mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Training and illness

Tis the season that my kids bring home a virus at least once a month. Last winter I had some sort of viral infection at least every 4-6 weeks it seems. Unfortunately our race season starts in January and ends in May. The frequent infections kill a training program. Question: how to restart intervals after recovering from an illness. Example: I'm getting over a cold now and haven't ridden since last Saturday. I am doing moderate intervals at this point in my program. Do I hit it where I left off or do a few rides at lower effort. I only average 6 hours a week, so I don't have a lot of time for base type effort, especially at this point of the year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Listen to your body. I would start with a moderate ride and gradually push it throughout the ride and see how your body responds. I would say it's unlikely that you can pick up EXACTLY where you left off a week ago and still feel strong. Unless your moderate intervals aren't really taxing your body at this point.

My analogy:

If I missed a week of training when I used to do periodized training for powerlifting, I would always restart my workout 5-10 lbs lighter than where I left off. This worked out well when I was nearing my max lifts, but in the moderate to earlier stages I was able to resume where I left off without having to go lighter.