mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Is this training good enough?

Hi, I made my training plan, it is consisted by 3 days of intervals on bike(1 hour), and 2 days of gym and running (same day), and also Sunday's long ride, but rare, just when local club organise it. 2 days are OFF. Is that too small amount of hours on bike (per week) for races which last 45-60min? Of course, I expect to be at least in top 5, but I'm hungry for medals

EDIT: I'm almost 17 years old.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Are all of the interval days the same?
    3 days of intervals might be a lot for a young rider.
    Do you also have a road bike?
    I have seen young mtb racers make the most progress by doing some training on the road.
    Road is important because you can hold steady and controlled efforts- this is much harder to do on the dirt because often your terrain dictates the effort.
    Also, a road bike will allow you to go EASY ENOUGH on easy days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    No, intervals are: one day short intervals, two days long intervals. Winter is coming so in the next few months I'll be on trainer, so I can do those intervals properly. Instead of easy rides, I putted off days, but, if I ride on Sunday some long ride, then I get only one day off. I also wanted to ask is my time on bike (3h per week) enough?

mtbr member

A bit more information would be helpful. Is this what you're intending to do every week, or just for a few weeks before changing it?

If you could lay a typical week out by day with sessions, (including gym and running) and also list the amount of time you expect for each session per day. This sort of layout gives more of an idea of what you're planning:

Monday:
    Tuesday:
    Wednesday:
    Thursday:
    Friday:
    Saturday:
    Sunday:

Which specific interval sessions are you planning to do also? (2x20 minutes, 6x4 minutes etc).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @WR304: Intervals wouldn't be always the same (mostly because of motivation). For example, two long intervals will be 6 min work, 2 rest (but including 12-20 minute work intervals etc.), and short intervals will be some sprints, for example 30s followed by 1 minute rest. I did my schedule trough week days, long intervals will be Mondays and Fridays, and short will be Tuesdays. Gym and running (both together) Wednesdays and Saturdays, Thursdays and Sundays rest. I'm changing it every month, now is just the base, but it wouldn't be too long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So, is 3h a week of cycling (intervals only) enough for podiums in category which is not pro, but isn't recreative? 3h, but I don't count hours in gym and on running.

And, when people talk about their weekly hours, are they counting hours in gym and others, like running?

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Typically weekly hours refer to hours on the bike. I find the sweet spot for me is 10-15 hours depending on the week and the phase of the plan I'm in. Over the winter that is a bit lower with more intensity because I am not one of those people that can sit on a trainer for 3 hrs. This keeps me fairly competitive in Cat 2 and probably mid-pack Cat 1. I do most of my training and racing on the road though, so I lose some time in the technical sections.

Personally, I don't think that 3 hours is close to enough saddle time. I think that you need no less than double that to be competitive.

mtbr member
    If you're almost 17 years old are you racing as a Junior next year (From 1st Jan of year in which 17th birthday falls to 31st December of year in which 18th birthday falls)? In the UK by the time you're a Junior the domestic racing is getting serious.

Mountain biking you have the British Cycling National Cross Country Series whilst on the road you have the Peter Buckley National Junior Road Race Series. As a Junior you're also eligible to race in open 3rd Category /Junior road races against senior riders with no age restrictions. It's no joke trying to get results against half decent opposition.

To give you an idea here's a historic listing of the Peter Buckley National Junior Series results. As a Junior you'd be talking about racing against good riders who will often later go on to turn professional - Bradley Wiggins, Geraint Thomas, Peter Kennaugh, Alex Dowsett, Russell Downing, Steve Cummings, Luke Rowe etc

Peter Buckley National Junior Road Race Series « History « velouk.net

To try and answer the question if you live in the UK then no, riding 3 hours a week isn't enough to be competitive as a Junior rider. It would be a massacre. 10 hours a week would a minimum.

Ideally you want to find a nearby cycling club who you can train with and learn the ropes from older riders.

When counting training hours I only include cycling time in that total. Other activities such as weight training or running would be additional.

When it comes to planning out your training for next season I'd strongly suggest using an existing training plan, rather than trying to make your own. If you're limited for time do the New Competitor training plan from the Time Crunched Cyclist book by Chris Carmichael and Jim Rutberg and follow it to the letter. Where they offer the option of a longer or shorter ride time always pick the longer one.

