mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Training and Travel

I've just been moved to a job that is going to require a bunch of time on the road. Not too happy about the change for lots of reasons, but, for now, just need to make the best of it.

Will be nearly all domestic air-travel and typically no more than a couple of days at any destination. As a result, bringing a bike along is not a reasonable option. Obviously, at a minimum I'll need to be disciplined enough to at least control my weight and get some exercise of some sort...maybe running or the hotel gym. If I can do this I'll be around 30 pounds lighter than everyone else at my company in similar roles!

I know weekend rides will be critical, and they will also be a bit harder given family responsibilities (that will trump the cycling priority) and household chores (which to the extent possible will not trump the cycling priority).

Also, I signed up to race with a local team for the first time in years and would like to keep my commitment given that they were really counting on another Cat 1 racer.

I think access to a bike of some sort to pedal is a basic requirement. Maybe there is a hotel chain with decent spin bikes or a nationwide health club membership might make sense, or??

So just wondering if anyone in a similar circumstance has figured out some magic training plan that enables at least a respectable showing on race-day.

mtbr member
    Certainly the travel will be challenging. However, If you use the travel days as rest days or days or for regeneration or strength (including core) and easy spins on a stationary bike using the hotel gym, it could work to your advantage.

The days you are not traveling, use them to the max. Ride hard and long, or super hard and short depending on when you are in your training. Leading up to travel days do one or two long rides, maybe a day of rest, then some Vo2 Max, or threshold intervals the day before the travel.

You are probably flying, so using some compression socks or tights may help with swelling in the legs.

Good luck.
    MTB Coach
    http://mtbcoach.com
    XC, Endurance Training and Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Boy, that makes me feel a bit better...sounds like there's hope!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My job requires some travel, not as much as yours but they are usually 3 week trips outside of the U.S. This seems to help me as I usually come back 5 lbs lighter:

1. Eat a big breakfast and lunch with smaller dinners.
    2. Run at least every other day.
    3. Utilize the hotel gym for strength training.
    4. If there is not a hotel gym which is normally the case for me in Europe - Do push ups, dips, and sit ups in the hotel room.

I tried jumping rope outside of hotel in Belgium, but there were so many awkward stares I just had to stop.

By the time I get back motiviation is very high to get on the bike and there is no loss in fitness.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Check out TRX, P90X, Insanity, etc. There's lot's of good workout programs that can be done on the road to maintain fitness.

I generally combine a TRX workout with another form of cardio, sometimes spinning in the hotel gym.

Nail your nutrition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You are on the right track with researching where you are staying, some hotels gym facilities far outweigh others. I choose Hilton for that reason and in some cities (Portland, OR) they actually have a full pay to be a member type gym, had something like that in Denver as well if I remember correctly. Additionally what I have found anyways is you can still get day passes to a National gyms, or the hotel has a comp program if close by.

I think the critical thing like OLx6 and Zach pointed out is what you eat while on the road, kinda tough choice often at restaurants and easy to fall into a bad pattern of eating.

Besides you never know, last year I had a meeting cancel on me so I spent the day out riding a nice rental at Bootleg Canyon...which is really the only way I will ever get paid to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I appreciate all the good input and experiences. I think there are enough options here to enable a bit of variety and also offer a solution for pretty much any circumstance. It's just going to come down to self discipline.

Speaking of which, hats off to OLx6 for coming back from 3 weeks in somewhere other than India at 5 pounds lighter. I used to make similar trips, and somehow my beer, chocolate, long evening meals, etc. diet never seemed to result in a weight loss. Although those trips did improve my gravity-driven downhill speed while coasting.

Members who have read this thread: 0