mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Training for the intermediate rider simplified:

I'm developing a very simple formula to allow me to make sure I get some decent training into my busy life without having to get too specific.

It goes like this:

Pukey
    Burny
    Boring
    Rest/night off/booze

I.e:
    Pukey = Short hill sprints up to half a min, that make you gasp for breath and feel nauseous. 30-45min session. Feel like jelly for half an hour afterwards.

Burny = long drawn out hills or flats done fast that make your legs burn but keeps your breathing managable (not pukey!)

Boring = rides for a good duration 2hrs+ that are boring but involve nice scenery, gentle flowing descents, easy climbs (bliss after pukey and burny days)

Rest = rest as hard as your train; schedule in a solid night of rest, chatting to your wife, drink a glass or two of wine, behaving like a normal human being.

Repeat.

mtbr member

Training for the intermediate rider simplified:

You shouldn't think of rides over two hours as boring.

My attempt at a memorable training acronym if you're short on time during the week.

H hill repeats
    T tabata workouts
    F fast group rides
    U under over intervals

Edit: Fast group rides fits a bit better than forest rides.
    Last edited by WR304; 05-23-2013 at 02:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I get really uncoordinated climbing hard, so my pukey variation is I practice a 2 min climb, then a little tricky descent with no recovery. I only do it three times. I like the gym too.

Finally, that long ride distance is about right. Keep it about the estimated time of your next event.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not ideal training structure.

Spending 25% of your time on efforts below 30 sec is way to much focus on that one ability. What are you training for??

It would be more effective to train each ability one day each week.

M Short Intervals 30 sec - 3 min
    T Anerobic endurance intervals 5-10 min
    W. Yoga/core strength/weights
    Thur Active Recovery
    Fri 1-2 hour MTB ride
    Sat Race or race pace effort
    Sub 3+ hour boring ride

That schedule gives 5 days on 2 days off which is pretty aggressive and a lot of riding between rest but you get the idea. 4 on 2 off is about all I can handle and feel like I am recovering
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I found this tabata/anaerobic interval article interesting

"the running coach Arthur Lydiard made this observation half a century ago; after months of base training, he found that only 3 weeks of interval work were necessary to sharpen his athletes. More than that was neither necessary nor desirable. Other studies using cycling have found similar results: intervals improve certain parameters of athletic performance for about 3 weeks or 6 sessions and then they stop having any further benefit."
    Effects of Moderate-Intensity Endurance and High-Intensity Intermitten Training on Anaerobic Capacity and VO2 Max - Research Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Not ideal training structure.

Spending 25% of your time on efforts below 30 sec is way to much focus on that one ability. What are you training for??

It would be more effective to train each ability one day each week.

M Short Intervals 30 sec - 3 min
    T Anerobic endurance intervals 5-10 min
    W. Yoga/core strength/weights
    Thur Active Recovery
    Fri 1-2 hour MTB ride
    Sat Race or race pace effort
    Sub 3+ hour boring ride

That schedule gives 5 days on 2 days off which is pretty aggressive and a lot of riding between rest but you get the idea. 4 on 2 off is about all I can handle and feel like I am recovering
    If you look at the time spent on each aspect it works out at 2 x 30min sessions/week of short sprints. In a 8-9hr usual week that's about 15% of my training time.

I'm working on the principle of the harder the session the shorter it is and am feeling pretty good on it despite a very active job.