mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Tubular MTB Tyres

Looking at running tubular tyres (yes, we Brits can't spell properly!) for longer distance (100km to 200km) races. Forget all of the cost/benefit/hassle arguments - they are all well documented on this site. I guess my only fear is a puncture half way through a race in a foreign country where they do not speak English....

Has anybody had direct experience of running Tufo, Geax or Dugast tubulars as a race day set up and if so which models and what were their experiences please? Were they 26 or 29er?

Thanks

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have spent a bit of time on some Dugast tubulars. I would like to say that they are just like a regular tire but unfortunately they are awesome. However, they are a pain to work with and the side walls are fragile. When you do flat, which will happen, you are walking a long ways.

Out side of an Olympic XC course where you have a pit every 2.5km they have no place on a MTB.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member

Agree with LMN

An endurance race is the last place I would use tubulars. You might have some luck running sealant, but it's not worth the risk.

I'll be building up a set for next year, but to be honest, I really only expect to race them in a few races with shorter laps and pits.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    You might have some luck running sealant
    Except every Duguast Tubular MTB tire I have seen doesn't have a removable valve core.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've heard the Geax are built more with durability in mind, and also come in a more reasonable size if you're using a 29er than the 45mm Dugasts. But since I haven't actually used mountain tubulars, its just heresy coming from me. Interested to hear responses though. I'd kind of like a set of the Geax for my 29er since I know I like Saguaros in regular old tubeless, but I don't know of any good 700c rims for a tire that wide other than the Enves, which is waaaaay beyond consideration for me due to price. Maybe Velocity Major Toms would be wide enough at 23mm. Some cheap light Taiwanese hubs and tubulars could make for some awesome race wheels if price and durability aren't absurd.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I guess I am narrowing it down to a pair of these:

TUFO XC4 - Tubular

Suitable for marathon apparently and at 550g may be tough enough.

Tufo sell sealant and the valve cores are removeable.

But the fear of a flat is ever present.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My experience with tubulars is on the road and in cyclocross. That said, I am using Tufo Flexus Primus tubulars as my main tire in this years cyclocross season and I think my experience is applicable to the mountain bike tires. Tufo tubulars, unlike most tubulars, are vulcanized and do not use a seperate tube. Thus, they are less flat prone and, importantly, are perfect for adding sealant. If you puncture, the sealant in the tire will stop air leak immediately and if not, you just add some more sealant, which can be done "on the road."

The cyclocross courses in my part of the United States are full of rocks and hard packed earth with lots of point scrub brush (no lush grass here). A lot of people flat on our 'cross courses. With Tufo tires, I've never had a flat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm based in the UK and had a look at several options - we are the UK importer for BOR including the XMD 309T rim in both 26 + 29er versions. I have ridden the 26 version with Tufo XC2 Plus tubulars. The ride is supple and fast. The tub is light compared to the Geax I handled. The new tubular Racing Ralphs are now in the UK, these look great and are light as well. The Velocity Major Tom works as well for 29er tubular applications.

I personally think MTB tubulars are for 1 hour XC events rather than long haul racing.

I'm new here so I won't plug our own stuff too hard but you can contact us in the UK if you need help or advice.

Best, Jon @ Strada Wheels