mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Training question ?

How many days in a row should one ride rotating between mtn biking ,road biking and getting on the trainer?Not in that order either.Also what is the most effective time in one training session to spend on the trainer?Thanks in advance for your input.
    Doug

mtbr member
    That's a hard question to answer. It really depends on what you are training for, what condition you are currently in, what your strengths and weaknesses are, etc. It will also change depending on what period you are in: base, build, or peak.

My schedule looks something like this. I'm limited on time in the afternoons after work.

Monday - 1-1.5 hr easy spin - Road bike
    Tuesday - 1.5-2 hrs total with 3x10 min hill intervals, or 8x90 sec hill intervals. road or mtb
    Wednesday - 1-1.5 hrs Tempo. Road bike
    Thursday - 1 hr with 10-12 30 sec. sprint reps. road bike
    Friday - OFF
    Saturday - 2.5 hrs with 3x10 mins Race pace intervals and simulated start before each. Mtb
    Sunday - 3 hrs road ride in hr zone 1-3 depending on fatigue level. Road bike

If it's the week before a race, I'll taper and have a lighter week of total volume, but still have some intensity work. You just want to be totally recovered and fresh on race day.

I hate riding on a trainer, so I only do that if it's a must. I heard somewhere that 1 hr on the trainer is equal to 1.5 hrs on the road, since you can't really coast. Don't know how true that is.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Definitely a bit broad of a question, but I'll try to help.

Number of days in a row doesn't really depend so much on whether you road a mtb, road bike or trainer--it depends on what you did while riding (how long and what intensity)--in other words, are you able to recover adequately before the next workout? The general idea is to give yourself some rest when you need it. If you do three long and hard workouts three days in a row, you might need a rest day on the fourth day with an easier workout or no workout. Other life stresses can also influence how often and when you need an easier/rest workout day. Some people don't do more than 2 difficult workout days in a row, but I don't think such a generalized standard is useful--in my view, it's best to analyze your personal recovery time frames.

As far as the trainer goes, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. But, I am extremely skeptical of the idea that 1hr on trainer is same as 1.5 hrs on road. I don't measure trainer time like that--in my view, analyzing your recovery from day to day (how you're feeling the next day) is a better, personalized method of determining how hard a workout was (so you can compare it to other workouts) and whether you can repeat it again (or do something else of similar difficulty) the next day.
    -

Addictive website!

TwoWheelTweets.com

All of cycling's twitter tweets in one place!

-

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What is your goal? Everything else is structured around that question.
    mtb, road, trainer.....all the same for the most part. Ride what you want to be good at. There is a place for all tools but specificity is a good guide to what tool should be used most of the time. rides over two hours are good, but he more time constraints you have the more time specific in training you need to be.
    ATV = fat A$$