mtbr member
    Sep 2007

tubeless > spare tube?

Been doing some xc racing...and recently went tubeless.

what do you carry for flat repair? Ive been carrying a tube, lever, C02...

Im not much of a weight weenie (ok maybe a little) but damn that stuff is heavy. Ive been tempted recently to not carry anything.

anyone else take the risk during a race? Thoughts?

psycho cyclo addict
    I carry a tube, carbon mini pump, a bit of duct tape and tiny sticky worm/plug kit (no tire levers). I've had to install a tube once in 3+ years of running tubeless and a sticky worm once (neither occurred in a race). Odds are probably good for not flatting but I prefer carrying a bit more stuff just in case.

CO2 is good but if you don't get enough air in the tire (due to exhaustion, bad luck or otherwise) and you only have one cartridge, it can be a big pain- that's why I went with a pump instead.

mtbr member
    Last night I raced our local midweeks. Carried the following:

-Cell phone (with Strava on of course)
    -Tube (just recently got hold of some smaller 29er tubes)
    -Tire Lever
    -Innovations 10-oz CO2 inside, with one extra
    -Crank Brothers Multi-17

All in my back pockets. One water bottle on the bike.

Man, I race quite a bit and it's been 6 years since I've flatted out of a race.

General word of advice for tubeless: When you check your tire pressure and it's dropped 10+ psi from the day before, then it's time to add a cup of Stans to that tire.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

AZ
    banned
    26" tube, CO2 pump combo, one tire lever and a dollar bill for a tire boot.

noob
    i only carry a big air co2 unless the race puts you a long way out from civilization and ill bring a tube because i dont want to walk that far to get back. if you are racing for series points you might want to carry one. a last place finish will net you more series points than a dnf will, but if its just a race you've already lost anyway.
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thats my line of thinking- if I flat my race is pretty much done anyway, and with any luck I can limp back on the flat...*knocks on wood*

Ive yet to flat my tubeless setup, but I assume with a small hole its a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    With any type of good sealant you should be ok for a thorn or two, which are the main cause of flats in my experience in this area. In the NW we have those Himalayan blackberries (actually from Armenia I'm told), the thorns are just right for the occasional flat. I didn't bring any flat tools in the shorter winter/spring series I did, I figured a real flat would be just like any other mechanical (like broken der. or wheel taco) that would result in a dnf (dnf's do happen from time to time). I haven't flatted yet on tubeless, which I've just been running in 2013. For longer races I bring a spare tube and small pump, I don't like walking my bike more than a couple of miles.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    An extra 300 grams of flat tire stuff isn't going to effect my race and I really hate walking out of the woods
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    If it's a series with points, always carry a tube & tool even if it's a short walk, just finishing versus DNF can make a big difference in points.

mtbr member
    Just yesterday a friend runny tubeless hit a rock just so and tore a small gash in his front sidewall. It was a spare tube that saved the day. I wasn't so lucky. I busted a chain and walked the last quarter mile. Aaarrrrrrggghhhh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    raced yesterday and decided not to carry the spare...I was a little anxious about it. Not sure if I'll do it again.

I see a lot of people carrying large Co2 cartridges on their seat posts but I dont see a tube. Are they just carrying the tube in a pocket?

I had been carrying a tube, 2 16g co2, and a lever, taped together. And the weight isnt a big issue, as much as its just real bulky to carry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The only time my racing buddy flats is when he doesn't have spares with him. For what a tube, CO2, and levers weigh it's not worth the fuss. Seriously, go take a crap before the race to counter the added weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
    raced yesterday and decided not to carry the spare...I was a little anxious about it. Not sure if I'll do it again.

I see a lot of people carrying large Co2 cartridges on their seat posts but I dont see a tube. Are they just carrying the tube in a pocket?

I had been carrying a tube, 2 16g co2, and a lever, taped together. And the weight isnt a big issue, as much as its just real bulky to carry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Get a small saddle bag, as you say weight isn't an issue so put it somewhere you don't have to feel the bulk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
    Thanks for the link! Just what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a small seat bag that holds a big air, tube, patch kit, multi tool, tire leavers, and chain pins.
    I just leave it on the bike, better to,have and not need than to need and walk home.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    General word of advice for tubeless: When you check your tire pressure and it's dropped 10+ psi from the day before, then it's time to add a cup of Stans to that tire.

Best advice I have seen in a while!

Carry a tube and something to fix it for sure. I carry either a Big Air or two 16 gram CO2's, a tube, some levers, a small tool and a few quick links. Most of this fits under my seat with an awesome strap. The tool, with links tapes to it, goes in my jersey.

Even if the time it takes to change a tire puts you out of a race, a tube in your pocket keeps you from a long walk! I have passes plenty of guys who would have finished well in front of me with a tube or link.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I carry a pump, tube, tire lever, and a dollar or rolled up aluminum foil. I've flatted and ran people down after having to add air to a tire. I have heard of people catching back up after changing a tube too. I haven't done that though.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    For multi-lap races just a CO2 canister (in case of a burp!). If I need a tube my race is over anyway!
    For endurance/long lap races - tube, 2xCO2, tyre levers and multitool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'd recommend 2-16g co2 canisters over a big air. One co2 to try with out the tube and one if it doesn't seal up and I have to put a tube in. If you burp a tire and need to re-seat the bead, it's been my experience that the big air comes out way to slow to seat the tire. I carry a cx tube strapped to my top tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

tubeless > spare tube?

Today, I decided to wrap a 29" tube tightly in electric tape and half went down the seat tube and the other half up the seat post. Earlier this year I modified a compact pump holder to hold one 20g and one lever. Just now slipped a 4mm hex and hopefully my dilemma is solved.