Time-Crunched Cyclist, 2nd Ed.: Fit, Fast, and Powerful in 6 Hours a Week Time-Crunched Athlete: Amazon.co.uk: Chris Carmichael, Jim Rutberg: Books

I've scanned in the page for you below. The explanation of the different workouts are in this PDF.

http://www.trainright.com/assets/dow...ptions2010.pdf

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Accex View Post
    So, is 3h a week of cycling (intervals only) enough for podiums in category which is not pro, but isn't recreative? 3h, but I don't count hours in gym and on running.

And, when people talk about their weekly hours, are they counting hours in gym and others, like running?
    What category are you racing in? You might crush everyone as a Cat 3, but never get close to a podium as a Cat1 with that training you mentioned.

Perhaps focus on building a base with long slow paced road rides and then kick up the intervals and intensity when the season begins.

Good luck out there. It is great that you are racing at such a young age. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow! Thank You all on those good answers! They're all good, and especially I have to thank to WR304 on great reply!
    But, is it good to train some 2hrs a day for races which are only about 45 to 1 hour long?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think that thing which increases time on bike is long endurance rides, which I can't ride due to weather here where I live, and on house trainer it's imposible to sit that much hours So, I modified my time a bit (because school is factor because I can't do more hours), I can, instead of day off import recovery ride of 1hr, and 2 interval rides I can ride for 1hr30mins. With one interval ride of 1hr it's 5 hours per week, without of 2 days in gym and running. So, do you all think that, except my lack of time in work days, in my plan is missing long ride which should increase training time for another 2-3 hours?

P.S. sorry for bad english, if you can't understand something, I'll explain

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Bottom line is that more time on the bike is always a good thing. Even if you are racing 45 min - 1 hr races, 2-3 hr rides will pay huge dividends. You mention that you can't get out for long rides because of the weather. I assume that you won't be racing until next spring so you should have plenty of time to get out for long rides in the spring.

mtbr member

If you can do longer rides they're worth doing, even when training for shorter events. When the weather improves next spring you can add in some longer rides outdoors too.

On the turbo trainer you should be able to do 90 minutes without problems. Add a longer warmup before beginning the intervals and also add a longer cooldown at endurance pace before finishing to make it longer. A few extra minutes per ride can really add up over time.

There was quite an interesting article by Laura Trott about the British Cycling training program in the Daily Telegraph last year. It talks about some of the training being done for the Olympic team pursuit, which is a short high intensity track event:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

London 2012 Olympics: Training Camp And Mountain Climbs The Acid Test For Team GB Track Cyclists

"You might well wonder why a track rider who spends her life racing around a flat velodrome - well, flat except for the banking - spends some of her most important training hours riding up mountains in Majorca.

It is all about lactic acid. In my main event, the team pursuit, which is 12 laps of the 250-metre track, you get hit by waves of lactic acid in the last minute and a half of a race that lasts 3min 15sec if you are riding at world record pace. How you deal with that is the key part of the race.

I’ve just returned from our second training camp in a month in Majorca, where we have been digging very deep indeed, training hard in the mountains for four or five hours a day. Instead of riding with lactic in your system for a minute and a half, we might spend an hour and a half working hard when the lactic acid has already kicked in.

Lactic means hydrogen levels building up in your blood stream, which your body struggles to eliminate when you are flat out. It can cause bad cramps, a burning pain and sometimes riders even talk of their vision being affected.

Gradually you can build up a tolerance and when it comes to racing back on the track, a minute and a half of fighting the feeling that your body is beginning to close down doesn’t seem so bad. The mountain climbs are a necessary evil we endure because we know it helps massively with the endurance side of the event. It doesn’t necessarily win you a world or Olympic gold medal but you aren’t going to put yourself in contention without it.

So that’s why we have been beasting it again in the hot sun with the ‘highlight’ of our training days being the 10km Sa Calobra climb, which averages a seven per cent gradient but can rear up to 25 per cent on some stretches. Ouch. Majorca’s own Alpe d’Huez. These road camps there are hard work but I love the routine and the confidence it gives you putting in all that high quality training." Laura Trott

London 2012 Olympics: Training camp and mountain climbs the acid test for Team GB track cyclists - Telegraph

----------------------------------------------------------