mtbr member

Training Q - remembering complex workouts

What do you guys do to remember the more complex/long/difficult workouts while completing them? Index cards? Create workout for GPS unit to remind you what to do when?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

mtbr member
    When I had a coach, he would email the workouts. So I would check my phone during cool down periods if I was forgetting what to do.

For complex workouts, I would write them on a small piece of paper and tape it to my stem.

But for the most part, most workouts were pretty easy to memorize.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member

If I'm doing a structured session with varied intervals on the turbo trainer I'll create a workout in Garmin Connect and then send it to my Garmin Edge 500. That displays the workout as a series of countdown timers onscreen so that you know exactly what you're supposed to be doing. There are a few sample interval workouts in this thread, including the Garmin Connect settings so you can see how they're constructed.

Training for the whole next season...on a trainer?!?!?

If I'm riding outdoors then it depends. A lot of the time I'll do any intervals from memory, just watching the elapsed time display on the Garmin Edge 500 to see how long there is to go. When I get home I'll manually mark the intervals onto the ride file in WKO+ 3.0 so it's clear where they were.

The problem with Garmin Edge workouts outdoors is that when the workout on the device finishes it stops the ride recording, even when you're still riding. You have to either put a massive cool down at the end of the workout (to cover however many hours you're doing afterwards) or remember to restart the timer. Otherwise the remainder of your ride after the workout won't be saved in the ride file.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If your cables are run under the top tube, you can tape a little piece of paper with your plan for the day on your top tube for a nice easy view. Not the prettiest way, but it gets the job done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    The problem with Garmin Edge workouts outdoors is that when the workout on the device finishes it stops the ride recording, even when you're still riding. You have to either put a massive cool down at the end of the workout (to cover however many hours you're doing afterwards) or remember to restart the timer. Otherwise the remainder of your ride after the workout won't be saved in the ride file.
    I use the Garmin 310xt. You can set it up on GC workouts page to start cool down but stops the workout only after you hit the lap button rather than prescribing a specific cool down period. On the duration tab select "lap button press".
    I had the same problem until I found that option, my cool down and ride record would end before my ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrafreak View Post
    I use the Garmin 310xt. You can set it up on GC workouts page to start cool down but stops the workout only after you hit the lap button rather than prescribing a specific cool down period. On the duration tab select "lap button press".
    I had the same problem until I found that option, my cool down and ride record would end before my ride!
    Thanks guys, this looks like what I need to do. Some of the 2-3hr rides I just can't keep everything straight, especially when really winded and/or dealing with trail traffic. Hadn't thought to use it indoors either, so that may help on the long trainer rides.

mtbr member
    I put a piece of paper in the plastic bag with my phone, or if they're indoor on rollers, I just have a sheet of paper next to me with the interval lengths & power outputs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrafreak View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

That explains how to do varied intervals throughout a long ride too. When creating the workout in Garmin Connect you add a manual Lap Button Press Step at the beginning of the workout, a manual Lap Button Press Step after each distinct set of intervals and then one at the end of the workout also.

At the beginning of the ride before setting off you'd first turn on the Garmin Edge, browse to saved Workouts, choose the named workout and select "Do Workout". This brings up the workout screen on the device (customise this beforehand to show what you want displayed), press Start and the ride will begin recording. The first lot of intervals don't begin until you press the Lap button though, allowing you to ride out of town to the place where you want to do the intervals, rather than a fixed timer telling you to do intervals just before a set of traffic lights or something.

Once you've pressed the Lap button it runs through the preset intervals (I've put 2x20 minute intervals in the example below). After you've finished those two intervals the next manual Lap Button Press Step allows you to continue your ride for the next few hours until you're ready for more intervals. Pressing the Lap button again starts the 6x4 minute intervals (four minutes repeated six times). After they've finished you then have another Lap Button Press Step for the final part of the ride so that the workout doesn't stop recording until you get home.

You can just keep adding extra intervals for whatever your goal is, using the manual Lap Button Press Steps in between for riding.

mtbr member
    Nice, thanks

mtbr member
    If you want to skip a step whilst doing a planned workout (say you'd planned 6x4 minute intervals but decide to only do five intervals instead of all six) pressing the lap key on the Garmin Edge will skip the current step that's active and move the workout onto the next step in its sequence.
    Last edited by WR304; 10-15-2013 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    mbeardsl, can you share this complex workout? Just curious about it.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    mbeardsl, can you share this complex workout? Just curious about it.
    Pretty much majority in the Coggan books to be honest. Some of the Friel workouts. A couple of the Wallenfels workouts.

For instance:

VO2max Intervals (Coggan)
    15 min warm up <68% FTP
    5 min @ 100% FTP
    5 Min rest @ 68% FTP
    6 repeats of (3 min @ 117% FTP, 3 min rest)
    10 min 68% FTP
    4 repeats of (2 min 113-120% FTP, 4 min rest)
    15 min cool down

NO WAY I'm going to remember anything after halfway through the 3 min repeats in practice.

Always pushing harder!!!
    This is very interesting...I've always taken pride on my good memory, but now that I'm starting to train with a PM, I will write the workouts on a piece of paper and tape it to the stem on long days. Shorter workouts during the week will be done on a trainer so no worries on those.

I'm to lazy to upload workouts to the Garmin...

mtbr member

It doesn't take long to create a workout in Garmin Connect and save it on your Garmin Edge.

Just think of all those hours you'll save from not having to re-write the same scraps of paper each week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I write mine on paper and a cue sheet holder: Cue Clip Map/Cue Sheet Holder > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Handlebar Accessories | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop It works really well.

The Garmin option looks intriguing, but I might need more flexibility on the road. For example, I'll don't always get to a good location to do intervals at the exact time prescribed in my work-out, so I'll add a few minutes of zone 2 so I don't have a stop sign or big down-hill in the middle of an all-out effort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    The Garmin option looks intriguing, but I might need more flexibility on the road. For example, I'll don't always get to a good location to do intervals at the exact time prescribed in my work-out, so I'll add a few minutes of zone 2 so I don't have a stop sign or big down-hill in the middle of an all-out effort.
    I've inserted a section from above that gives you all the flexibility you want:

"That explains how to do varied intervals throughout a long ride too. When creating the workout in Garmin Connect you add a manual Lap Button Press Step at the beginning of the workout, a manual Lap Button Press Step after each distinct set of intervals and then one at the end of the workout also....press Start and the ride will begin recording. The first lot of intervals don't begin until you press the Lap button though, allowing you to ride out of town to the place where you want to do the intervals, rather than a fixed timer telling you to do intervals just before a set of traffic lights or something. "

Fat-tired Roadie
    Another way to do multiple sets with Garmin is just to bookend each workout with some filler before and after. If I'm doing two different intervals sets, after I finish the previous set, I select the new one. When my Garmin finishes a workout, it allows me to select a new one.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    One thing to be aware of, there's a 20 "rule" max.

One way I got around it (haven't tried to see if it actually works correctly), is to nest sets within sets.

This one is 5 sets of 5 intervals with 3 min rest between sets:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Training Q - remembering complex workouts-nestedworkout.jpg  

Always pushing harder!!!
    It doesn't take long to create a workout in Garmin Connect and save it on your Garmin Edge.

Just think of all those hours you'll save from not having to re-write the same scraps of paper each week.
    I work for a 4k employee company with a gazillion printers, copiers and office supplies...I will try and borrow some paper...also, I might try labels that peel on and off...I'm trying to write the workouts now so I can save them and print them when i'm gonna use them.