mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Transition from Cross Training to Base after being Sick?

I started cross training (P90X, a little swimming and some weight lifting) at the beginning of November. I had over 5 weeks of training in and now I've been sick for about the last week. I had planned on doing at least a couple more weeks of cross training before adding in some base miles. I can tell that I have at least 2 more days before I'm really going to be ready to start training again. Today is actually the first day that I've woken up feeling reletively decent.

So, my questions is: At this point, should I just forget about the cross training and start focusing more on getting some base miles in?

My first race isn't until the end of March and I wouldn't call it a super high priority race. I've done a few races over the last couple years, but with kids being born and everything that goes along with it, I wasn't able to make it a priority. This year, I'd like to give it all I've got and try to be competitive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Am I understanding correctly, you were planning on 7 weeks off the bike. Why?

Also, what was your goal with the cross-training? Injury prevention? Weight loss? Look better naked?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was really hoping to just build some general fitness since I wasn't on the bike a lot last year. Early last year I did P90X and dropped about 15 pounds. I hoped to use that to get the weight back off before riding season. I wasn't going to do the strict P90X schedule (if you are familiar with it), but I was going to start adding in some bike trainer sessions on the days I would do cardio.

It's about showing up.

I think your short-term health is a greater issue.

A program of diet and activity amidst the stress of family, ramping athletic activity back up, the Holidays, and a consequent illness during a time when people do get ill has some mild red flags for a challenged life situation.

I would encourage you not to rush back into activity. When you do get back I would encourage you to ease into things with either your program or cycling; I don't think it matters a week either way. This event, poorly handled can undermine you general health and make things even worse down the road. As I tell my racer kids; we race but we never hurry.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 12-14-2009 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My vote, FWIW YMMV etc etc, is to get on the bike ASAP. Start building up some volume, don't go crazy at first, be careful about injury. So maybe picture the next month as a "transition" phase from your cross training into full-scale cycling. If outdoor cycling is difficult to arrange then look at doing some spinnning classes, or something similar.

If you are still looking to lose some weight I recommend Matt Fitzgerald's book Racing Weight, it also has a resistance training routine which you may or may not find useful. I've read almost all of it, I think he has some really thoughtful sections on training, the balance between low-, medium-, and high-intensity training, more than just losing weight.

If you haven't been on the bike very much this year then by all means get started! [That is my vote, anyway.]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the advise. Getting on the bike is kinda what I was thinking also.

I'm sure all of the stressors that you've mentioned (family, activity, diet, etc) probably had a little bit to do with my ability to kick my sickness, but I don't really think it had much to do with overtraining. For some reason, I usually pick up a cold twice a year: right about now and when spring allergy season rolls around.

I think I'm just going to give it a couple more days and then start hopping on the trainer if I can't get outside. I agree, I'll just ramp it up slowly until I start getting to where I want.

Thanks