Metalheadbikerider

Triceps killing me on LSD rides...

On these 3-4 hour rides my triceps are giving out way before anything else. Any suggestions? Is it bike fit? Riding posture? Being a wimp from not doing long rides in a while? If I remember correctly, my triceps have always gotten sore on these long road rides.
    Anyone have a similar problem that they remedied?
    Help would greatly be appreciated!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member

It may be....

Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    On these 3-4 hour rides my triceps are giving out way before anything else. Any suggestions? Is it bike fit? Riding posture? Being a wimp from not doing long rides in a while? If I remember correctly, my triceps have always gotten sore on these long road rides.
    Anyone have a similar problem that they remedied?
    Help would greatly be appreciated!

It may be a combination of those things. Your seat may be tilted nose down too much. You may be extended too far to reach the bars/hoods. The frame may be too small (top tube length).

You may not be in shape for those long rides. Actually, this probably not the issue if you've been doing lots of trainer interval workouts. Pushups help, though.

I would start with the saddle position. The tilt of it can really affect how your body wants to sit on the bike.

Tryin2B

mtbr member

Agree on the saddle tilt.....

"ASSuming" you have the correct size bike to begin with, sounds just like you need to play around with your saddle tilt....too far down in the front. I just bought a new road bike and had the same proble the first few rides, flattened out the saddle and easily corrected the problem.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by Tryin2B
    It may be a combination of those things. Your seat may be tilted nose down too much. You may be extended too far to reach the bars/hoods. The frame may be too small (top tube length).

You may not be in shape for those long rides. Actually, this probably not the issue if you've been doing lots of trainer interval workouts. Pushups help, though.

I would start with the saddle position. The tilt of it can really affect how your body wants to sit on the bike.

Tryin2B

Metalheadbikerider

Another question...

I'm a total roadbike newbie so please forgive. It most likely is the saddle tilt now that I think about it, but when I am in the drops I feel a lot of pressure on my "nether region." Won't raising the tilt place more pressure there? Should I move the saddle forward to comensate for the tilt adjustment? Or is it a bad saddle for me? I know they are hard questions to answer over the web, but any help would be appreciated.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member

You can raise the stem/bar, too (nm)

Tryin2B