mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Two training bikes. One has to go. How'd you decide? Help me decide.

Hoping to get some input from mtb racers who have been in my shoes before: selling one bike or the other.

I have a 2010 Scott CX Team (alum) and a 2012 Scott CR1 Team (carbon). Both purchased for great prices at end-of-season clearance. I'm in both dirt cheap.

Purchased the CX to test the waters of training on road and the local tame mtb trails when my mtb racing went to the next level. It was nice, but the on-road handling wasn't to my liking and it beat my arse on the chipseal for hours even with 25c tubeless tires (probably should have went up to 35 or 42c), and the novelty of riding smooth singletrack got old (I can catch fish with a broom stick, but why not use the right tool for the job) so I purchased the road bike. Much lighter (not that big of issue since I train solo and never race, just the usual pavement pounding during the week) and I like the geometry better. A 28c tire fits. Maybe it's placebo but the SDS rear triangle made chipseal riding a bit more tolerable. In hindsight so would a different seatpost, gel tape, etc.

I'm thinking of parting with one to clear up garage space and get $$$ for next year's mtb racing, but don't want seller's remorse, hence this post. I never plan to race CX, our local gravel roads have all but disappeared, but the ability to run monster tires is attractive. Plus the CX has smooth Ultegra throughout while the CR1 has new 105. In a perfect world I'd get a carbon CX bike with discs and a lower bb and longer wheelbase, like the new Giant TCX SLR2, but I don't need an expensive non-mtb training tool and I'm afraid it'd be a middle ground bike still: not great on road, not used much off-road since I have a carbon 29er, 650b FS, SS rigid 29er, etc.

Have any of you been in my shoes? Two bikes with overlap and one had to go? Did you have seller's remorse and ended up spending more money to buy a similar bike? Yes, I can afford to keep two, but cleaning up the garage and getting $$$ is as important. Thanks in advance for the input toward this not-too-critical situation.

mtbr member
    I'd sell everything and buy an awesome mtn bike. Buy whatever bike you think is best for your racing. That's the bike that matters the most to you. Get other tires or maybe even another wheelset for that mtn.bike. If you don't do road races and usually ride solo then you can do your road work on that mtn bike. Yes, it's harder and you'll be slower but who cares, you're alone and doing TRAINING.
    Once you're happy with your racing bike then I'd buy an awesome road or cross bike. 2 awesome bikes are better than 5 meh bikes.

mtbr member
    Sell the cross bike. A cross bike will never be as good a proper road bike on the pavement and never as good on the dirt as mtn bike. They work very well when you need both a mtn bike and road bike on the same ride. If don't have plans to use it that way what is the point? I have a mtn bike for the dirt and carbon road bike for the pavement. For me the only place I would use a cross bike is for a commuter where I need ride pavement and smooth dirt paths on the same ride. Of course where I live now it is just too far to commute, but if I had mixed 50/50 smooth dirt /pavement commute I would be all over a cross bike.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sell both and get the Giant TCX SLR2.... life is short.

If that's not an option, sounds like the RB fits your needs better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There are about 4 Giant dealers within 20 minutes of my house, and not one has any CX bikes coming in. Each say the market is too small. One dealer has a closeout 2013 TCX 0; sitting for about a year. Too similar to my Scott and sans disc brakes of course.

The Scott CX went on Craigslist today, and sold immediately.
    Last edited by westin; 09-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    CX racing is lots of fun, but if I didn't have racing opportunities I would probably not use my cx bike, even though it is the nicest bike I own, -nicest bike I've ever owned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Take off the Ultegra before you sell it, shifters, drivetrain, Deraileurs, sell the 105.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My CAAD10 thinks it's a CX bike..........

Anyway,
    I'd sell the CX bike. I like riding the road for mtb training as I can just go from my house. I also love being out on the road in the mtns. Those long climbs help the mtb climbing too.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Since you don't race CX, then sell the CX bike.

Sell it now since CX season is just starting. You'll get max buck out of it.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    And that's what happened: first respondent to my CL ad purchased it for a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Since you don't race CX, then sell the CX bike.

Sell it now since CX season is just starting. You'll get max buck out of it.