mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Training on "Girlfriend Rides"?

How do you get a good workout or train while on girlfriend / slower friend rides?

Downshift all the way, spin granny gear at 180 rpm?
    Track stand technical balance?
    Carry extra weight?

mtbr member
    I don't. I slow down, relax, and chat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I choose multiple meeting points to stop and wait at. Then I do my own thing and meet at those points. Or, if you are to ride together, get your work out in before that ride. I'll ride from home and meet my wife places, ride together for a bit, let her go home and I ride home. Gotta get creative sometimes.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Recovery ride.

Or, hill repeats. Climb and decend back to riding partner, then climb again. Repeat until partner reaches the top. Recover until the next hill. Do over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i second the recovery ride. not sure how others would feel but i would kinda feel like a tool riding around back and fourth like a spaz. enjoy the easy ride, or like the other poster said ride to the spot and then ride back getting your workout in.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Recovery ride or make it clear to her that you are going to go hard on hills where you know it is impossible for her to get lost on. Agree to meet at the top. Make sure she UNDERSTANDS that it is totally OK that you wait for her and that is all part of the plan so that she does not feel lame or guilty for making you wait.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I usually hammer the hills, and wait. Or just slow down. Sometimes I ride her speed too. I'll also leave this bike in one gear, and single speed for a better workout. So basically, I call this "saddle time." Mix it up and have fun! Oh, and I'll also use my fat bike occasionally too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You can always find a place for a sprint, and hill repeats like stated above. Also a good time to practice dismounts & running remounts. Or just have a mellow enjoyable bike ride, hmm... remember those?!
    I ride often with slower folk, including my kids, when I want a real workout I have to go by myself, there's also days for easier rides with friends and kids.
    My wife would probably object to me riding with a girlfriend, so I can't speak directly to your situation.

mtbr member
    Luckily I have a wife who's pretty athletic. She used to get podiums in Women's Sport.

But we find it best to road ride together. I'll just ride at high Zone 2 and she'll just stay in my draft no problem. We got 2 hours of riding on Sunday with a little group.

On Tuesday she led a "C" group road ride with some out of shape dudes and accidently dropped some of them.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    I also say just go with a recovery ride and also be thankful that you have a GF that wants to ride a bike with you let alone trails.

Also don't get frustrated when riding with them and just enjoy it, like a previous poster said, " a chill ride, remember those"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Have a child (this stage may be awkward for you). Pull said child behind in trailer while wife rides without a trailer. It definitely is more of a workout without increasing speed too much.

I like the fat bike idea.

You don't have to go fast to get a good workout. A really heavy bike with heavy wheels and tires will do that. A SS will do that to some degree.

You can also just ride while holding the brakes

Again, most of the time I am stoked just to get my wife to go on a ride with me. She gets pretty upset if I race up a hill and leave her alone or do any type of sprint intervals. So most of the time I just enjoy that she is willing to go on a ride with me.

Here is a good analogy. Sprinting away from your sig. other is like her asking you to cook with her and her doing everything while you have to sit there and watch her because she doesn't trust you to do anything or you will mess it up. Now, I LOVE to eat. However, watching other people make food bores me to death.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    I don't. I slow down, relax, and chat.

That's why he's the LOVE COMMANDER! Thanks for the ideas, all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I you do the "sprint and wait", she won't be your girlfriend very long. If you are riding together, RIDE TOGETHER. I should hope her company is better than training for some stupid bike race.
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaier View Post
    I you do the "sprint and wait", she won't be your girlfriend very long. If you are riding together, RIDE TOGETHER. I should hope her company is better than training for some stupid bike race.
    Ditto! +1

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    i should hope her company is better than training for some stupid bike race.
    ^this

mtbr member
    oh, that reminds me, my wife also races, and podiums. So, I should've said that in my post. It slows me down riding with her, but not as much as it would for someone who doesnt race/train/ride quite a bit. I think riding together helps us both out. I can slow down and work on different things, and she can ride with someone faster, to help push her limits. We also stop and hit tech sections a few times if she wants to practice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Or, hill repeats. Climb and decend back to riding partner, then climb again. Repeat until partner reaches the top. Recover until the next hill. Do over.
    Let me guess: you're single?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Let me guess: you're single?
    I did start my post with "recovery ride" which you decided to not quote.

No, married. My wife doesn't ride, but we will hike trails together. She will trail run ahead and come back or wait for me to bring the kids up. I've never had an issue with it. Doing activities together doesn't have to mean "tied to the hip". If you can't handle being separate from your partner for short durations, there may be a dependency issue there. But, what do i know? 1st and only marriage with over 16yrs under our belt. Maybe we're the only couple who don't require the other to make us happy. Or, maybe i had forgot the attention a "girlfriend" requires compared to a "spouse". Its been a long time, but, i do remember girlfriends seemed to require 100% of your life. Wive's are happy sharing your life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Recovery ride.
    My god, that is a brilliant idea, you must be a long-term relationship master.

But the hill repeats idea, that I'm not so sure about. A local XC racer type does that on group rides here and, well, its not a big hit. I don't think it makes the rest of us want to marry him, anyway. Maybe it's different when it's biking not hiking. Or maybe we're all just too co-dependent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I don't think it makes the rest of us want to marry him, anyway.
    I've never met a guy I wanted to marry. But hey, I respect your lifestyle.

bikerbert

Training on "Girlfriend Rides"?

Train beforehand then have fun and enjoy a slower pace with friends. When I was training at my peak, I missed out on a ton of fun group rides because the pace wasn't fast enough.

Hind site being what it is, I would not do it like that again. I would have changed my training schedule around!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Tandem mtb bike.