Bro Mountainbiker

TUE for Ventolin inhaler

Is this necessary? Any other asthmatics know?

According to USADA, the status for the drug is "conditional". The note at the bottom of the screen says:

"Salbutamol is not prohibited up to a maximum of 1600 micrograms over 24 hours. This threshold is not valid in the presence of diuretics. If you are using a diuretic you must have a Therapeutic Use Exemption to use both the diuretic and salbutamol"

What does this mean? You are allowed no more than 1600mcg in a 24 hour period?

Each dose is 90mcg on my prescription. So you are safe with no TUE unless you would use 18+ puffs a day? (which is a ridiculous amount)

Thanks,
    Just trying to get all this sorted out before the season picks up too much!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    I believe USADAs website may be incorrect regarding this drug.

They list the active ingredient in Ventolin as "Salbutamol", when in reality the active ingredient is "Albuterol".

But on the other hand, the drugs are very similar. They may be tested for in the same test with the same trigger limits.

Ill get in contact with them...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Last I heard you didn't need a TUE any more. Now when you are tested there is a "declaration of use." Basically they ask you what medicines you are take and you would list your inhaler as one.

But don't quote me on that. The rules for these things change all the time.

On a side note, since testing is now going to be happening in categories other than elite. Everybody should be using this site Global DRO to make sure they are not inadvertently doping by taking something like Niquil when they have a cold.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine