bicycles, equipment mounted on them, accessories, helmets, clothing, means of communication, etc.) may be used until approved by the UCI executive bureau. Requests for approval shall be submitted to the UCI before June 30th of any year, accompanied by all necessary documentation. If accepted, the innovation shall be permitted only as from January 1st of the following year.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would think the demands of the mountain biking in general and World Cup race courses--especially when considering the speeds the pros are riding--are pretty effective in ensuring the bikes don't get too light. When those guys and gals toe the starting line they know their bike is going to take a significant pounding and it is going to need to be able to take some abuse.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    6.8 Kilos is less than 15lbs which if someone gave me to ride in normal MTB terrain I'd say "you first". Of course I remember when a 22-23lb MTB was considered insanely light so who knows?

Photog Cyclist.
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    So what is the weight limit?

It's listed twice above, both in pounds and kilograms

And once below too
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    23mjm: It's listed twice above, both in pounds and kilograms. And once below too

If you did not bang your head against a wall that much you might be able to imagine that when I started typing my question that post was not there. But you would have to stop that head banging first.
    Last edited by serious; 12-13-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sabine's bike at the olympics is about the lightest bike I've seen used in a WC level race. It was under 16lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    oops

ups and downs
    ...as long as it wasn't under 6.8kgs (14.96 pounds).

It seems that there's a lot more tweaky light and risky stuff for WC level riders at the Olympics. Go big or go home. That and their usual product sponsors don't always apply so they can sub the usual stuff with super light stuff that only had to last 2 hours.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think hers was 7.2kg. Pretty amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Cannondale Flash is listed at 16.6 stock, it could be yours for only $10g.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    The Cannondale Flash is listed at 16.6 stock, it could be yours for only $10g.
    No pedals and Furious Fred's. Light bike, but doesn't count Sabine's was lighter than that, had bar ends, and real tires (Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron).

That Flash is HOT though.

LA CHÈVRE
    There is a lot of places to drop more weight on the stock Flash, the seatpost is pretty heavy, FSA bars, rotors, saddle...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sounds cool for those who can afford a disposable bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    There is a lot of places to drop more weight on the stock Flash, the seatpost is pretty heavy, FSA bars, rotors, saddle...

Very true. You'd have to overcome a lot of weight penalty from going to real tires though.... even going to just Rocket Ron 2.1" front and rear would add a couple hundred grams.

Also, isn't the seat post on the Flast one of the unique selling points?

It would be a shame to buy a flash and ditch all those parts. Can you get one as just a frameset?

LA CHÈVRE
    Yeah, the tires are not for every race courses that's for sure.

The seatpost can be a selling point, but if you want a racing hardtail, even with a normal seatpost, the Flash should be more comfortable than most. The post weighs about 240gr by the way.

Yes, a Flash can be bought just as a frameset.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    While ridiculously expensive and has silly tires on it, it's cool to see mt bikes lighter than my road bike which was really light 10yrs ago. With a few mods, like the ones mentioned above and running a 1x10 setup like JHK and Craig have run, you could be right at the UCI limit, at least on the courses that you can run those tires. I would snap most of it in half during the first race, because it's def not clyde friendly, but it's still cool.