mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Training On Oval And Round Chainrings?

I'm using a couple of different bikes at the moment for my winter riding and training. I have a singlespeed 29er that's my main winter bike which runs a Goldtec Wonkey oval chainring but my roadbike which I use on the turbo or rollers runs standard chainrings.
    I'm planning on changing the chainset over on my XX1 equipped Epic for a Rotor one with a 34t Q-ring.

Would there be any issues with training on the roadbike on standard round rings but riding MTB on oval rings?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    People bash them but q-rings are awesome. There is small power advantage to them but I find the biggest help being a decrease in knee shear and cramping. I use them on my MTB but standard round rings on my CX bike because the Q-rings do not fit and I have no peoblems.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member

With a chainring like the Rotor Q ring, which is only slightly ovalised, it's easy to swap between round and oval rings at will. There isn't a big enough difference to cause issues.

I have round chainrings on my turbo trainer bike and then a mixture of rings on my mountain bike (round outer chainring with Rotor Q ring oval middle and inner chainrings).

If you were using a heavily ovalised chainring (such as o.symmetric) then it might be more advisable to use the same sort of oval ring as much as possible but that shouldn't be the case with Rotor Q rings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Short answer - no. Long answer - it depends. Largely the biomechanical action is the same for the majority of people, that is the "power phase" of the pedal stroke start around the 1 o'clock mark and drops off around the 5 o'clock mark.

The non-circular rings all try to help emphasise this power phase and limit/reduce etc the dead spots (although they still exist). Generally there shouldn't be any large change between circular/non circular but due to their nature you may find yourself in a bigger gear which often leads to a lower cadence.

FWIW, and IIRC there hasn't been a reliable study yet to prove that there is any power benefit to non-circular chainrings. However the sensation (often of pushing a bigger gear) is preferred by some, myself included, which alone warrants their use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Thanks for the input guys, good to hear that it shouldn't be an issue.
    Now I just need to decide which size ring to go for. I'm currently running a round 32t but was thinking about moving to a 34t. I'm not sure whether to go 32t or 34t with the oval ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i've been having similar thoughts... as far as i can figure the advice to is stick with the same number of teeth unless you want to change anyway ie don't think that you'll want a bigger ring just because of the shape size, its shape will give a larger gear feel through the power section of the stroke for the same number of teeth, balanced by a smaller gear effect through the deadspots.

let us know how you get on, opinion seems mixed on the oval rings so always good to add another person's experience to the list

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

After looking into it a bit it seems that the general consensus is to stick with the same size chainring that I'm using at the moment.

My plan is on hold for the time being though as there is no stock of the XX1 to Rotor spider in stock in the UK and they're not sure when they'll be available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Can you buy them for Rotor US and have them shipped? I just bough a spider last Tuesday and they should still have some.

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeTee View Post
    After looking into it a bit it seems that the general consensus is to stick with the same size chainring that I'm using at the moment.

My plan is on hold for the time being though as there is no stock of the XX1 to Rotor spider in stock in the UK and they're not sure when they'll be available.

2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member

Have you tried r2-bike.com? They have the Rotor XX1 spider down for January delivery. Ordering from Germany to the UK is quick normally and because they're in the EU you don't get hit with any customs charges (unlike ordering from the US).

Spiders:
    http://r2-bike.com/Singlespeed_1

Chainrings:
    http://r2-bike.com/Bolt-Circle-Diameter-76-mm

In terms of chainring sizes if you're happy with a 32T round ring I'd stick with the same 32 tooth size for the QX1 oval ring too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Have you tried r2-bike.com? They have the Rotor XX1 spider down for January delivery. Ordering from Germany to the UK is quick normally and because they're in the EU you don't get hit with any customs charges (unlike ordering from the US).

Spiders:
    Singlespeed: ROTOR Spider LK 76 QX1 for ROTOR Crank - ROTOR Spider LK

Chainrings:
    Bolt Circle Diameter 76 mm: ROTOR Chainring noQ-Rings XC1 1-fach LK 7

In terms of chainring sizes if you're happy with a 32T round ring I'd stick with the same 32 tooth size for the QX1 oval ring too.
    I usually order a lot of my kit from Germany, much cheaper than the UK.
    I've never heard of r2-bike before so I'll need to take a look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just had a response from r2-bike, they don't know when stock will be arriving of the spiders.
    The UK distributor is saying the same thing, no idea when they'll be getting stock.
    Looks like that plan's on hold now then.
    I could go for the new REX cranks rather than utilising the XX1 cranks but 300 for cranks then another 75 for a chainring is pushing it a bit!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Does Rotor do a narrow/wide for XO1 cranks?
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Does Rotor do a narrow/wide for XO1 cranks?
    Athough the SRAM X01 and SRAM XX1 crank spiders have different BCDs (Bolt Circle Diameter, X01 94mm, XX1 74mm) it looks like the spiders on both cranksets are removable and interchangeable.

In order to fit a Rotor ring onto a SRAM X01 crank arm you should be able to remove the X01 crank spider and fit the Rotor spider instead. In order to use the Rotor narrow wide rings you must have a Rotor spider because Rotor use a non standard bolt hole layout.

Original SRAM X01 crank spider (showing splines)
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=65362

Rotor spider which ought to fit onto both a SRAM X01 or XX1 crankarm
    http://r2-bike.com/ROTOR-Spider-LK-7...for-SRAM-Crank

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^^^ This is correct. Just put the q-ring spider on my S-works cranks. The XX1 sram spider will not work.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member

Rotor Q rings have a few different chainring bolt holes for adjusting where the maximum ovalisation occurs at during the pedal stroke. My Rotor XC3 rings have three different mounting options (1,2,3 with 2 being the default).

I always used to use the middle chainring bolt position, and that was fine for years, but it hasn't felt quite right for the last four months since starting riding again and being forced to drastically change my left hand crank length. I've been getting some strain and discomfort down the back of my good right leg whilst pedalling.

As part of trying to fix that I decided to experiment with the oval chainring position. I've used Rotor Q rings since 2009 but had never actually tried anything but the default setting of position 2. Before today's ride I moved the Rotor q rings one position, so that the maximum ovalisation was occurring a little earlier at the beginning of each downstroke by switching the chainrings from position 2 to position 1.

http://www.rotorbike.com/media/files...r_80884855.pdf

On today's ride it did feel quite a bit better. I was reaching the hardest point to pedal a bit earlier and the very bottom of the stroke was smoother for me than it had been previously with the Rotor Q rings set to position 2.

If you have the Rotor Q rings with multiple adjustments available I'd say it's worth trying a variety of adjustments to get an idea of which you prefer best.